Computer Colors..Silver is HOT!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Patchouli:

<strong>Gateway was in dire need for a makeover and I am glad they went with silver. Also, just because other computers are getting redesigned and are silver, doesn't mean it's an Apple rip off! Are all silver laptops - PowerBook rip-offs? Please! If that's the case, then I guess all black laptops are rip-offs of the competition's designs as well?

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you seen the new Gateway Solo 600s? They bear more than a passing resemblance to the PowerBook G4. This was obvious to C|Net, not just Mac lovers. The monitors hinge at the same spot, the I/O panels are similar, the vents, the deep set keyboard with the wide edges on either side, the white trim around the base.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Have you seen the new Gateway Solo 600s? They bear more than a passing resemblance to the PowerBook G4. This was obvious to C|Net, not just Mac lovers. The monitors hinge at the same spot, the I/O panels are similar, the vents, the deep set keyboard with the wide edges on either side, the white trim around the base.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here is the Gateway 600:

I guess we all see different things. Other than the color (which is shinier here), I don't see the PowerBook rip off. Gateway have been placing their speakers on the palm area for years (see their older models) and the vent and port placement are in normal laptop spots as well. Compaq (who also makes a funky laptop IMHO) uses that 2-tone grey as well.

I don't think it's fair to say that all silver laptops with speakers placed in that position is an Apple rip off. Sony and Dell have been making silver laptops for years. I remember a few months ago someone accused Dell of ripping off the PowerBook design with a pictured Latitude Notebook. Turned out, the Latitude had been out for years and debuted before the Ti Powerbook did. I just think it's silly to constantly site such things.

While I agree that Apple's design passion has made PC manufacturers wake up in that area, I also believe that PC makers are capable of making decent looking computers on their own without being accused of ripping off Apple. Cheap fruity color panels on PCs on the other hand was a cheap attempt to cash in on the iMac craze. Thank god those days are over.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>