Does anyone here love Classical music /

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Debussey, Bartok, Stravinsky, Beethoven, Mozart, some Wagner(*). I know just enough to be able to pick them out of a crowd. My mother-in-law got me a copy of Strung Out on Radiohead - The String Quartet Tribute to Radiohead for last Xmas (I have *no* idea why), and the first track (Airbag) is so *utterly* reminiscent of Bartok that it's just not funny.

(*) The Seattle Symphony did a free concert day a couple of years ago, covering Warner Bros music pieces. _Ride of the Valkyries_ was done, with *GREAT* gusto, complete with the crowd whooping and hollering. At the end of it, the conductor turned around and addressed the crowd, roughly saying "Thank you! Only in Seattle do people know how to *APPRECIATE* Wagner!" He was drowned out with a thunderous applause and cheer. At the Opera House. I miss that town.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Actually, that's not really true. Film composing is an entirely different thing from "new music" composing. Film composers often don't even do their own orchestrations. Williams doesn't, for example. I'm working on my Masters in Music and I've taken two composition classes with a successful composer. Today's composers often survive through University teaching posts and comissioned works.

Basically, their talents have no commercial value, so they either receive federal funding to compose original pieces or to teach other people to be equally as useless. Which is why I said successful composers.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    My wife and I have had a subscription to the National Arts Centre Orchestra here in Ottawa for the last few years. It's been wonderful to hear it live regularly. A good home sound system can reveal the music nicely, but nothing beats the sound live.

We've been lucky the last few years in Ottawa with Pinchas Zukerman as Conductor and Musical Director (and fairly frequent soloist as well) - he really has the Orchestra fired up.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Classical music....music that stands the test of time... music that can stand up for itself without the need for excess baggage...music that can be transposed from a full orchestra to a single acoustic guitar or piano and still retain its essential character...music that is challenging to listen to, that I may not necessarily understand or even enjoy first, second or even third time round....it can be in any format, from a full scale symphony to a 3 minute pop song. My favorite composers: Ives, Stravinsky, Ravel, Debussy, Copland, Grainger, Gershwin, Reich, Adams, .... the list goes on and on!
  • Reply 25 of 41
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Speaking of composers of flim music, i find the music of Hans Zimmerman as plesurable as it is wide ranging.

I still listen to his "Regarding Henry" material. If some of you haven't heard it, then go out an buy it or borrow it from a friend.

Make sure to put it on when you want to relax and let go of a few stresses. ( great wine glass / feet up reading a book type music )
  • Reply 26 of 41
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Speaking of composers of flim music, i find the music of Hans Zimmerman as plesurable as it is wide ranging.

Hans Zimmer.

I enjoy his work as well, along with other film composers working today like Elliot Goldenthal and Howard Shore. I believe we had a thread dedicated to film scores a few months ago.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Other than Glass.

Any other composers of merit from the 1980's and onward. ?

God, plenty. There's always Arvo Pärt, of course, an Estonian composer who writes intensely spiritual, minimal music that can be very, very beautiful indeed. Go and listen to 'Silentium' on the iTunes store: two violins, prepared piano, genius. I recommend his 'Miserere'.

There's also Gavin Bryars, composer of 'Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet', 'The Sinking of the Titanic' and an amazing requiem, 'Cadman Requiem'.

They're good.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    There's not one bad suggestion above. Good show people!

Hassan i Sabbah, danggit man, you pulled the thoughts out of my head... Those are EXCELLENT suggestions for one wanting to broaden his classical music horizons.

I have Gavin Bryars' first two records in the original British vinyl pressings. MAGNIFICENT!!! These are "Dereck Bailey" and of course "The Sinking Of The Titanic". I've been offered a lot of dough for "The Titanic" LP but I'm not selling it.

Aquafire, "the Titanic" has nothing to do with the movies and Rautavaara and Bryars are still composing.

Bravo people!
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Yeah! I'll buy the Sinking of the Titanic off you.

Fellowship, you really should check out 'Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet' if you don't already know it. As well as being a beautiful piece of music, its composition is a very moving story.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Not I, said Messiahtosh...but my brother does!

EDUCATION:

Undergraduate: Cleveland Institute of Music - Cerones, Paul Kantor.

Also studied with James Lyon, William dePasquale.

http://www.clevelandpops.com/winner2000.htm
  • Reply 31 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Basically, their talents have no commercial value, so they either receive federal funding to compose original pieces or to teach other people to be equally as useless. Which is why I said successful composers.

Ummm....I'm sorry. I disagree. What does federal funding have to do with anything? They operate on commissioned works for colleges, high schools, professional groups, etc. They do have commerical value. It's very hard to become "successful", but many do. I could easily point to many compsoers for music education (particularly bands) that are quite successful. I agree there is money in TV, movies, etc. I'm telling you though, I personally know some successful composers. For example, I've taken two classes with this man:

http://www.presser.com/Composers/inf...e=ROBERTMAGGIO
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Anyone here a Hélène Grimaud?

Wonderful pianist and very beautiful.

she's on iTMS

www.helenegrimaud.com

I'm in love....
  • Reply 33 of 41
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Arvo Part is great. Another contemporary composer I would like to mention is someone less known, but who is actually an occasional AI poster: Frederik Magle. Some of his music is here:

http://www.magle.dk/
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Anyone here a Hélène Grimaud?

Wonderful pianist and very beautiful.

she's on iTMS

www.helenegrimaud.com

I'm in love....

Good looks don't hurt, even in classical music.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Helene Grimaud only love her wolfs.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

She's also an amazing person with a great personality.

I stayed up till 6 am the other day just so i could listen to her live on the french RTL radio.

Marvelous. Stunning.

I'm going to buy her book as soon as I go back to Italy.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

How do I apply for one of those positions?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I find that contemporary artist John Barry fits my taste... Trevor Rabin is also a rising master of the musical score. Both tend more toward movies, though... The main title from "Enemy of the State" is simply stunning, IMHO.

As for those currently enjoying ambient ground temperature, I'd say Greig, Wagner, and Pachelbel, with a dash of Brother WA Mozart. Handel's Messiah is also a fine work.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Yeah, she is crazy about them. She gets so excited talking about them in the radio interview.

If anyone's interested I wiretapped it. It's in French.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

I have Gavin Bryars' first two records in the original British vinyl pressings. MAGNIFICENT!!! These are "Dereck Bailey" and of course "The Sinking Of The Titanic". I've been offered a lot of dough for "The Titanic" LP but I'm not selling it.

Much like I'm not selling the cd and 12" of the remixes of Bryars' "Sinking Of The Titanic" by Aphex Twin.

Anyone listen to Stockhausen?