So did they get Osama?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Christ Almighty, it wasn't that long ago that the conservatives on this board were exhaulting that the capture of Saddam was the beginning of the end of Howard Dean. Which, many argue, was the beginning of his decent.

How soon their memories fail. For them to say that Bush's right timing of Osama's capture isn't really worth all that much is...well....laughable...considering their stance previously.

Absolutely hilarious watching them play their politics. And they do it with a straight face too....even funnier.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Christ Almighty, it wasn't that long ago that the conservatives on this board were exhaulting that the capture of Saddam was the beginning of the end of Howard Dean. Which, many argue, was the beginning of his decent.

How soon their memories fail. For them to say that Bush's right timing of Osama's capture isn't really worth all that much is...well....laughable...considering their stance previously.

Absolutely hilarious watching them play their politics. And they do it with a straight face too....even funnier.

Just like John Kerry talks about 3,000,000 lost jobs with a straight face? You mean like that?
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

What's amazing is how jimmac and chu_bakka (along with most of the Democratic Party) are YET AGAIN underestimating Bush. According to them, he's nearly finished and is in "big trouble" politcally. This shows an utter ignorance of political history. Reagan was about where Bush is now at this point, as was Clinton. Assuming that getting UBL is the only way he can win (or that it's his only "ace") is incredibly naive.

What's amazing is that you simply cannot allow Democrats and liberals to enjoy a few good weeks of politics. What's amazing is that you cannot understand the simplicity of enjoying a cracker after a prolonged period of political famin. What's amazing is that you do not apply the same rules of self restraint when the cards are dealt in your favor. What's amazing is that you can display such a crass POV when you're own string of recent posts shows that you are no better.

Amazing. Isn't it?
  • Reply 44 of 53
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    How bout Bush saying that he'll create 2.6 million jobs this year...

and then the next week back off that. "i'm not a number cruncher"

no shit. every investor in every company he's been the head of knows that too.

everytime they project how many jobs their tax cuts will create, they end up being faced with the reality that they didn't even get close. It's hard to argue your "job creation" programs worked when you have no proof.

There's millions of unemployed americans that KNOW Kerry is telling the truth.

But then again... most Republicans have to ignore the numbers... or scientists, or former secretaries of treasury, or WMD inspectors in order to listen to Bush with a straight face.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Just like John Kerry talks about 3,000,000 lost jobs with a straight face? You mean like that?

Kinda like statements from Bill Frist and Tom DeLay that said "it takes a politician with a cold heart not to give the president his due" when he paraded around his fake Turkey. Kinda like Ed Gillespie and the entire RNC who went on talk show after talk show when Saddam got captured with chesire grins permanently painted across their faces.

Kinda like all the wingers on this board who gloated when making such ridiculous statements like "we are now safer that Suddan Hussein is in custody."

Kinda like all you GOoPers when you shoved all the house and senate seat losses in '02 down Democrats throats. Kinda like "you" when you said Democrats are a failed party with failed policies.

You guys are in complete power and control. So, before you start "whining" about energized Democrats you might want to learn how to take it like we did between '92 and 2000.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There is a good chance Osama will be captured before the election.

He will be caught when they have a chance to do it, not when it fits a political plan.

The news will be presented within 24 hour of capture.

Only if he is killed and his body isn´t presented (because his body was burned, blown up or something like that) and the news breaksjust before the election or in the beginning of the presidential campaign will I have any doubt that the administration is honest with us

Thats the deal.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

What's amazing is that you simply cannot allow Democrats and liberals to enjoy a few good weeks of politics. What's amazing is that you cannot understand the simplicity of enjoying a cracker after a prolonged period of political famin. What's amazing is that you do not apply the same rules of self restraint when the cards are dealt in your favor. What's amazing is that you can display such a crass POV when you're own string of recent posts shows that you are no better.

Amazing. Isn't it?

Enjoy all you want. Just don't get delerious.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

How bout Bush saying that he'll create 2.6 million jobs this year...

and then the next week back off that. "i'm not a number cruncher"

no shit. every investor in every company he's been the head of knows that too.

everytime they project how many jobs their tax cuts will create, they end up being faced with the reality that they didn't even get close. It's hard to argue your "job creation" programs worked when you have no proof.

There's millions of unemployed americans that KNOW Kerry is telling the truth.

But then again... most Republicans have to ignore the numbers... or scientists, or former secretaries of treasury, or WMD inspectors in order to listen to Bush with a straight face.

So, let me get this straight: Bush should have stuck to the number even though he didn't believe it? oh, OK. As for tax cuts, they don't "create jobs" directly. But, they do stimulate economic growth which in turn produces jobs.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Kinda like statements from Bill Frist and Tom DeLay that said "it takes a politician with a cold heart not to give the president his due" when he paraded around his fake Turkey. Kinda like Ed Gillespie and the entire RNC who went on talk show after talk show when Saddam got captured with chesire grins permanently painted across their faces.

Kinda like all the wingers on this board who gloated when making such ridiculous statements like "we are now safer that Suddan Hussein is in custody."

Kinda like all you GOoPers when you shoved all the house and senate seat losses in '02 down Democrats throats. Kinda like "you" when you said Democrats are a failed party with failed policies.

You guys are in complete power and control. So, before you start "whining" about energized Democrats you might want to learn how to take it like we did between '92 and 2000.

1. Should they not have been happy? Were you not? It was a great moment.

2. I don't know if we are "safer", but attacks have fallen since his capture.

3. Well, the party is in fact "failed" and so are it's policies. It has no clear agenda...other than criticizing Bush and his policies. "Working with the UN" and repealing tax cuts are not an agenda. There is still very little for them to run on. Their agenda is crafted on attacking Bush. Go look at Kerry's website and tell me otherwise. Every other line is "The Bush Admisistration". Where is the agenda?

4. The Democrats may be more energized, but I'm not sure why. Is there really that much excitement over Kerry? The man is going to be skewered on his liberal voting record, his flip-flopping on major issues (the death penalty for terrorists, gay marriage, the war) and by an incumbent who has many, many advantages. Kerry also has a personality and likeability problem. Why are you engergized?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    How annoying the condescension in the thread is.

How annoying the obnoxious attitude in the thread is.

How annoying the antagonistic tone in the thread is.

See how annoying that is?

Anyway, of course it would be favorable for the administration to find Osama before the election. When between now and then is not a good time for Bush and the Republicans to find the guy?

People will believe what they want to believe. If they capture Osama before the election, it will be a ploy in some people's minds. If they don't it's ineptitude in those same people's minds. Would they be right? Certainly reasonable to think, but it seems to me that people's minds have been made up regardless.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Not whining about energized Democrats. Just entertained by energized Democrats.

Today I saw Ralph Nader telling Tim Russert that he was going to run for President... again. Isn't that great? My check to Ralph will be in the mail soon! Nader's back and the United States and our allies are on the verge of capturing Bin Laden. Everything's going the Democratic Party's way, isn't it? Smack-dab according to The Master Plan.

Congratulations, fellas! Victory's just around the corner!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Nader isn't even running as a Green... so much for his "we need a third party". It really comes down to him saying this country needs ME! Glad he spent the past 3 years really working hard to build a viable 3rd party. Oh... right... he didn't.

I don't think most democrats are THAT worried about him... his whole "D+ and D-" argument has no weight.

I hope they catch Osama really soon... or if Bush wins... after the election... then I could be a touch less cynical.

I think Kerry has a good chance to beat Bush. I don't have any faith that it's a sure thing.

I also don't think the capture of Osama will wrap it up for Bush either.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Here's an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of...

a point made at http://www.pandagon.net/

it's always easier to run on a vision than a record. Vision's are unassailable; results can be shredded. Bush's wartime presidency ceases being a vision thing the day UBL is captured. Sure Bush will get a boost, but he won't be reelected based upon something that's over and done with. He'll have to immediately fill the yawning gaps in his campaign's rationale and I just don't think he can do it. He can try and scare us again, but it won't work; people don't want to be endlessly scared and they'll see it as political posturing. Kerry is (smartly) cutting the tax argument off at its knees and the economy simply will not have fully recovered its jobs by November. There'll be nothing left for Bush to run on. You can't be a wartime President without an enemy and you can't switch campaign rationales that totally mid-cycle. So stop worrying about UBL's apprehension and start rooting for his capture. Not only would it be a great day for all who love freedom and hate terrorism but it'll force this election to be about Bush's economic agenda. That's a fight I'm sure we can win.

if they catch Osama before the election... what would they have left to run on? The whole "a democrat can't be trusted to hunt terrorsist" argument would be moot because they've already cought him and so we don't need a big bad terrorist hunter anymore.

Assuming a big "thank you Bush" vote because they caught Osama might be assuming too much.

The capture of Saddam didn't make too many people feel safer...

I think one of the major blunders the Bush team has had is that they haven't had any big show trials of terrorist... which would show how they're doing alot to capture and punish terrorists.