What do you believe in regarding death

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    lolololo Posts: 87member
    >> No ghosts. No Angels. No afterlife. No God. No problem.

Well said, Alex London. I couldn't agree more.

piwozniak, I agree with most of what you said but I don't believe that we have a soul that somehow survives the death of the body. It's like a computer, when you shut it down, the content of the RAM is gone, forever.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lolo

>> No ghosts. No Angels. No afterlife. No God. No problem.

Well said, Alex London. I couldn't agree more.

piwozniak, I agree with most of what you said but I don't believe that we have a soul that somehow survives the death of the body. It's like a computer, when you shut it down, the content of the RAM is gone, forever.

Yes, but the energy is still there, not memories and all that but basic energy.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

[B]my wife sometimes can't sleep because of this :-)

She can't accept the fact.

Here's what i believe.

We're all part of nature, after you die, your body decomposes, but it doesn't just disappear, atoms are transformed into other things, you never really die, just change form, it's all matter, re-shaped, re-built, different, you can be a tree, a stone a thousand other things, or rather your atoms will be used to "buid" other things, just like you're "build" right now.

Except that we're now embalmed and buried in hardwood, treated caskets, which are often then placed into "vaults".

• Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Except that we're now embalmed and buried in hardwood, treated caskets, which are often then placed into "vaults".

...or after that you end up as a Coke can :-)

Yet it's there and it will change it's form sooner ar later. Good old saying, nothing lasts forever.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

We're all part of nature, after you die, your body decomposes, but it doesn't just disappear, atoms are transformed into other things, you never really die, just change form, it's all matter, re-shaped, re-built, different, you can be a tree, a stone a thousand other things, or rather your atoms will be used to "buid" other things, just like you're "build" right now. Same goes for "life energy" or soul, or however you call it, i believe that it does exist and just because we can't touch it it doesn't mean it does not exist. It gets transformed as well. Same idea.

reminds me of a poem i wrote as a younger man:

my mother worries about me

it has been this way all my life

because i was a hyperactive and mischievous child

she worried that i would end up in jail

she would tell me that i was a pretty boy

and that i would have many friends in prison

and then she would describe what my

many new friends would do to me

as i grew older she worried that i may become gay

because i was being raised by my mother without a father

she wouldn't care if i were gay

she just didn't want it to be because of her

she asks if i've been writing

so i tell her of my latest stories

of the story where i go into the desert

and with long bone marrow needles

i inject a mild acid into my bones in just the right sequence

so i can crush my bones one by one

and pour the bone dust out thru small slits in my skin

and then connect an embalming set with carbon dioxide

to push all the blood from my body

so i would lie there in the desert

without marrow or blood for the animals to eat

and slowly--cell by cell--my body would erode

and become pieces of the desert around me

i would spread out thru the desert

be the desert

millions of years ago, before man, there was no desert

there was a race of people--but they felt alone

so the whole species came together

they crushed their bones and drained their blood

and became sand and formed the deserts

each cell now touching other cells

mixing and moving--joined

the only evidence we have of this race is the desert

it goes on....but that was the relevant part

g
  • Reply 66 of 75
    All of us are composed of elements made in the combustion of very, very ancient stars.

All of us are, quite literally, stardust, and the fact that we're even capable of understanding that might just be enough to give my life meaning in the light of the fact that when I die I won't be aware of what happens to things that held together long enough for there to have been a 'me'.

I'm going to die and I'm not going to heaven, or hell, or Valhalla, because there isn't one. I'm made up from elements that are billions of years old and I know it.

I know that that is so completely amazing and beautiful that it out-does any sacred text you can show me.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

All of us are composed of elements made in the combustion of very, very ancient stars.

All of us are, quite literally, stardust, and the fact that we're even capable of understanding that might just be enough to give my life meaning in the light of the fact that when I die I won't be aware of what happens to things that held together long enough for there to have been a 'me'.

I'm going to die and I'm not going to heaven, or hell, or Valhalla, because there isn't one. I'm made up from elements that are billions of years old and I know it.

I know that that is so completely amazing and beautiful that it out-does any sacred text you can show me.

e x a c t l y

edit: Look at most common things around, water, you can freeze it, vapourize it, melt it. It's all here, just changed.

But that leads to a question how did it all start?

If you believe in big KABOOOM, how did that happen? just out of nowhere?

That's a big bucket of sh** ladies and gents.

• Reply 68 of 75
    Or...

What if we're in heaven now? Or hell for that matter?

What if that's the reward given to the 'elements' for their being?

So that they can become living, and experience, pain, love, etc, as a whole instead of being a single grain of sand on that desert?

I know it doesn't make sense, but think about it... what do we know..?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What if we're character's in a very advanced version of The Sims being played by creatures so advanced we can not fathom it?
  • Reply 70 of 75
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

What if we're character's in a very advanced version of The Sims being played by creatures so advanced we can not fathom it?

You just wanted an excuse to use the word 'fathom'
  • Reply 71 of 75
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

and I want to say that soon I will post my thoughts on death . .

as if you cared\

Hey, I care. My intellect is a ravenous and hungry thing.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Lolo -ta very much,i surprised myself with my eloquence . Hassan- I feel the need to buy you a Badoit or a Budvar-either way i concur with your beautiful post.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

i tried to say that... alas, our dear sagan is dead.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

i tried to say that... alas, our dear sagan is dead.

My mum met Carl Sagan in the queue for the buffet at a Medical Campaign Against Weapons meeting in about 1982. How funny.

Alex, you're just up the road. Lets have a Badoit or two soon.

Or a Budvar,