Features for iTunes 5.0?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

2. Playlists should be able to be dragged in any order I want.

Already there. Set the sort column to the track index (the leftmost column). Drag away.

I believe hmurch was saying that the actual list of playlists should be able to be arranged in any order, not just alphabetical. I agree.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I rarely use the check boxes because they are inconvenient. If you want to check or uncheck more than a handful of them, it takes too long. There should be a contextual menu item (and in the menu bars of course) for "check selected" and "uncheck selected." Then I might use the feature.

You Need to download Apple's iTunes Scripts. After installing you will find an "Enable|Disable Selected Tracks" command under the script menu in iTunes.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You Need to download Apple's iTunes Scripts. After installing you will find an "Enable|Disable Selected Tracks" command under the script menu in iTunes.

Thanks, I'll do that as soon as I get back from work (yippee, night shift! )
  • Reply 24 of 64
    I want some little arrow buttons like in the iTMS: So then i searched a single track in iTunes i can immediately jump to the album or artist in the browser view.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    C D T E X T
  • Reply 26 of 64
    How about the ability to recognize non-iPod mp3 players, for us that don't have enough money to get an iPod and want to put purchased music on something else
  • Reply 27 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

How about the ability to recognize non-iPod mp3 players, for us that don't have enough money to get an iPod and want to put purchased music on something else

If they want to keep the iPod exclusivity for the time being I'm ok with it but for the love of Mary please allow companies like

www.rokulabs.com Sounbridge Network Player

www.phatnoise.com Phatbox Car Jukebox

and whoever else has units like these to support Protected formats. They don't compete with the iPod for portability and should be granted access dammit!
  • Reply 28 of 64
    I second the call for hierarchical playlists!!

Honestly, I don't see how much more iTunes needs to improve. Most of the suggestions in this thread I know I wouldn't use. They could build functionality that I get with Synergy, but I don't care, since I have Synergy

I wouldn't mind some tweaks to ID3 tags (separate fields for first, last names... totally not a big deal as it stands though, since I just label artists "Last, First"... would look prettier "First Last" though keeping last name sorting; oh and way more importantly, fields for Remix/Remixer... and maybe a pref that asks how you like remix info displayed, e.g. Title (Remix), or Title - Remix, or Title [Remix]). As it stands, I guess you can add this info in comments or something, but that just isn't as clean as I would like.

All minor stuff. I think it is pretty great as is.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    maybe some cool community features. Kind of like what napster has so you can see what other people have. and um lyrics would be nice.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Gapless playback, along with new gaplessly encoded versions of songs on iTMS that suffer from inter-track gaps.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    - Hierarchical play lists is a good idea.

- The 'save for later purchase" or "wish list" idea is also good.

- Lyrics and lyric search on iTMS.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

umm, i believe that this is what yorue looking for in one of your features:

dude this is another example of mac superiority, the windows pannels look like crap next to them

for it5 i want the windows option pannels to look like this

this could be done easily in VB
  • Reply 33 of 64
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Not really an iTunes thing, but...

I notice that you can now switch the shuffle setting on and off per playlist, which is great because now I can have a smart playlist of all the five-star rated songs, and they play in a random order, yet if I pick an album from the library the songs play in the regular, "proper" order. All well and good.

However, the iPod doesn't seem to have the same feature, instead it just copies the play order from iTunes at the time it synched. You have to manually turn shuffle on and off, going up and down through the menus each time!!!!

So, a Gold Star to Apple for getting it right in iTunes, but a Black Mark to them for not doing the same on the iPod.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 34 of 64
    One feature I dearly want is an album cover art browser.

Now that our music database is growing by the minute, I'm starting to miss choosing an album to listen to by the cover. It would be very nice to switch from text listing to graphical listing. Throw in some cool shuffling aqua animation, automatic cover art downloading, hierarhical playlists, and a few other goodies mentionned above, and your itunes just becomes even more essential.

I know about Clutter, but I don't like my desktop messy....

Alex
  • Reply 35 of 64
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    another vote for CD text

integrated album art downloading and browsing

lyrics

and iTMS in europe
  • Reply 36 of 64
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zeligprod

One feature I dearly want is an album cover art browser.

Now that our music database is growing by the minute, I'm starting to miss choosing an album to listen to by the cover. It would be very nice to switch from text listing to graphical listing. Throw in some cool shuffling aqua animation, automatic cover art downloading, hierarhical playlists, and a few other goodies mentionned above, and your itunes just becomes even more essential.

Ooh, that's a really cool idea. Perhaps someone could come up with a slick third party app that will interface with iTunes like that... bringing back the old days
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Gapless playback, along with new gaplessly encoded versions of songs on iTMS that suffer from inter-track gaps.

i'm so tired of people saying they want this!!!!!!!!! in prefs, just adjust the crossfade so that it doesnt really fade the tracks, but takes out the gap. PEOPLE, JUST EXPERIMENT WITH iTUNES!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 64
    how about a little button that updates the ipod? right now, if i plug my ipod in, and then later add or change any tracks in itunes, i need to unmount the ipod, pick it out of the dock, and then put it back in the dock and wiat for itunes to update it.

unless of course, its there and i missed it....
  • Reply 39 of 64
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'm so tired of people saying they want this!!!!!!!!! in prefs, just adjust the crossfade so that it doesnt really fade the tracks, but takes out the gap. PEOPLE, JUST EXPERIMENT WITH iTUNES!!!!!

It can´t really be done this way. I would love it to but...
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

right now, if i plug my ipod in, and then later add or change any tracks in itunes, i need to unmount the ipod, pick it out of the dock, and then put it back in the dock and wiat for itunes to update it.

unless of course, its there and i missed it....

When your iPods mounted you can reupdate by either selecting Update Songs on "Your iPod" at the bottom of the file menu or right-click on your ipod playlist and select Update Songs.