Sad: Israeli Troops Raid Palestinian Banks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Say what you want about the "War on Terror"... this is absolute BS on the part of the Israeli government / military. Even if you have proof money is being funneled into specific banks via known terrorists (which I doubt), they have no right to literally raid the banks. That's just twisted. Now which Palestinian citizens will feel safe putting their money into their Banks, knowing Israel can raid them at any time, using terror as an excuse every time?

Total BS.

Quote:

From the NYT:

Israeli forces burst into Palestinian banks on Wednesday, corralled employees, covered security cameras and seized at least $6.7 million in an unprecedented raid. Israel said Iran, Syria and Lebanese guerrillas sent the funds to Palestinian militants.

Palestinian officials said the raid violated banking agreements and could trigger a run on the banks. ``It's like the mafia,'' Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia said of the operation. ``I think it should be dealt with in a very serious way.''

Israel said the raid was part of the global fight against terror funding.

``This money is the fuel for Palestinian terror, and I am convinced we have to dry up the paths for this fuel,'' Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said.

The Palestinian banking system has remained relatively stable, despite more than three years of Israeli-Palestinian violence that has decimated the Palestinian economy.

Israel said the system has been hijacked to finance Palestinian militant groups -- Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades -- that have killed more than 900 Israelis in bombings and shootings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What's sad is that you think terrorism should be funded via "human rights" groups and that the jews should shut and and take it.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Seizing money from a bank is simply rediculous. I am sorry scott, while I think that Israel is in a precarious location (self-inflicted of course), you have to agree that this type of action is uncalled for.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Well, I suppose if there was a way for legitimate banking customers to file an appeal to recover their funds, that would be alright... Naturally, some sort of background check would be involved, but hey, if it cuts the terrorists off, I'd say something was accomplished. I wish there was a better way, but sometimes your only option is to do whatcha gotta do.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Non sequitur indeed. Please make pertinent and thoughtful posts on the topic, and not make statements towards other members that could be construed as taunts or attacks.

back on topic...

How does the US handle this sort of stuff either in the country or overseas when it finds some fund or stash of money they think is going to terrorists? Who has mandate over Palestinian banks? It's an obvious answer in all likelihood but if Israel can build a case, could they get another power to step in? What steps can they take about the flow of money to these banks or to these groups? I'm assuming of course that this really was money for terrorists they seized, but I'm willing to make that assumption for the sake of argument.

Having Palestine in limbo in terms of its political status, sovereignty, and governance just makes this sort of situation much more difficult. to me it seems like another reason to figure out what to do with the territories once and for all. Right now, like so many other things over there, it's hard to place accountability in these matters.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I know this much: the US didn't send in SWAT teams to raid any Swiss or international banks where they found evidence of terrorist funds. And had we found funds in less friendly banks (say in Iran or Libya or Syria), we wouldn't have made an effort to plunder their civil financial institutions, either. You freeze funds through international channels. You don't rob the f*cking bank!!!

This is just pathetic. Period. The Israelis basically do anything they want, no matter how out of whack with international law it is, and then justify it by saying "ohh look, America protects itself during its war on terror... we can do this too (we just do it a little differently)! But in principle, it's the same thing. Really!"

Sick IMO, just sick. About as far from proving that Israelis can take the high road on these matter as you can get. To the contrary, it makes them look [almost] as barbaric as the suicide bombers they hope to stop.

If using your military to plunder the banks where common citizens keep their money is not considered terrorism, I don't know what is. So where is the proof that there were precisely the amount of terrorist funds, in the specific banks they raided? Where is the proof that they didn't dip their hands into the coffers and take a few million extra? Where is the proof that they didn't rob the wrong banks? Oh I know... can't show any proof, that would reveal "our sources." Sort of like the Bush Adminstration in that regard, I must admit.

That Scott defends this action, speaks to his ability to reason on any matters related to Israel; I'll just leave it at that....
  • Reply 6 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The problem is, I'm not so sure Israeli jurisdiction or lack thereof is so clear in the occupied territories. The US government can raid a domestic bank, and they do, but where do Palestinians banks fall with regard to Israel's actions? Did they actually take cash, or was it like most US actions similar to this, where they just get into the computers and seize the accounts and their value? Again, it's probably a stupid question, but I'm not clear on it.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    All the Oslo interim agreements are null and void. That area is for intent and purpose is considered part of Israel. If you want to call Israel an occupying force and those areas occupied areas fine, but then you can't argue that somehow these areas are part Switzerland or something and are outside its jurisdiction. They are not.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Yah. According to Israel, "all of Palestine" is "part" of Israel...

...considering the goal has been to create a Palestinian state, the act of marching into their territory (what would become the state) and holding up a bank and walking out with huge sums of cash... is not cool.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

You freeze funds through international channels. You don't rob the f*cking bank!!!

Blowing up buildings and homes because snipers might use them, robbing banks, building a fence in another man's land, preventing people from going to work, etc. will not put 'fear' into others. It will provoke them more.

You cannot continue to treat people like shit using the word terrorism as an excuse. If Palestine had arms and ammunition supplied to them, they would fight a war for their homeland. Of course, the nations who supply Israel with money, arms and ammunition don't want that. This forces them to use guerilla tactics which we label as terrorism. Is our memory so short lived that we have forgotten how the whole mess started after world war 2?

Terrorism can only be addressed by solving the basic underlying problem. None of the powerful players have the will power to do that. They keep addressing the symptoms for their benefit.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Well said.

One of the reasons this irritates me so much is that it has become a consistent pattern of behavior where the Israeli government does things that are basically inexcuseable, and when questioned they just shrug it off like anyone would be crazy to question them in the first place.

What's ironic to me, is that tactics like demolishing homes and "walling people in" and raiding banks are exactly the kinds of things the Nazis did to the Jews in Poland (to name one example).

Obviously the Nazis weren't being suicide-bombed on a regular basis, but the reactions themselves to "dealing with people on the other side" are scarily similar. Clearly some history has been forgotten by the people least likely to forget...

...while they certainly have the responsibility to protect their citizens and react to bus bombings, the tactics they have chosen are not the tactics of a civilized nation.

There is no getting around it. Hopefully this will change soon or I fear the worst for Israel and Palestine both.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What's sad is that you think terrorism should be funded via "human rights" groups and that the jews should shut and and take it.

What's sad is that you don't appear to regard the Palestinians as human beings or expect the Israelis to behave like human beings.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Bankrobber

my daddy was a bankrobber

but he never hurt nobody

he just loved to live that way

and he loved to steal your money

some is rich, and some is poor

that's the way the world is

but i don't believe in lying back

sayln' how bad your luck is

so we came to jazz it up

we never loved a shovel

break your back to earn your pay

an' don't forget to grovel

the old man spoke up in a bar

said i never been in prison

a lifetime serving one machine

is ten times worse than prison

imagine if all the boys in jail

could get out now together

whadda you think they'd want to say to us?

while we was being clever

someday you'll meet your rocking chair

cos that's where we're spinning

there's no point to wanna comb your hair

when it's grey and thinning

run rabbit run

strike out boys, for the hills

i can find that hole in the wall

and i know that they never will
  • Reply 13 of 44
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    The palestinian government is run by corrupt individuals that are holding their own people hostage as well as the Israelis, because they will not embrace peace and civility. terrorists and murderers breed at breakneck speed there, like roaches. The government sanctions and supports them, while saying Israel is the aggressor, blaming it for every malady and injustice. The leaders know that the arab world hates jews and they know that US involvement would cause an upheaval in the arab world that the US does not need now. They will continue to breed the same hate until they feel they do not have the upper hand.

As far as Israel goes, what do you want them to do? The whole palestinian "government" is totally corrupt and I am sure the bank system there is no different. The palestinian people are not suffering because of Israel but because of their own leadership. Blame the people that are leading propagating that cesspool over their for their own gain. Israel has to do something to curb the endless supply of brainwashed murderers.

Like I said what would you do that has not been tried yet?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Like I said what would you do that has not been tried yet?

Admit that provocation doesn't help the situation?

I don't know. Gas them. You tell me.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

The palestinian government is run by corrupt individuals that are holding their own people hostage as well as the Israelis, because they will not embrace peace and civility.

Do you honestly believe that Israel is entirely without fault in the history of events that have led to the current situation?

Quote:

breed ... roaches ... cesspool ... brainwashed murderers.

I would like to add that your choice of language when discussing the people of Palestine is deeply troubling.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I would like to add that your choice of language when discussing the people of Palestine is deeply troubling.

Those people voted for independence 50 plus years ago. He's actually referring to them Jordyptian stranglers that no one wants.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What a joke you people are. Like Israel would ever get any support from the "international community" to stop the money laundering that supports bombings against women and children.

Too bad for you Israel wont roll over and die.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

What a joke you people are.

This coming from you is just hilarious.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Too bad for you Israel wont roll over and die.

I don't see anyone here expressing a desire that this happen.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Sick IMO, just sick. About as far from proving that Israelis can take the high road on these matter as you can get. To the contrary, it makes them look [almost] as barbaric as the suicide bombers they hope to stop.

Even if one were to view this as a bank robbery, it as a tactic, doesn't even come close to being in the same ballpark as the suicide bombers. As far s I know, this action didn't result in any children having their legs blown off, and students being butchered or mothers dying beside their children.

Whether one agrees with what Israel did in this instance, it isn't nearly comparable to the action of the other side.

How else is Israel supposed to prevent these terror funds? Maybe they could have just called up their friends in the EU and asked them to freeze some assets...they might be a little preoccupied burying reports about the rise of anto-semitism in their regions to get on it right away.

I don't get this. Israel commits an act, legal or not, that result in no deaths or injuries, in order to try and stem terrorism and it gets condemned. I mean after all, they actually took money. Whereas the palestinians blow up some jews and hey, no comment, let alone condemnation. It's only a few heads blown off.