class action law suit against RNC for running 9/11 ads??

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
  • Reply 42 of 80
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    even ashcroft couldn't stomach the ads...one look put him in the ICU

g
  • Reply 43 of 80
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Anyone who has seen the ad in question would know there is no controversy here whatsoever, save those trumped up controversies that many pretend to care deeply about when they in fact do not.

Secondly, let's not pretend that Bush not allowing photographs of soldier's coffins is somehow a new phenomenon. This has been government/military policy for ages.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    he is politicizing 9/11.

and Firefighter's and widows have a problem with it.

It's not a manufactured controversy.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Secondly, let's not pretend that Bush not allowing photographs of soldier's coffins is somehow a new phenomenon. This has been government/military policy for ages.

Really? Care to provide a source for that?
  • Reply 46 of 80
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

I lost 2 friends in World Trade Two. I see nothing wrong with a president referring to events, good or bad, that have happened during his or her administration.

Yeah . . . "2 friends" . . .two 'close' friends . .

You're as bad as the RNC.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

that is absolutely FALSE!!
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Perhaps I was unclear in my haste.

They do indeed show soldiers coffins draped in the flag. It's the dead bodies and coffins in/on/near the battlefield that aren't shown.

My apologies.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

he is politicizing 9/11.

oh but it IS a manufactured controversy--and one designed to spark discussion of Bush's leadership.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Perhaps I was unclear in my haste.

They do indeed show soldiers coffins draped in the flag. It's the dead bodies and coffins in/on/near the battlefield that aren't shown.

My apologies.

That's not what we're talking about. The administration has refused to allow photographs of coffins from Iraq coming off of military planes.

In addition, out of the 500+ soldiers dead on his watch, Bush has attended NOT A SINGLE FUNERAL.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

That's not what we're talking about. The administration has refused to allow photographs of coffins from Iraq coming off of military planes.

In addition, out of the 500+ soldiers dead on his watch, Bush has attended NOT A SINGLE FUNERAL.

I'm aware that's not what you're talking about NOW... when I initially posted I mistakenly thought this is what was being discussed, thus I clarified myself.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

As for this:

Bush is the commander in Chief. And an emotional one at that. He can't be seen crying at the funeral of a soldier he sent into battle that has died. It looks horrible politically and makes him look like a weak military leader to the rest of the world.

Don't read so much into this trite little bit of fact.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    They won't let ANY funeral or flag draped coffin be seen in the media... whether he's there or not.

He could go to a funeral and keep the press blackout... but at least he could go. But it's kinda late now. He blew his photo op on the flyboy stunt.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

I'm aware that's not what you're talking about NOW... when I initially posted I mistakenly thought this is what was being discussed, thus I clarified myself.

Fine, but re-read the post I responded to. You were talking about pictures of US dead on the battlefield. I meant no offense.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

As for this:

Bush is the commander in Chief. And an emotional one at that. He can't be seen crying at the funeral of a soldier he sent into battle that has died. It looks horrible politically and makes him look like a weak military leader to the rest of the world.

Don't read so much into this trite little bit of fact.

Why would crying over the body of dead soldier be any different than him crying at the thought of the dead at the WTC and Pentagon? He's established himself quite firmly as a sensitive guy who has strong convictions.

The more reasonable explanation is simply that the admin doesn't want photographs of Bush next to coffins and graves, since in his political life he's been responsible for quite a few--both as President and as Governor of Texas.

Now that is bad press.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 56 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

he is politicizing 9/11.

Yes it is. There may be some who have a problem with it, but this mass outrage is complete crap. The ads are very tasteful. They're not graphic and they are in the context of portraying Bush's leadership throughout 9/11 and it's aftermath. And here you are, telling Bush he can't run on his own record. The ads aren't even about 9/11....they are about the nation facing challenges.

And oh gee...imagine: You praise a man who writes a ridiculously skewed article for Newsday. The man actually writes that Giuliani was a "nobody" mayor until 9/11 (not true) and essentially calls him a coward and phony for "not picking up one piece of steel" during the cleanup. Mmmm...perhaps because that's NOT HIS JOB? He was the ****ing mayor! And the criticism of Bush is truly absurd. For all the talk of Bush's appearances being scripted...the one with him standing on rubble absolutely was NOT and that fact is well known. It was literally a last minute thing.

The ads are well done and tasteful. This thread is not.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

YThe man actually writes that Giuliani was a "nobody" mayor until 9/11 (not true) and essentially calls him a coward and phony for "not picking up one piece of steel" during the cleanup. Mmmm...perhaps because that's NOT HIS JOB? He was the ****ing mayor! And the criticism of Bush is truly absurd. For all the talk of Bush's appearances being scripted...the one with him standing on rubble absolutely was NOT and that fact is well known. It was literally a last minute thing.

The ads are well done and tasteful. This thread is not.

A couple of things:

1) Giuliani was on the ropes, politically, just prior to 9/11. No one remembers it, but he was in the middle of a NASTY divorce, and was getting ready to take off with his mistress.

2) Sing that chorus! It's not his fault!
  • Reply 58 of 80
    SDW you always try to turn it around and have it go the exact opposite way.

The ad isn't tasteless the criticism is! How dare we question the president's motives!

funny.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    *** CONFIRMED ***

You will NEVER see a President at the funeral/grave of a soldier he sent into battle during election season.

Is this surprising to any? I mean Bush has so many problems, does anyone honestly believe him not attending these funerals is one? If so, humor me and please state why you personally feel so.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:

*** CONFIRMED ***

You will NEVER see a President at the funeral/grave of a soldier he sent into battle during election season.

Bush's father attended the funeral of my wife's first husband, who died flying F-16s in Desert Storm. He even included his name in a speech.

You sure you want to keep defending this guy?

Cheers

Scott