Dawn of the Dead Ousts the Passion in sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Saw Dawn of the Dead about a week ago with a group of friends. Normally, I am TERRIFIED at horror movies like this. For some reason, though, this one just didn't strike me as scary. It was rather comical, and kind of bad, but in a really good way. I enjoyed it, and although I do think it was awful, I still highly recommend it.

Yeah, there is a fine line between gratuitous, scary gore and pure comedy because of the sheer "overdone" nature of the film.

• Reply 42 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think people overrate the older movies because they were younger when they saw them. Of course you are more scared of a movie when you are 12 than when you are 25.

I watched the old Dawn of the Dead again and it is no contest which one is scarier. Those zombies are so slow in the old one you can run around inside a group of them. Now, it turns out to have a positive side because it allows more time for the zombies to actually be on film, but it also forces the non-zombie characters to act more slowly and stupidly. It is a trade-off that I don't think is worth it. Scary movies are scarier when you see the monster sparingly, IMO.

Towards the end of DotD2k4 they tried some odd-transition to a hand-held look (and I'm not talking about the credits) and that didn't do it for me, because the first 3/4ths of the movie was shot Hollywood-style.

b:

I had not seen either of those, but I wrote them down and will look for them.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I watched the old Dawn of the Dead again and it is no contest which one is scarier.

I think the original Dawn is just cheesy unfortunately, but the new one was very good.

As for the other two, they're old, but I only saw them in recent years. LSCLie isn't great, but it's just neat (historically speaking) to see kind of a precursor to our current genre of zombie films.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    In the old DotD the zombies are just a little ashy. It looks like you could rub them down with lotion and heal them right up.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    any flick that takes place in Wisconson is just too cheesey for me (rimshot followd by a beat down from my fellow packer fans )
  • Reply 46 of 46
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I saw the original DotD in art school a few years back and while it wasn't scary at first, the slow tide of mindless dead shuffling around everywhere got under my skin by the end. I hope to see this new remake, I'm glad the remake did it justice.