Mac OS X 10.3.3 (Including 7F32)

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 100
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mcsjgs

    Although most installers report that they are "optimizing" after installing (actually prebinding) and prebinding is supposed to be done once and forget it ... [optimization] happens with every program launched at startup as well as more than a few launched during the normal day.



    Actually, this is how it's *supposed* to be done. You should notice that fewer and fewer installers today force the whole prebinding procedure. This is because Each time you launch an application, it checks if the prebinding is up to date. If it is not, it updates prebinding.



    However, I think there must be something wrong with your computer for it to be running through the update with almost every single app launch...
  • Reply 82 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Brad

    Actually, this is how it's *supposed* to be done. You should notice that fewer and fewer installers today force the whole prebinding procedure. This is because Each time you launch an application, it checks if the prebinding is up to date. If it is not, it updates prebinding.



    However, I think there must be something wrong with your computer for it to be running through the update with almost every single app launch...




    I agree that what is happening on my computer should not be happening. But I don't run haxies or system hacks, the installation of 10.3.2 is very stock, so I cannot imagine what could be causing the problem. I have tried both Cocktail and Maintain to get the prebinding up to date on applications. In Maintain, you can actually see the failures in the Terminal. Reinstalling the applications does not solve the problem either. Any suggestions welcome.



    Edited:



    The problem is limited to all items in the startup file and perhaps 5-6 other applications. All other applications start up fine without redoing the prebinding. Since it is a limited problem, I suspect there may be some sort of problem with the way the startup programs are launched and with the specific other applications. What completely eludes me is why? Makes no sense to me why the problem should be occurring.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Brad,



    Just to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, I went through every top folder on the startup HD and forced a prebind. The system log reported no errors. Then I restarted. Same thing. All programs in startup file went through prebinding, and the same problem applications could not be launched without prebinding. Seems to me something is screwy with the way the system is implementing prebinding, especially in the startup file.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mcsjgs

    Brad,



    Just to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, I went through every top folder on the startup HD and forced a prebind. The system log reported no errors. Then I restarted. Same thing. All programs in startup file went through prebinding, and the same problem applications could not be launched without prebinding. Seems to me something is screwy with the way the system is implementing prebinding, especially in the startup file.




    Maybe you should try the following:



    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31227084312338



    Do read all the comments, particularly the ones about removing the hard link and substituting a symlink. You should probably use the symlink version command, unless of course, Apple names it something else in the future.



    Caveat emptor.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MasonMcD

    Maybe you should try the following:



    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31227084312338



    Do read all the comments, particularly the ones about removing the hard link and substituting a symlink. You should probably use the symlink version command, unless of course, Apple names it something else in the future.



    Caveat emptor.




    Thanks, but I implemented this fix the first day it was posted to the Apple discussion boards. The problem is not a slow boot, it is unnecessary (IMHO) prebinding routines over and over again, always on my startup items. It does slow the full desktop appearing, but not the boot.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Perhaps Apple will give us a gift today. I'm hopeful it fixes the serious issues so I can convince my boss to switch his lab setup to Panther....
  • Reply 87 of 100
    What time would this gift be out today? Its 4:53 EST.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I have no idea if it is, and probably not at all. I was just hoping it would be since it seems the testing period is pretty much over and done with.
  • Reply 89 of 100
    Yeah its not out well maybe next week
  • Reply 90 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Joe Gilhooly

    Yeah its not out well maybe next week



    Watch 7F42 come out next week...then it'll be another week of testing.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    I would hate my life it that happened. I need updated drivers for my GeForce 4 ti.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    You people baffle me.



    Apple doesn't hold back minor updates like this without reason. For all you know, testers may have found a rare but catastrophic bug at the last minute that needs to be fixed ASAP before release. Remember all the troubles some people reported with 10.2.8? What about those of you that say 10.3.2 is bad? Wouldn't it be best for Apple to over-test these builds rather than rush through them?

    Quote:

    Originally posted by Joe Gilhooly

    I would hate my life it that happened. I need updated drivers for my GeForce 4 ti.



    Would you rather Apple release a half-baked update that instead renders your GeForce 4 Ti completely unusable?
  • Reply 93 of 100
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I'd rather have it late and thoroughly tested. The alternative would be another 10.2.8, which wasn't pretty for some.



    D'oh! Brad beat me to the point.



    Screed
  • Reply 94 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Brad

    You people baffle me.



    Apple doesn't hold back minor updates like this without reason. For all you know, testers may have found a rare but catastrophic bug at the last minute that needs to be fixed ASAP before release. Remember all the troubles some people reported with 10.2.8? What about those of you that say 10.3.2 is bad? Wouldn't it be best for Apple to over-test these builds rather than rush through them?

    Would you rather Apple release a half-baked update that instead renders your GeForce 4 Ti completely unusable?




    How do you know it's being thoroughly tested? I bet my left testicle that 10.3.3 will have a widespread bug that wasn't caught by the testers even after the weeks and weeks of testing.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And I'll bet both of your testicles that without the testing, there'd be two. Or three. Or seventeen.



    Chill, people, you all are acting like frat boys at a strip club. "Gimme! I paid my damned dollar, now I want sex! Gimme gimme gimme!"
  • Reply 96 of 100
    That would be bad news for it not to work. I'm just seeing if theres any imporvment with it or I'm going back to ATI.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    And I'll bet both of your testicles that without the testing, there'd be two. Or three. Or seventeen.



    Chill, people, you all are acting like frat boys at a strip club. "Gimme! I paid my damned dollar, now I want sex! Gimme gimme gimme!"








    Nice one!
  • Reply 98 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...13153926.shtml







    Oh well...this update will probably worth the wait. All of a sudden there have been some really good fixes in this build.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...13153926.shtml







    Oh well...this update will probably worth the wait. All of a sudden there have been some really good fixes in this build.




    Ya, I agree 100%. Who cares how long it will take for this update to be released. Its bringing some fixes that I have been waiting for and plus, it will hopefully be a lot more stable than 10.3.2. Give apple a break, great things take time.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Mmmm. Fixes.



    Guess this wait is turning out to be worthwhile if that report is accurate (never can tell anymore).
Sign In or Register to comment.