Graphics video cards - no choice, tough luck

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

What, actually, is the practical and technical difference between the two kinds of cards? I don't work with 3D but I'm interested in the technology. Most of the numbers given for the average joe models seem to match the pro cards'.

Do people generally care about the driver certification? If so, then why - isn't OpenGL standard enough? Is there something about the certification that falls outside the OpenGL standards?

Certification simply means that the driver has been "thoroughly" tested against a specific app., so that when a customer downloads that driver they can be gaurunteed the driver won't have any problems while using that app.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

"OS required is clearly windows? If it was clearly windows, and not Pc, Mac, and Unix (as listed) Why do some of the other cards not list Mac, and Unix only to say PC AGP? Here is the Summary specs for the GF FX 5900 Ultra that was also listed as Mac Compatible. , and here are the TechSpecs. It does clearly say it's Mac compatible in two places.

I'm not sure what in this link "Clearly" made you think they would just list Mac compatibility on two cards, and not the rest.

ok, try looking at the f-ing page again...

"System Requirements: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP "

Not to mention that the site you're looking at is "Ciao! Independant Shopping Guide". Sounds like a sketchy european "pricegrabber" or BizRate".

And if you'd look at Gainward's site, you'd find...

System Requtiment

----------------------------------------------------------

Minimum System Requirement

- Intel Pentium series or Compatible CPUs

- 64MB System Memory or above

- CD-ROM

- Minimum 350W system power supply required

- Requires an AGP compliant motherboard

- Requires an available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)

- Windows XP/2000/ME/98

You're dreaming if you think some screw-up on Ciao random crap site is a sign that Gainward is now making top-of-the-line graphics cards for the Mac (but somehow not marketing them, or selling them). WTF?
  • Reply 63 of 115
    Quote:

I emailed them Saturday morning. I'm sure they'll get back to me on monday once the work week starts back up again. Once I get a return mailing I'll post all relevant information.

please, just go buy ten of them. but don't lose your receipt!
  • Reply 64 of 115
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

ok, try looking at the f-ing page again...

"System Requirements: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP "

Not to mention that the site you're looking at is "Ciao! Independant Shopping Guide". Sounds like a sketchy european "pricegrabber" or BizRate".

System Requtiment

- CD-ROM

- Requires an available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)

- Windows XP/2000/ME/98

You're dreaming if you think some screw-up on Ciao random crap site is a sign that Gainward is now making top-of-the-line graphics cards for the Mac (but somehow not marketing them, or selling them). WTF?

#1) Gainward is the company that makes the Nvidia cards that come in Macintoshes. (so I've been told)

#2) So it's not that far fetched to believe that it's possible that Gainward is now making top-of-the-line graphics cards for the Mac.

#3) Why don't "you" try looking at the site again. Two cards say they are compatible, There are two different pages for the second card I mentioned that say it's compatible. The following is a paste of one of them.

Device Type =Graphics card

Enclosure Type= Plug-in card

Interface Type =AGP 8x

Localisation =English, German, French, Italian

Compatibility= PC, Mac, Unix

Processor / Memory = Graphics Processor / Vendor NVidia GeForce FX 5900

Graphics Processor Data Width =256-bit

RAMDAC Clock Speed =400 MHz

Video Memory= Installed ( Max ) 128 MB ( 128 MB ) - DDR SDRAM - integrated

Memory Clock Speed=900 MHz

Video Input

Type Video capture adapter

Analogue Video Format= NTSC, PAL

Analogue video Signal =RGB, S-Video

Video Output = API Supported OpenGL, DirectX

Multiple Monitors Support =Yes

Max Monitors Supported= 2

Analogue Video Format =NTSC, PAL - RGB

Digital Video Standard= Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Expansion / Connectivity Interfaces = 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

1 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI

1 x S-video output - 4 PIN mini-DIN

Compatible Slots = =1 x AGP

Miscellaneous=

Cables Included =1 x S-Video adapter

Software / System Requirements

OS Required =

Microsoft Windows 95/98, Apple MacOS, Linux, Microsoft Windows 2000 / NT4.0, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition / Windows ME

Software Included = Drivers & Utilities

Min RAM Size = 64 MB

Peripheral / Interface Devices = CD-ROM

Manufacturer's product description
  • Reply 65 of 115
    Back to the thread title.

March is an eventful month for Nvidia, ATI, Future Technology, and Gaming.

CeBIT is 18th - 24th of March

The Game Developers Conference is the 22nd - 26th of March.

Do you think Apple would show up at any of these with, IBM, and nVidia? I doubt it, but it's a good dream. This could be the triple threat. a 3GHz G5, and an nVidia NV40 based graphics card both the graphics GPU, and the Processors are Made by IBM?

Here are the assumed specs:

Summary of what we know (or think to know) about NV40 at the moment:

nVidia NV40

175 millions transistors, manufactured in 130nm by IBM

8x2 architecture, but 16 Z/Stencil-test per cycle

DirectX 9.0 architecture, supports shaders 3.0

Doubled in number compared to NV38 and more efficient pixel shaders

256 bit memory interface, supports DDR1, GDDR2, GDDR3

Internal interface is AGPx8

Exact clock-speeds: unknown; estimated 500-600 MHz core and 600-800 MHz memory

Improvements for anti-aliasing: (at least) one new mode, its sub-pixel-mask is still unknown though

Improvements for anisotropic filtering: unknown

Presentation: CeBIT or GDC, end of March

Market entry: end of April or beginning of May 2004

Official name: GeForce FX 6XXX

While first purchasable NV40 graphics cards can be expected around the end of April or the beginning of May.

Here is a link to the story I got this from. LINK

BTW. I'm going to use this post in 3 threads, because it's relevant in all of them.
  • Reply 66 of 115
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

DirectX 9.0 architecture, supports shaders 3.0

Great for DirectX, but does it say anything about supporting OpenGL?
  • Reply 67 of 115
    Quote:

#1) Gainward is the company that makes the Nvidia cards that come in Macintoshes. (so I've been told)

but you don't know, and don't seem to have done any research.

Quote:

#2) So it's not that far fetched to believe that it's possible that Gainward is now making top-of-the-line graphics cards for the Mac.

Again, the site you're looking at is "Ciao! Independant Shopping Guide". Sounds like a sketchy european "pricegrabber" or BizRate".

System Requirement

- CD-ROM

- Windows XP/2000/ME/98

Quote:

#3) Why don't "you" try looking at the site again. Two cards say they are compatible, There are two different pages for the second card I mentioned that say it's compatible. The following is a paste of one of them.

You asked me Quote:

I'm not sure what in this link "Clearly" ...

Well, the specs from that page DON'T even list Mac compatability. And specifically say windows required, id10t.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Quote:

Well, the specs from that page DON'T even list Mac compatability. And specifically say windows required, id10t.

NIce job changing the link in a quoted post.

- And Yes It Does say: -

Quote:

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/1800XP Golden Sample

Graphics card - for Unix, Mac, PC - AGP 8x - Quantity 1 - 256 MB

at the link I provided from the words you quoted, but You changed the link I provided.

And on top of that called me an idiot.

Well at least I know who, and what I'm dealing with now.

That is seriously underhanded.

If you quote someone that is the same as "your word". Your giving everyone that's reading "your word" that you will represent, repeat, or copy the words, or references, and representations of another exactly, or precisely, as were referred to by the original source. So not only have you proven your self a sneaky underhanded individual without an honorable word of your own. You have also tried to taint my meanings, and my word to try, and disgrace me. In which you have no rights to. [note] -> That's not a dictionary quote in there, but it rings true.

So thanks for pointing your self out to me. I will thank you for that concentricity.

Quote:

You can learn a lot from a dummy

Here is the original link as it were:

Quote:

I'm not sure what inthis link "Clearly" made you think they would just list Mac compatibility on two cards, and not the rest.

• Reply 69 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Again, the site you're looking at is "Ciao! Independant Shopping Guide". Sounds like a sketchy european "pricegrabber" or BizRate".

System Requirement

- CD-ROM

- Windows XP/2000/ME/98

I would say that even in Gainword's site, the information is rather confusing.

Look here, a little before the system requirements:

Quote:

Robust and Complete Software Support

Gainward products support all major OS and software standards with robust, performance enhanced, accelerated software drivers including Microsoft Windows 2000/ ME/NT/XP, Linux, MAC OS 9/X, Open GL 1.4, and DirectX 9 to deliver the best performance while assuring the best possible compatibility with current and future applications and games.

This states clearly that at least some, if not all, of their products support even MacOS 9.

Now look other pages of the series CoolFX PowerPack:

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/960 TV/DVI/DVI 128MB

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/1800 XP 256M "Golden Sample"

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/1600 XP "Golden Sample"

No trace of MacOS support. And what is this "System Requtiment" found in all of their pages? No one looks a second time before it is out? Did they do the same with the MacOS support ?
  • Reply 70 of 115
    Quote:

NIce job changing the link in a quoted post.

- And Yes It Does say: -

at the link I provided from the words you quoted, but You changed the link I provided.

And on top of that called me an idiot.

Well at least I know who, and what I'm dealing with now.

That is seriously underhanded.

If you quote someone that is the same as "your word". Your giving everyone that's reading "your word" that you will represent, repeat, or copy the words, or references, and representations of another exactly, or precisely, as were referred to by the original source. So not only have you proven your self a sneaky underhanded individual without an honorable word of your own. You have also tried to taint my meanings, and my word to try, and disgrace me. In which you have no rights to. [note] -> That's not a dictionary quote in there, but it rings true.

So thanks for pointing your self out to me. I will thank you for that concentricity.

Here is the original link as it were:

i clicked on the link, and copied the URL to paste into my quote. I was replying to your subsequent post, so i couldn't just copy and paste (it only grabs text). if you click on your original "this link "Clearly"" you will notice that it changes URL upon opening the page. That's why my copied and pasted link turned out to be different than your original. NOT BECAUSE I WAS TRYING TO MISQUOTE YOU!

and you're still an idiot...what do you think Ciao! knows about future (unreleased) Mac-compatible Gainward products? Seriously...are you trying to say Ciao! has some insider info from Gainward, and they're posting it? Why? They're not actually selling anything. They're not going to be held accountable, since they aren't selling the product, nor do they manufacture it. They're just morons who don't know S about IT.

I'd really love for you to finally respond to this point. you've managed to pretty much skirt around it for many posts. Do you think Ciao! has insider info from Gainward, AND has posted it on their pricegrabber-like site, for the good of the people?!

also, you said you'd emailed Gainward to ask about Mac compatibility...but then never mentioned a response? Have you heard from them?
  • Reply 71 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I would say that even in Gainword's site, the information is rather confusing.

Look here, a little before the system requirements:

This states clearly that at least some, if not all, of their products support even MacOS 9.

Now look other pages of the series CoolFX PowerPack:

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/960 TV/DVI/DVI 128MB

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/1800 XP 256M "Golden Sample"

Gainward CoolFX PowerPack! Ultra/1600 XP "Golden Sample"

No trace of MacOS support. And what is this "System Requtiment" found in all of their pages? No one looks a second time before it is out? Did they do the same with the MacOS support ?

It's far less confusing if you look at the Gainward USA site. Gainward USA
  • Reply 72 of 115
    Quote:

By the way, thanks for the rant, but I'm getting my Masters in Ethics, so I know a thing or two about attribution, etc. As I said above, it was unintentional.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    The next generation of High-end cards will be PCI-X which hopefully means they will address the mac market with those new cards and is the reason why we are not seeing the current line they are phasing out.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_pcx.html
  • Reply 74 of 115
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Correction: It's not PCI-X, but PCIe aka PCI Express. There's a "slight" difference. 8)
  • Reply 75 of 115
    Quote:

i

also, you said you'd emailed Gainward to ask about Mac compatibility...but then never mentioned a response? Have you heard from them?

I'm still awaiting a reply from Gainward. If they don't reply it would be odd. I've never not been returned a reply to a question from any company before.

That in itself has me speculating reasons why. Most speculative is that they may be thinking back to ATI's pre Apple announcement that had them out for a while. The most reasonable is that they just don't get their mail everyday as they should because an employee is a slacker. I work with a ton of them. It's not unusual.

It's not all that unreasonable to speculate that Apple has newer video cards being shipped, or still being manufactured for upcoming PowerMacs, and they would not like to officially let the cat out of the bag.

Quote:

I'd really love for you to finally respond to this point. you've managed to pretty much skirt around it for many posts. Do you think Ciao! has insider info from Gainward, AND has posted it on their pricegrabber-like site, for the good of the people?!

My response to that was with another question which incidentally was "I'm not sure what in this link "Clearly" made you think they would just list Mac compatibility on two cards, and not the rest.", but I did forgot to add a question mark.

I'll dig deeper for your answer. I think it is possible, because there are two cards that say Mac compatible, and the rest don't list Mac compatibility. The rest is highly speculative, but I think it's possible that someone, or more likely the gainward rep knows, and innocently gave the information s/he new of when asked by someone from Ciao, or whoever it was who is carrying the cards that put the information up there.

Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Great for DirectX, but does it say anything about supporting OpenGL?

I was curious about that myself when I read it, but the nVidia GPU usually fully supported OpenGL, and it's still an industry standard for a lot of apps, and games. So I think s/he (the writer) just neglected to list it because he was excited by the DirectX 9.0 architecture, supports shaders 3.0 part of it.

I think the DirectX 9.0 architecture still a beta, but it's a new updated version of DirectX. I don't totally keep up on PC stuff too much so don't assume that completely true.
  • Reply 76 of 115
    ZapChud

Thanks for correcting me.

Why do they name things so close to each other?

http://news.com.com/2100-1010-992769.html?tag=fd_top

I found this article for quick clarification.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    If anybody is interested in Gainwards (Gainward Taiwan no less) email response I did get it. What I had asked Gainward at the time I emailed them was has this card been tested on a G4, or G5 Macintosh. Which was in refrence to the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra.

And they said:

"Gainward graphic cards only test with windows base OS"

That says enough to shut the door on that dream. I may have to configure that BOXX tonight. At least I can get my Quadro FX 3000 that way.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    so that basically means it won't work, i mean, couldn't somejust test it on a mac? pardon my ignorance.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird

so that basically means it won't work, i mean, couldn't somejust test it on a mac? pardon my ignorance.

I suppose someone could.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird

In order for any graphics card to work on a Mac (well, on any computer) it needs at least two things:

1) firmware (the low-level code that allows the card to use it's various features, and interact with the physical connection to the computer (AGP slot, etc))

2) OS-specific driver. this allows the OS to identify and interact with the device, and tells the OS what features are available, etc.

Obviously, I'm simplifying some amount, but both of these things are required. It may be possible for a GFX card maker to use a slightly larger, more robust 'unified' firmware to account for all variations of a card (such as DVI/ADC/VGA options, etc), but the drivers would still have to be platform-specific.

That's why putting a Gainward (PC) GFX card into a Mac simply won't work. And why, amoung other reasons, I have been saying from the beginning that [edit]plague bearer's[/edit] "uncovered info" from Ciao! was obviously worthless typos/mistakes. If Gainward was building these cards to be Mac compatible, they'd have to be aftermarket parts (since they don't have ADC). If they're aftermarket, Gainward would be on their own to announce them whenever, versus Apple making the announcement if they were OEM'd. Following this logic, Gainward would be crazy not to actively market the cards to the Mac market, if they had spent R&D budget developing the capacity.

Oh yeah, one other thing I can mention without breaking any NDA, if these were going to be introduced anytime soon, the drivers would've been added into the current developer builds of X. 'nuf said.