Excuses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Had a party. Somebody broke expensive pottery art, belonging to my parents. Its very obvious, many many pieces.

what do i tell my parents?

I was gonna go for the 'some drunk guys showed up and kicked it" but i don't wanna suggest that because then i'll get double examined.

its heavy pottery, screwed into the ground.

the house reeks of beer kinda. help please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    febreeze.

as for the pottery, you're hosed.

the truth is probably your best option.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Empty your bank account and move to Bali.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Ever see that episode of Saved by the Bell where the same thing happened? Zack and the gang had a party at Screech's house, and they broke his mom's Elvis statue.

Here's what to do:

Hold ANOTHER party immediately. But you have to charge 10 bucks at the door.

Then buy a similar looking artwork.

Although your parents will come home unexpectedly early- during the second party. So you'll get in trouble twice!

In other words..... you're screwed. \
  • Reply 4 of 50
    This happened to me when I was about 14. Someone spilled Calvados (heavy duty apple-derived alcohol from Northern France) down one of my parents' beautiful Victorian chest of drawers, bleaching the wood. And there were cigarette burns in the new carpet in my Dad's study.

I was ****ed. I expect you will be too.

• Reply 5 of 50
    Oh yeah, advice: it's the truth, I'm afraid. I don't think you're going to find any excuses that'll do it.

"We were having a sponsored drinks-up for HIV awareness in Uganda and the next thing we knew..."

"I thought you'd like it."

Nah. Sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Mom always said don't play ball in the house.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Your folks should be expecting this sort of thing.

It's like leaving a 10 dollar bill in a room full of junkies and getting mad when it turns up missing.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    You're too young to be havin parties
  • Reply 9 of 50
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Parents aren't dumb. And they had parents once, too. They probably figured you'd do something while they were away, but hoped no damage would be done. Fess up. But gently. You probably don't need to tell them about the strippers and cage dancers. "Had some friends over, we were horsing around, and it was an accident. I'm really sorry, and I'll try to make it up to you," sort of thing.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    "Mom, we were just engaging in drinking-related program activities"
  • Reply 11 of 50
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Own up to it...after sparying the house with Febreeze like alcimedes suggested.

Then sue the artist for making a stupid ceramic piece that screws to the damn floor. Damn stupid artists. *humph*
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Your best bet is to be honest, but even better than that, accept responsibility. Tell your parents that you accept that fact that you will be punished and will probably have to replace the damage piece of art. In fact, make sure that your parents take you when they are searching for a replacement piece. Doing this will completely catch them off guard. They will be angry, but working with them over the problem will give you more power than if you completely avoid taking responsibility. Doing this will help you to regain their trust more quickly.

Also, work with those who were at the party to get some reimbursement for the broken item.

One last thing, if your parents ever allow you to have a party again, you will have to work with them to set the ground rules over what happens at the party and who takes responsibility if those rules are broken.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    don't use febreeze if you have birds.. they will die making your life quadruply worse.

honesty is the best policy...
  • Reply 14 of 50
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    xionja...you're a good kid, work hard, parents love you...air out the house as best you can, clean up as best you can, then tell the truth, be honest and face the music..it will be bad for a bit, but you will quickly recover back to your old relationship with the parentoids...

g
  • Reply 15 of 50
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Leave it as it is.

(well, get rid of the smell)

Just before they get back (JUST before) smash your knee with the largest piece, then scrape your shin just below the knee with a sharp edge until it bleeds. When they come in, be laying on the floor by the rubble.

Be sobbing and moaning when they come in, then blubber "oh mom, I'm so sorry about the pottery!!!", making it appear that you care more for the pottery than your own wounds.

Say your bloody injury is "no big deal" and answer any question like "does it hurt?" with "nevermind me, what about the pottery!!!"

Maybe put in a drop or two of Visine in your eyes just before as well. Looks like it hurt enough to make your eyes water, but you still only care about the pottery!!
  • Reply 16 of 50
    note to all:

Proof positive that murbot is evil.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    note to all:

Proof positive that murbot is a genius.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    note to all:

Proof positive that murbot is an evil genius.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    I'm sure he'll be able to live with that.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    note to all:

I want to be Murbot.