Ford not living up to its promise.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I think he means in terms of production, i.e. building new cars uses more resources than if you kept your old one.

More demand for new cars=more consumption of resources to build them.

Has anyone seen those huge car dealerships that have hundreds of brand-new cars sitting in their lots? Detroit must be working overtime. Who buys all those vehicles anyways?

it's kind of a catch-22, because the only way to overcome that is to popularize them, make manufacturers make it the standard, and production costs, and hopefully pollution:yield ratios will go down. But, in doing that, there will be a period of time where it's harmful.

Another one of those pesky "do the ends justify the means" questions. Personally, I say yes, because, I feel that if our cars all achieved 50+ MPG standard due to a massive adoption of hybrids(being, most new cars being hybrids)

Unfortunately, the embedded marketplace is SO big and SO saturated. It's like people who think apple can one day dominate the market. It's just not going to happen, not anytime soon at least. the problem here is that all cars, regardless as to whether they are macs or PCs comparatively have the potential to last ~10+ years easily with some care. So that's just even longer of a time window till someone has to make the decision "hybrid or regular"

ya know?

there is a lot at stake here though, and a lot to factor in. we need more efficient cars one way or another, these types of things can't happen overnight, but they do need to happen sooner (preferably) than later.

As a side note, I was reading about hybrids, apparently, um...honda I think, makes their hybrids on the same lines as their regulars, just with a few extended steps, and in that respect they aren't drastically(as in negating the purpose to buy them)pollutant.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Absolutely. I've had several people tell me that they bought their SUV for 'safety' reasons, but then they drive them so recklessly that it doesn't really matter, even if there was any inherent safety in buying such a large vehicle.

there may not be anything safer about an SUV, but sitting behind the wheel of one you feel safe. Elevated from the ground, in this huge mass of car. Big everything, it is a feeling of empowerment and whatnot. I'm a big brave dog I'm a big brave dog I'm a big brave dog.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Actually, I hope people keep buying SUVs.

I'm working on rollover detection algorithms-- I need to keep my job.

As for me, I'll stick to sports cars, thank you. Remember, a standard Porsche 911 (993 or 996) Turbo has all-wheel drive. Slap a set of snow tires on that baby, and it'll be ready for any Detroit winter.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

They [SUVs] are perfectly warranted in some areas of the country, and in some situations

I'm no fan of SUVs myself (as imho, most people driving one would be better off with another car). Ironically, when I was looking for new car a few years ago, I ended up buying a SUV (or better a UV, I wouldn't call a 2.0l diesel with 112 hp and about 100mph max speed a "Sport" Utility Vehicle). The car is mainly used by my wife. She has a horse, so the car should be able to pull a horse trailer (with two horses, so she could make excursions together with a friend). So I ended up with those specs: automatic, diesel (because of the better torque/price ratio), able to pull at least 1.8 tons... Especially the last requirement ruled out many cars. I was looking for station wagons at first. Cars fulfilling these requirements were e.g.

Audi A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant

BMW 330d touring

BMW 525d touring

Volvo V70

All were in a price range above 35.000 Euro. Then I started to look at 4WDs and finally found a Landrover Freelander TD4 for about 30.000 Euro. And my wife is happy now...
  • Reply 65 of 65
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't mind it when someone needs an SUV but lets face it, most SUVs are filled with a single person driving to work or shopping. Some dipshit moron that has to park it in the "compact" space in the parking garage. Come to think of it I have NEVER seen more than one person in an H2 hauling anything.

Most SUV drivers just want to dominate the road. It's a form of terrorism. They need psychological counseling.