Astrology

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Somehow, the "Worst Thing You've Ever Done" thread turned into a discussion of astrology. So, here we are. Do you put any stock in it? What's your sign? Do you think it's just a load of crap?

I think it's just a load of crap. I'm a "Cancer," born on July 8th, 1984. Of course, the sun was actually in Gemini when I was born. But that's because of precession, which is not accounted for by astrology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    You can put me strongly in the "it's all bullshit" camp on this one.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I shot a guy once just to see him die.

Oh, wait, wrong thread.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Oh, wait, wrong thread.

Not if he was an astrologer.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    While I don't follow astrology, or believe in it, I do like the word gemini, which is what my symbol is, although I guess it's not anymore...or something, I dunno, sounds good though, gemini.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Astrology is crap. None of it is true.

But for the record, I'm a Leo.

August 10, 1985.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Astrology is crap. None of it is true.

But for the record, I'm a Leo.

August 10, 1985.

Ditto, well except the birthday - August 17th, `84
  • Reply 7 of 83
    yeah, I don't believe in it at all, although sometimes they somewhat apply to me (Virgo, 9/20/85), but it's so vague, that it kinda has to apply
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Astrology is like vegetarianism for me. . .

Once I find out that she's into it, I run for the hills.

I also run for the hills when people start an AI groupie for fans of extremely awful music.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBFan920

who is this guy?

lives in aurora, which is a suburb of chicago...excellent

• Reply 10 of 83
    are we eluding to the wonderful Wayne's World?
  • Reply 11 of 83
    As a rational being, I dismiss astrology on the basis that it is a completely unfounded pseudo-science, or at least unable to produce quantifiable results in a laboratory setting. As a pragmatist, I dismiss astrology on the basis that, even if there were some truth to it, the application is so abstract as to be useless.

However, I'd venture a guess that most of the people that are casually interested in astrology don't buy into it in the real sense anyway. It's kind of entertaining in the same way online personality quizzes are entertaining, and the vast majority of online personality quizzes made (save perhaps the Myers-Briggs, which is not really an "online" quiz anyway) are pretty much just as unfounded. (For instance you'll get like a 5-question quiz with possible answers that speak nothing of your personality and you will be assigned the personality of a character from an anime.) And yet they are just as popular, if not moreso, than astrology.

I actually do know a little about astrology beyond conventional knowledge, and I have an account on www.astro.com, which gives you a free birthchart after you enter all your precise birth time/location information.

When I read my birthchart analysis, particularly the main aspects (sun, moon, rising), it's fascinating to me to think about how the qualities described do or do not apply to me, and the possiblity that there may be something to it. So, if nothing else, it's just a springboard for self-analysis, whether the science is legit or not.

Which, of course, until sufficient evidence suggests otherwise, it is not.

(P.S. - Sun Capricorn, Moon Libra, Gemini Rising)
  • Reply 12 of 83
    I'm not into astrology, but I do use the phases of the moon to determine when I make blood sacrifices of virgins to my dark lord and master Satan.

Satan be praised!

• Reply 13 of 83
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Astrology = hills

vegetarianism = no hills
  • Reply 14 of 83
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "I guess I wouldn't believe in anything if it wasn't for my lucky astrology mood-watch."

Steve Martin
  • Reply 15 of 83
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Somehow, the "Worst Thing You've Ever Done" thread turned into a discussion of astrology. So, here we are. Do you put any stock in it? What's your sign? Do you think it's just a load of crap?

I think it's just a load of crap. I'm a "Cancer," born on July 8th, 1984. Of course, the sun was actually in Gemini when I was born. But that's because of precession, which is not accounted for by astrology.

Hi Luca -

What I've read about Cancers is that they really enjoy having a good/pleasant/harmonious home environment...that it's very important to them. Discord on the home front 'really' bothers them a LOT. They like doing projects to improve their surroundings.

They have deep and sensitive feelings that might not be made apparent to others. When their feelings are hurt, they retreat quietly, and mull over the offense at some length. Sometimes it's hard for them to 'let go' of their sense of injury.

Even though not appearing to, Cancers can benevolently control and manipulate people close to them (for their own good).

They like to be around water if they can.

Does any of that fit you at all???? (It's just stuff off the top of my head.) I don't really know much about Cancers.

Carol
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Oh, wait, wrong thread.

You are a VERY bad boy!!!
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Not if he was an astrologer.

• Reply 18 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

What I've read about Cancers...

Apparently what most people in this thread so far believe is that most of what you've read about Cancers, Aquarians, Leos, houses, ascendants, etc., etc... is unmitigated BS.

Scrambling around only looking for confirming evidence, and ignoring or trying to rationalize away any conflicting evidence that rudely crosses your path along the way, is all I see so far.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

While I don't follow astrology, or believe in it, I do like the word gemini, which is what my symbol is, although I guess it's not anymore...or something, I dunno, sounds good though, gemini.

Gemini, of course, is the twins. The Gemini person can have a much more complex inner-self than might be apparent to others.

Gemini is often good at things requiring speed - quick-thinking, quick-moving sports, good hand-eye coordination and fast motor skills.

Good at the written word.

Any of that fit, Wrong Robert?

PS I have a Gemini moon sign. I'm glad I do.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Apparently what most people in this thread so far believe is that most of what you've read about Cancers, Aquarians, Leos, houses, ascendants, etc., etc... is unmitigated BS.

Scrambling around only looking for confirming evidence, and ignoring or trying to rationalize away any conflicting evidence that rudely crosses your path along the way, is all I see so far.

WHOA! Shetline, my god, why don't you lighten up a little?!!! Astrology is something that is just for FUN!!!!! You know - like roller coasters, trick or treating, playing spin the bottle. F-U-N. Fun is 'fun' - you should try it sometime!

I just made my first post here a few minutes ago; yet you claim I've been scrambling around, rationalizing away conflicts, mentioning houses and ascendants????? What in the world are you talking about?

I haven't even had a chance to say what I really think about astrology, or why I think it.

First of all, I put NO stock in astrology, whatsoever. I DO, however, think it's VERY interesting. I am amazed how accurately signs seem to fit the people I know.

I had no interest in astrology until my mom sent away for a twenty-page computer-generated chart-reading - one for me and one for my brother. I was amazed at how accurate our respective charts were, and how completely different they were from each other. (He is a Scorpio; I am a Leo.)

So then I sent away for the more-detailed, 40-page reading. I was even more amazed. It mentioned stuff that I barely knew about myself. It mentioned stuff that hadn't happened yet, but DID happen years later. (Weird, significant stuff, that doesn't happen to most people, yet DID happen to me!)

So, the net effect was that I wasn't a complete skeptic anymore. Instead, I started finding astrology INTERESTING. Nothing more. I don't live my life by it; I don't pay attention to it; I don't think about it very often. I would never read my horoscope in the daily paper and then actually do what it said, or even remember it for more than three minutes, max.

But I have known a LOT of people, lots of students especially. And I continue to be amazed at how accurate the signs seem to be. Again, I think astrology is interesting, nothing more.

So, I really do wish you wouldn't condemn and ridicule me before I have even had a chance to state my case. Now I have stated it.

And why attack me in such a negative and hostile way? We're just having a conversation here. I'm not trying to take over the world, for heaven's sake.

The whole thing about 'precession' - all I can say is I don't worry about it. I'm a Leo. There's no way I could be a Cancer, which is what I would be wrt precession.

So, just like market analysts say that the market has 'already adjusted for effects of the war', for example, I'll say that despite the precession thing, it seems that astrology (somehow) has already been adjusted for that. Who knows? Who cares? It's all just for FUN !!!

My sun sign = Leo; moon = Gemini; rising = Leo. (August 11)

I know 95% of the guys here think astrology is all hogwash. But I used to be a complete skeptic too, remember. So I'm neither daunted nor deterred.

If you tell me your sign and a significant other's sign, present or past, i could dig out my 'relationship signs' book and tell you what it says. Of course, you could tell me to fvck off, and that would be okay too.

I'm in a fine mood today 8) , and no one's gonna ruin it.

Carol

PS I bet you're a Sagittarian. But then, I hardly ever guess right; so you probably aren't.