Dawn of the Dead Ousts the Passion in sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Both have characters that die and return from the dead...

Hmmm. I see a movie idea here...no working title...anyone?

It's have to be better than Mel's planned sequal to Passion : Mad Messiah, Beyond Bethlehem.

It's just interesting seeing Zombies from Hell beat out Jesus for the Box Office. Maybe that's just me... or maybe churches finally stoppped bussing whole groups in to see the movie.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Or maybe The Passion's been out for a month and so box office sales would predictably start to fall?

It's just a movie, people. Nobody expected it to stay on top forever.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Or maybe The Passion's been out for a month and so box office sales would predictably start to fall?

It's just a movie, people. Nobody expected it to stay on top forever.

you think?

• Reply 24 of 46
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    WWJW: What Would Jesus Watch?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

WWJW: What Would Jesus Watch?

I think he's got a "Life of Brian" tape stuck in his VCR.. don't think he would enjoy Mel's POS.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Where can I download the trailer for that?

You can download the first 10 min of the movie (as played on USA Station) from our site here. You'll need divx (and xvid?) to play it and I can't guarantee how long that'll be there though so get it now.

*rrraarrrr gggrrrffff shuffle shuffle*
  • Reply 27 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Thanks for the hook up, dude!

Oh man, that kid takes a good chunk out of his neck. Clint Malarchuk all over again.

• Reply 28 of 46
    I love that overhead shot of the car wreck

Not having seen this re-make yet (hopefully this weekend), this little 10 min intro says to me that they are willing to change/add things with is great. I'm a huge fan of the original DotD (musta seen it hundreds of time in jr high/high school), but I'm glad to see they are willing to expand a bit.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

Nothing like a sliced jugular.

(that's Clint Malarchuk after having a skate blade carve a nice 6 inch gash in his throat, for the non-hockey guys)
  • Reply 30 of 46
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Me too but I love zombie movies.

In Dawn of the Dead the zombies are on screen.

In Passion, they are in the audience.

I digress!

Let's not forget to jab Christians if we can. Thanks for getting that in.

• Reply 31 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Murbot, thanks for that Malarchuk memory!

And today's player whine about a two hander across the face...luxury!
  • Reply 32 of 46
    2 main things i didnt like about the movie. They gave no explanation for the zombies at all, none whatsoever. it just sorta happened. the other is that the whole idea behind the other ones (night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, day of the dead) is that the dead rose from the grave, regardless of weather or not it was a bite that killed them. in this one, you only become a zombie if you get bitten by one.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    I don't think they ever gave any explanation as to the zombie origins in the originals either. Just speculation... hell is full, radiation, etc.

I can't remember if anyone ever died of natural causes in any of the original movies. I'm pretty sure in the first one they do get attacked in a graveyard by a zombie sporting a backless tux though.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I watched Dawn of the Dead with the fiancee the night before last. I would have posted about it when I got home, but she was literally clinging to me the entire time we were at home. She made me sleep facing the bedroom door and she clung to my back like a baby Koala bear the entire night. Scared the shit out of her, and she is a big-time horror movie girl.

I loved it, I thought it was a lot of fun. It is a scary one. My own fear was definitely heightened by hers while we were watching, though I got over it quickly after leaving the theater.

The speed! My God, the speed! How fast these things run makes the whole thing so much scarier. Like I said above, the Scream murderer was balls-out to kill you. There was nothing supernatural about him (like Jason or Freddy), he was definitely a human being so he was more real.

Kick:

28 Days Later is not technically a zombie movie, but that is a superficial distinction. In every other way it is a classic zombie movie. And it is obvious that this new Dawn of the Dead was influenced heavily by 28 Days Later.

Nothing beats 28 Days Later for creepy scenery, though... deserted London was just fantastic cinematography.

"The Man Comes Around" is the best song EVER! What a way to start off a movie.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I love the way this one ended. That is what pissed me off about 28 Days Later... the ****ing happy ending. NO! No happy endings in zombie movies! Just ****loads of insane zombies coming to eat your ass at all times. No sleeping, no eating, no thinking, no feeling, just ****ing insane rampaging! WOOO!

*END SPOILERS*
  • Reply 35 of 46
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Anybody ever catch "Resident Evil"? I thought it was going to be a joke and laughed at my brother for buying the DVD (had never played the original game either). But it was actually a pretty interesting movie for being zombie-based.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Anybody ever catch "Resident Evil"? I thought it was going to be a joke and laughed at my brother for buying the DVD (had never played the original game either). But it was actually a pretty interesting movie for being zombie-based.

Too little zombie, too many kills via computers.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Too little zombie, too many kills via computers.

I guess there's always hope for the sequel.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I guess there's always hope for the sequel.

I really do hope for the sequel because the original had a lot of promise. It fell short of really good in my opinion, but was on the right track.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

28 Days Later did for zombie flicks what Scream did for slasher flicks, speed.

You should see LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE (1974). It's actually a much earlier use of speed with zombies. Most are still slow, but some good photography makes for some good suspense and the first use of fast zombie.

Saw DAWN OF THE DEAD tonight and it gets a solid thumbs up. Many very well done moments and scenes, and not nearly as crappy as most horror films these days. Stay through the credits for a good ending, but Fulci's ZOMBIE (1979) still has probably the best ending of all.

You see either of those two classics Groverat?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Saw Dawn of the Dead about a week ago with a group of friends. Normally, I am TERRIFIED at horror movies like this. For some reason, though, this one just didn't strike me as scary. It was rather comical, and kind of bad, but in a really good way. I enjoyed it, and although I do think it was awful, I still highly recommend it.

My friends and I found the ending credits really funny though. It was as though the director acknowledged the badness of his film, and then said "well, to compensate for that I'll start the credits with boobs!!!".