Features for iTunes 5.0?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
April of this year will be the one year anniversary of the iTunes Music Store. I'm guessing that Apple will have iTunes 5.0 announced by then or least on the anniversary. After using iTunes I'd like to see some features added.

Exposure to new music is what we need.

1. Create an iTunes Radio station with playback only from tunes that can be sold. Apple can make it so that one-click from the radio stream buys the track for you. Talk about impulse purchase.

2. Allow for user ratings. Not just downloads. That way we can see tracks that are highly rated but don't just popular.

3. Allow me to queue up my favorite tracks for purchase later.

Managing Audio

1. I should be able to highlight certain tracks and play only those tracks for when I'm in the mood for just a subset of my playlist.

2. Playlists should be able to be dragged in any order I want.

3. There should be Radio Playlists. And if possible the transfer of song title and artist info.

Extras

1. Label Printing. Nothing fancy just basic label printing so I don't have to run for a magic marker.

2. More Music! The benefits of digital files are the savings from not having to warehouse physical product. Hopefully when Europe and Canada come online that will cause a new influx of artists and deepen the catalog considerably.

Sorry meant to add a "?" in the title. Mods if you can add it please do so.

[Done. -Amorph]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    All I want are hierarchal playlists...
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Having the ability from within the iTMS to save songs for purchase at a later date is a great idea.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

All I want are hierarchal playlists...

Yeah that'd be good, I'd also like to see the option to tell iTunes to keep something organized by 'album' but then by year underneath that, instead of alphabetically. ya know?
  • Reply 4 of 64
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    How about adding MP4 music videos?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    That'd be pretty cool, I'd be down with that, especially considering that all the top hits on iTMS are also top hits on MTV, it's not like there'd be a shortage of videos or anything

additionally, many videos are edited, and cut on MTV, and it's surprising sometimes to see the whole thing, and how much was cut out.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Plus, we all know that "Apple is able to move oceans of bits quickly and reliably."--Steve Jobs
  • Reply 7 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

3. Allow me to queue up my favorite tracks for purchase later.

Can't you use the shopping cart for this?
  • Reply 8 of 64
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I like to have albums in a playlist so a album "folder" that I can keep album playlists in so that it doesn't clutter my side bar always is good.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Can't you use the shopping cart for this?

No it seems like I can only save the Music Store URL for access later.

Oh yeah. Saving playlists to txt form should be formatted MUCH better than the .txt mess that they come in. Hell let me save playlists as pdfs that look neat.

When synced to another playlist using Rendezvous I should have the option of clicking on a networked file and be given the option to authorize it for my computer(provided I know the password of course).

When iTunes is in Mini mode you should be able to drag and drop music files and have them play immediately.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I like to have albums in a playlist so a album "folder" that I can keep album playlists in so that it doesn't clutter my side bar always is good.

?English?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    umm, i believe that this is what yorue looking for in one of your features:

• Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:

Managing Audio

1. I should be able to highlight certain tracks and play only those tracks for when I'm in the mood for just a subset of my playlist.

have you ever noticed the check boxes next to all your songs??????
  • Reply 13 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

have you ever noticed the check boxes next to all your songs??????

'

LOl Yup...I had a RTFM situation.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    I know Music Match for PC had this. The ability to look up mp3 filenames, and album art for tracks didn't have them when you ripped em.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I rarely use the check boxes because they are inconvenient. If you want to check or uncheck more than a handful of them, it takes too long. There should be a contextual menu item (and in the menu bars of course) for "check selected" and "uncheck selected." Then I might use the feature.

Hierarchial playlists and choosing multiple sorting criteria of varying priorities are both excellent ideas. I especially think I'd use the first. Perhaps divide songs up by decade, then put genres in those, or vice versa.

Oh yeah, and you should be able to use the ITMS and other databases to search for album art right within the application. Certain applications like Clutter allow you to do this, but it's a hassle. On the other hand, Windows Media Player has had the ability to search for album art for at least a year, so it would be nice if this feature was added.

Another feature someone brought to my attention was "jukebox mode." If you're having a party and you want people to be able to select their songs, it would be nice if you could set it to jukebox mode, where the application goes full screen and people queue up songs they want to hear, which are played in order. You can accomplish this by using a playlist and having people drag songs to it, but that is less intuitive.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Exposure to new music is what we need.

Steve told the indies that Apple would be hyping their stuff from iTMS. Now that the indies are appearing in earnest, we'll see if that happens. Maybe they'll time it with the release of the iTMS outside the U.S.

Quote:

1. Create an iTunes Radio station with playback only from tunes that can be sold. Apple can make it so that one-click from the radio stream buys the track for you. Talk about impulse purchase.

If Apple can find a way to integrate that into the radio stations that iTunes hosts, that would be better. Maybe build the option into QuickTime Streaming Server?

Quote:

2. Allow for user ratings. Not just downloads. That way we can see tracks that are highly rated but don't just popular.

I'd prefer it if I had some idea of who rated it, as in "people who rated this album with four or more stars also liked..."

Quote:

2. Playlists should be able to be dragged in any order I want.

Already there. Set the sort column to the track index (the leftmost column). Drag away.

Quote:

2. More Music! The benefits of digital files are the savings from not having to warehouse physical product. Hopefully when Europe and Canada come online that will cause a new influx of artists and deepen the catalog considerably.

I'm also hoping for an influx of music from Europe and Japan and anywhere else the iTMS appears, but as it is Apple adds a lot more than they publish in their New Music Tuesday emails.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kizoku

I know Music Match for PC had this. The ability to look up mp3 filenames, and album art for tracks didn't have them when you ripped em.

what?!??! well, i guess you have to go to walmart.com to get good album art, but a little thing called "Get CD Track Names" (under 'advanced') solves the other problem. i tohught everyone knew about that
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

You can accomplish this by using a playlist and having people drag songs to it, but that is less intuitive.

i dont understand your full screen method--you would still have to have access to both the library and a playlist. i've always let people jsut drag their songs over, and its worked fine. it was awesome too that at one party people figured everything out without me even showing them how to do it (this was before itunes windows, and only a couple of my friends used macs). anyways, i think its pretty useable and easy the way it already is. it seems like people are looking for tons of features in itunes that itunes already has. you just have to experiment and make itunes work for you.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The full screen thing I thought would be a good idea just to prevent people from messing with your computer and stuff. You don't want someone accidentally quitting iTunes, or looking at pr0n, or something. So just fullscreen the app and have a slightly modified interface that serves the Jukebox view. Maybe split the library pane like in Browse mode, and have a play queue there.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The "buy music from radio stations" is a feature that I thought about a month ago and it wouldn´t be hard to do. Most stations send out tags so you can identify the music in the info window and at least the tags somafm send out are fairly "clean" . They could take that info and try to match it in the database, present a "X matches in the music store" and a button to click to come to the list. No need for a seperate station when everybody already have their favorite stationsaccording to their taste.