How is AI perceived by the rest of the mac community?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm not sure. I'm guessing a casual observer might stumble across AppleOutsider and be tempted to slit his/her wrists after reading a few "choice" threads. Being an election year and all, the AO Brain Trust will, no doubt, be in full-tilt Obnoxio? mode. Even more than usual. Condescending, rude and ill-mannered know-it-alls, gasbags and malcontents. And people wonder why I removed myself...

When I said civil, I meant excluding AO, of course.

That said, I'll dip my feet in there on occasion, but when it becomes purely a name calling or I'm right, you're wrong shouting match (as opposed to a debate), I'm gone.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It's better to be a pirate than join the Navy.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    are you asking if "our forum can beat up your forum"?

while we won't out-avatar anybody (thankfully),

there are a few who might try and out-smilie others

Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Mac Achaia (Ars):

"It is against rules to block ads! DO NOT EVER BLOCK THEM EVER EVER!!"

AppleInsider:

"**** our ads. Here is detailed information on how to block our ads."

I love this place.

not quite the regular comedy value of CrazyAppleRumours, (murbot drive repair tips excluded)

but more than made for by the real knowledge content, and occasional workerbee,

and at times in the sense of community as we build our own mythos...

I would bet that all the other rumour sites lurk here if not post (as Powerjack or Nick often do),

hell, even Kasper's Newsbot is starting to cite posts here as sources.

and nobody else seemed to shred the Overclocking G5-gutting-idiot like he got ripped here
  • Reply 24 of 46
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i don't know how the other forums view us over here, but i only joined cuz they were offering free pizza. by the way, where is my damned pizza?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i don't know how the other forums view us over here, but i only joined cuz they were offering free pizza. by the way, where is my damned pizza?

oops, another victim of that old gag. what you get here is free pizzaz not pizza, go talk to BR about that
  • Reply 26 of 46
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I never really lurked here. I found AI one night when I was surfing, checked it out and signed up on the spot. I've been going strong since August 17th 2003. Wow...I have a lotta posts for only being around 7 months, but it's been a great 7 months.

You registered almost exactly a month after me and now you have almost exactly TEN TIMES as many posts. Mwahahahaha. That's hilarious.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Didn't anyone tell you? We ship it UPS Ground, which usually dampens people's enthusiasm.

We could afford air freight if more people didn't block the ads.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
  • Reply 29 of 46
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

You registered almost exactly a month after me and now you have almost exactly TEN TIMES as many posts. Mwahahahaha. That's hilarious.

Speaking of that...has anybody seen Placebo lately? Maybe he got old enough to get a girlfriend.....and/or a life. I miss him. \
  • Reply 30 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think his G5 fell off his desk and crushed him. Did you see how he had his tower perched high on his desk? I warned him...

• Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

I'm not sure. I'm guessing a casual observer might stumble across AppleOutsider and be tempted to slit his/her wrists after reading a few "choice" threads. Being an election year and all, the AO Brain Trust will, no doubt, be in full-tilt Obnoxio? mode. Even more than usual. Condescending, rude and ill-mannered know-it-alls, gasbags and malcontents. And people wonder why I removed myself...

But I digress...

Bah. Your silliness is for naught at this point. The mods in AO have doubled and threads get locked when there's even close to a whisper of evilness. That said, the mods are doing some fine work and even let a few good&evil threads live a little longer than they probably should. Just for fun.

To wit, we've got the perpetual 'Paul Scates is a Wimp' thread. Close to a couple thousand posts I'd reckon. Basically it's a lot of 'Yooouuu caaaan'tt seee uuuus.....Nahhh Naaah Nah Naaah Nah'.....

But we all want you back.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    AI has the best Apple forums bar none. Seriously, there are tons of super intelligent people here. And it looks cool.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

I think his G5 fell off his desk and crushed him. Did you see how he had his tower perched high on his desk? I warned him...

Well, he was a little guy. RIP my friend.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Well...they're probably all wondering when I'm gonna post a pic of my setup.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Well...they're probably all wondering when I'm gonna post a pic of my setup.

I assure you, whatever yours looks like, mine is worse...more messy and with more computers sitting on top of crap they shouldn't be sitting on. I'm surprised I haven't been crushed or lost thousands of dollars of equipment because of a collapse.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Seriously, there are tons of super intelligent people here. And it looks cool.

Who?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Maybe it blew him through a wall ?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I think that we are kinda that weird-step child.

The MacAddict forums are sprawling, and very complex, so you have great stuff, and crap.

AI has the best forums of any rumor site, as long as you stay out of the hot threads in AO you should be good. The last heavy discussion I had in one of those threads switched my views on a topic, and flipped em back again.

The Ambrosia SW forums are excellent in the sense of community they provide. Unfortunately no forum has ever surpassed the joy I had posting to the EV forums. Ah good times.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Oh come on kids...we're all praising ourselves.

Here's an assignment....slip out stealthily to those "other" forums and ask them which Mac forums are the best....don't even mention AI.....see what you get. Be sure to post it back here too!

Oh yes, that Paul Scates guy...whah....what a wimp.

• Reply 40 of 46
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I came here from the Macrumors forums. A lot of the old users I knew had left the MR forums for one reason or another and I was looking for a place to start over.

I still post over there from time to time (do a search for the user "job;" I have over 3000 posts there,) but I think it's become too "mainstream." Everyone, their mom, and their dog seems to know about it now. It's lost the air of illicit rumor-mongering and outlandish threads that stoke the fires of rumor-ville that make AI what it is.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.