Do you ever hear shots fired in your neighborhood?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think I hear them on occasion. It's scary, because the way certain bullets are these days, they could go straight through the house wall and hit someone inside with no problem.

The thing is, I live in a very nice neighborhood. I think what's happening is that people drive here from "not-so-nice" neighborhoods from time to time to fire their weapons.

I don't want to make it sound like hearing shots fired is a frequent occurrence. But even once a year is too much for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    I have heard shots. Mostly teenagers firing their parents weapons. I think that is generally the case.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Carol I'm going to guess that some kids are having a little fun with Dad's gun back in the woods. Or something like that.

Where I lived in Chicago we had a gun go off in our back ally. Other than that it's been all far off shots. Not that much and less so over the years.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Occasionally I hear some air rifles, just some teens messing around out back.

that's in california.

in boston, I have heard two gun shots and one shot gun explosion(damn that was loud)
  • Reply 4 of 64
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I think I hear them on occasion. It's scary, because the way certain bullets are these days, they could go straight through the house wall and hit someone inside with no problem.

FYI: most bullets can pierce a house wall, or several, with no problem. And it's not just "bullets nowadays", a 50yr old bullet will work fine.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea the "newer" ones are safer to people in houses. Like "hollow" points or the ones that are split so they fly apart when they hit something.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    I heard a few a long time ago, I lived in the not so nice part of a suburb of Chicago, but I have since moved. I don't hear them anymore, but it was scary.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    My parents lived in a predominantly white neighborhood for years and years then the demographics shifted and it became predominantly black. A piece of rental property was inhabited by young men dealing drugs (mostly white people driving by like it was a McDonald's pick-up window). The home owners lost the property and the drug dealers were booted. The neighborhood is great now. One bad apple can ruin the barrel and give the neighborhood a bad name.

Be careful.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yea the "newer" ones are safer to people in houses. Like "hollow" points or the ones that are split so they fly apart when they hit something.

Hollow-point tech is old as well. Here's the tradeoff:

Soft tip / hollowpoint: deforms on impact, makes a wider wound channel on live target but has less penetration through walls and such.

Hard tip ("full metal jacket"): "cleaner" penetration, harder to stop.

Even if the bullets are hollowpoints, you wouldn't want to stand behind a normal wall or a car door when the bullets start flying. Modern construction just isn't that sturdy. Even a .22 target pistol round goes several centimeters into hard wood material. Average wall is not even that effective in stopping the bullet.

Full metal jacket rifle rounds are the most dangerous to people inside a house in the sense that they will likely go through several normal walls before they stop.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    I hear shots fired all the time when people step to me and I'm like "Step off, fool." and they don't... well... sometimes you just gotta bust a cap, you know what I'm sayin.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

The thing is, I live in a very nice neighborhood. I think what's happening is that people drive here from "not-so-nice" neighborhoods from time to time to fire their weapons.

I don't want to make it sound like hearing shots fired is a frequent occurrence. But even once a year is too much for me.

Not that it is life threatening, but where I live the some of the orchardists ( on the outskirts of the city ) have very high powered "air cannons" to ward off birds.

It's designed to go off randomly in an attempt to scare the flying pests.

Let me tell you, it scares the B'jeebers out of me and sounds like a 105mm howitzer has gone off just down thestreet.

Thing is, the birds fly off for about ten minutes then go back to stuffing their faces.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    As it is more difficult here to get a gun than in the US, it is extremely uncommon to hear shots here.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    I'ne never heard a shot fired in a city in my whole live and I don't expect to ever hear one. But then, I live in Germany where the possession of weapons is restricted quite heavily.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    where i used to live, we'd here gunshots on a weekly basis. we'd also have cops on our street, and police helicoptors flying overhead.

we've since moved. now things are much nicer. i don't think i've heard a single gun (not pellet gun) shot in the 8 months we've been here.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Switzerland is a peaceful place.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Only during hunting season.

>cue banjo music<

Jeff
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Never. I'm not in the greatest area, but not a bad one by any means either. I never heard them in my old neighborhood either, again, except when my next door neighbor would scare off owls and birds from his roof with an air gun. He threw rocks at stray cats too though.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

where i used to live, we'd here gunshots on a weekly basis. we'd also have cops on our street, and police helicoptors flying overhead.

we've since moved. now things are much nicer. i don't think i've heard a single gun (not pellet gun) shot in the 8 months we've been here.

You bastard and your bastard signature. For a second I thought you were talking about my street.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i saved my ex's life. he was about to get shot under my home. like less than 2 minutes from the closest police station, and a church too. ****ing topinos.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Only during hunting season.

>cue banjo music<

Jeff

• Reply 20 of 64
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Hi Alcimedes -

The minority gangs are a problem in my city. You can drive down the street and the cinder-block walls (i.e. the backyard fences along the back of peoples' property) have bullet holes in them from gangs driving by and shooting through the walls. (These are 99% homes in not-so-great neighborhoods.)

One classroom I had a few years ago faced a busy street. Over one summmer, a gang car drove by and put bullet holes in the windows of three classrooms that faced the street - including mine. The last time I checked, the bullet holes were still there. By the end of that summer, the school district had erected a cinderblock wall there for our protection, and to keep the occasional homeless person from wandering down the school breezeway (covered sidewalk) to use the restrooms and get a drink of water!!! EEEEEeeee.

Also a few years ago, when the first custodian arrived at school at 6 a.m. one morning, he found a (dead) body that had been dumped in the school parking lot - from a drug deal gone-bad. (Now we have gates that are locked at night.)

Then not long ago, our school had a lockdown, and helicopters flying overhead, because some guy had carjacked someone nearby, and was running from the police. He abandoned the car and ran down our school breezeway, crossed the street and ran through the cafeteria of a private Christian school half a block away.

We actually have supplies in our classroom in case our school goes into lockdown for an extended period (like for several hours, or overnight). Two gallons of drinking water; a large, plastic, lidded container for excretory convenience (hahaha ); and a supply of snacks.

I probably shouldn't even mention these things, because those of you who are reading this overseas might think the US is even worse than you thought it was!

The thing is, my school is on a major thoroughfare; and because of the sheer volume of traffic, there is increased chance of weird things happening.

I wish to point out that my school is in a VERY upper-middle class/upper-class area.......so it's not like we're in run-down areas of the city.