"This One Is Big"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    "5 days left...where else can we use a '5'...?"

• Reply 62 of 107
    cubedcubed Posts: 10member
    [quote]Originally posted by macXusr:

<strong>the one word i have not seen associated yet with the "this one is big" proclimation is the introduction og GigaWire into the Apple product line.

I think whatever GigaWire is (some reports suggest GiagWire and 802.11e are same thing, I think we will be finding out Jan 7 when it is intoduced on the iMac and PowerMacs</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think macXuser hit it on the head. Steve is not so excited by new/faster processors like we are. What excites him is whole new capabilities.. Fire wire, DVD R drives, iPod/iTunes integration. these are things he really dug introducing. This is stuff that he can compete, and beat, wintel at.

It's possible that a huge bump in performance accross the Mac line would warrent such hyping on Apple's part, but I don't think Steve would want to give raw perfomance such an important profile. He wants to change the rules of the game so that it's based on actual capabilities competitors don't have.

The only thing we've heard about so far that might fit this bill is gigawire. It's possible he would hype up the whole new iMac form factor, like he did the orignaly imac, but it would have to be as big an advance as the original one was. Maybe a new form factor that scales through the entire Mac line? (doubtful)
  • Reply 63 of 107
    danhodanho Posts: 22member
    I think Apple will deliver "big time" at MWSF for the following reasons:

1. Apple must be painfully aware of the buzz about G5, LCD/G4 imac, etc; i.e., they know what people are expecting.

2. I suspect that the combination of buzz and no denial from Apple is suppressing sales of Imacs, PMs, etc.

3. Apple must stem its constant falling behind the price/performance curve.

Given (1) and (2), it would be catastrophic for Apple to super hype MWSF without substance. They would lose credibility in the financial markets (note that aapl has recently done quite well, I think), and they would lose credibility in the consumer marketplace. Remember, "one 'Oh sh*t' is worth a thousand 'Atta boys'".

As others on these forums have far more eloquently stated, G5s and G4 Imacs will arrive on 7 Jan!!

danho
  • Reply 64 of 107
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by cooop:

[quote] I disagree. As JYD stated above, Apple hasn't thrown this much attention on any product introduction in recent history; there was no company hype surrounding the first PowerMac G4,<hr></blockquote>

Not true. For both the iMac- and G4 (or was that the smurf tower?) they replaced their entire website with just a simple banner ("pro, go, whoa").

So the current hype is perfectly in line with the introduction of a new iMac alone.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    The Apple site is down at the moment.

9:39 am CST
  • Reply 66 of 107
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by Cobra:

[quote]The Apple site is down at the moment.

<hr></blockquote>

nope.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Remember the iMac introduction:

something like:

"This is not yesterday's technology. We could have put a 604e in this computer, but we didn't. We think consumers deserve better. The iMac has the same G3 processor as our regular products."

Apple has no problem putting Today's chips in the iMac. It's limited by it's expandability, offering clear lines between consumer and pro users in that way - iMac G5s are possible!
  • Reply 68 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Smircle:

<strong>Originally posted by Cobra:

nope.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep
  • Reply 69 of 107
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Down for me too
  • Reply 70 of 107
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think products are more likely the big news more than features. That is, solutions will be the highlight, not the specs. Improved specs in Apple's eyes are nice to talk about, not a big deal in the big pictures. Likewise, I don't think non-Apple-fanatics (like media outlets) would be impressed with big specs if it's not tied together as one larger package. Therefore, I don't think G5s and GigaWire would be the big deal, not by themselves.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Rasti-:

<strong>Something seems not right to me about new PowerMacs...

I talked about it in a thread i opened.

Now to add more to this one, after checking the promos on the Apple Store, I noticed they pushed back the end of the "monitor + powermac" rebate to end of january????

What does it mean??? :-/

for me, two things: no new LCD screens and no new PM before february.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, this doesn't strike you as a way of disposing of soon-to-be-unwanted G4s, does it?
  • Reply 72 of 107
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    [quote]Originally posted by Smircle:

<strong>Originally posted by cooop:

Not true. For both the iMac- and G4 (or was that the smurf tower?) they replaced their entire website with just a simple banner ("pro, go, whoa").

So the current hype is perfectly in line with the introduction of a new iMac alone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "pro go whoa" banner marked the introduction of faster powermac G3's, the WallStreet PowerBooks, and the iMac, these products deserved the hype because they marked the end of Apple's byzantine array of consumer and pro products, and marked the beginning of the four-part product matrix.

All a new iMac would represent would be a revision to an existing product, not a complete restructuring of the product line, and, all in all, not very hype worthy.

The original iBook came with alot of hype because it was the last slot in the matrix to be filled in, and also marked the introduction of AirPort. Yet, when the new iBook came out, it took us all by surprise, there had been no hype surrounding the announcement whatsoever, but the product itself was truly a breakthrough in size, features, and price.

The G4 towers came completely out of nowhere at Seybold a couple of Augusts ago, no one was expecting them, and Apple hadn't been hyping the event that much. Same with the PowerBook Titanium G4, Apple said nothing, they just sprung it on us at last year's SF expo.

The iPod got some pretty substantial hype, they never called it "revolutionary," but the word "breakthrough" was bandied about, justifiably, I'd argue. And why? It's just an MP3 player, but perhaps so much more...

So now, two weeks ago Apple moved up the keynote by a day and lenthened it by an hour, and the hype machine started. "The first time in 18 years," "We're working hard to make this the most exciting expo ever," and now "This one is big, even by our standards," and "Count the days, Count the minutes, Count on being blown away." We haven't seen this much hype since The Chip, the Shopping Cart, and the Screwdriver (new processors, apple store, and bto) and Pro Go Whoa.

With this much hype, it's obvious that this is much more than just a feature bump or new models, not to suggest that such revisions aren't necessary or imminent, but this is something that's going to appeal to more than just us fanboys, it's going to have to be, and it's going to be, huge.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 73 of 107
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel:

<strong>"5 days left...where else can we use a '5'...?"

</strong><hr></blockquote>Yeah, how about this on apple.com:

"Gee, 5 days left until MWSF."
  • Reply 74 of 107
    LOL! Nice one BRussell.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dirty Harry = Troll

Don't bother responding to him. You'll only get him going.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

this is just awesome
  • Reply 77 of 107
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Heh. I hereby admit to getting a big, stupid grin on my face when i read that on apple.com

This is fun.

-robo
  • Reply 78 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>

The "pro go whoa" banner marked the introduction of faster powermac G3's, the WallStreet PowerBooks, and the iMac, these products deser...

... but this is something that's going to appeal to more than just us fanboys, it's going to have to be, and it's going to be, huge.

ciao,

michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

Michael, that was a very nice rundown of the past events that have lead us to MWSF02... It sure does put things into perspective... The hype Apple is doing for this event is huge and after reading that rundown I'm now begining to feel that the iMac II will only be a part of the reason. I'm still of the feeling that we WONT see the G5 (even IF I really want it) but I have a strong feeling we will hear about Gigawire (the new firewire) and a bunch more on the digital devices.

Dave
  • Reply 79 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

Disclaimer: This message isn't readable on the PowerMac G5

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why, I can read it just fine
  • Reply 80 of 107
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    I'm making a turn around on my opinions. I've been saying "No G5, No G4 iMac." I'm just not so sure any more. Apple is telling me I'm going to be "blown away?!" That is big talk, and any old advertising Joe knows that you can't talk big if you can't deliver big.

If they believe MWSF has the potential to blow me away, then they might just come through with products I, and most rational AI folks, believed impossibly unlikely.

... or they are setting themselves up for one giant fall.

- Pook