Alu blemish (pics)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    of course, it can be tough to stress test a material for the 6 months necessary to realize that human palm sweat might make holes appear in the aluminum.

as for the rest, yeah, those are real problems, and the main reason i don't buy the Rev. A of anyone's products.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

of course, it can be tough to stress test a material for the 6 months necessary to realize that human palm sweat might make holes appear in the aluminum.

as for the rest, yeah, those are real problems, and the main reason i don't buy the Rev. A of anyone's products.

Well, they due show up in less than 6 months, and the 12 and 17 had been out 6 months before I bought my 15inch.

Yeah, I won't do it again, but I fell back on the principle that you buy the best that you can at the time and stay happier with it longer. I know see the flaws in that strategy. Next time I am going with rev B. refurbished products to save money and frustration.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    well, the problem is that sometimes the Rev. A is a great buy. and other times the first revision is something you just HAVE to have.

for example, i bought the dual G5, and it's a rev. a product. so far it's been ok, but the heat sensor in the drive bay is a perfect example of a rev. a problem.

it's too close to the side of the case, and doesn't pick up accurate heat readings. in the long run, this could cause HD failure. now, i went in a moved the sensor myself to a better location, and since then it's been fine, but that could have wiped two drives after 9 months and i'd have had no idea what hit me.

the last revision of a product is almost always the best though, and a refurbed Ti after the Al books came out would be a great deal.

now in the case of the screen white spots etc, that should have been caught before production. guess everyone misses a few things here and there.

if it's any consolation, Apple's products have the lowest defect/return rate, and highest customer satisfaction ratings. it's just too bad that after dropping thousands crap can still go wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    My little iBook doesn't mind sweaty palms
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

My little iBook doesn't mind sweaty palms

I know, I know. I can't wait until iBooks catch up with the tech that is in the Powerbooks. I really like the tougher form factor. I hope the next generation keeps that rugged feel but loses some of that white plastic look. I would buy a black iBook made out of that plastic though.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

so far it's been ok, but the heat sensor in the drive bay is a perfect example of a rev. a problem.

it's too close to the side of the case, and doesn't pick up accurate heat readings. in the long run, this could cause HD failure. now, i went in a moved the sensor myself to a better location, and since then it's been fine, but that could have wiped two drives after 9 months and i'd have had no idea what hit me.

Drifting off topic for a bit...

Not having access to the firmware for the G5, it's impossible to tell whether the heat sensor is doing what it's designed to do or not.

In any case, using the G5 without modification keeps the drive bays within the range of the specifications recommended by the drive manufacturers. This issue came up in the first place because of some vocal complaints about drive failures and people feeling that the (within spec) drive temperatures were hot to the touch, but what often gets glossed over in these discussions is that the rated first-year failure rate for Maxtor's high-end drives is "less than 1%."

Since this implies strongly that as many as 1% of their drives are expected to fail in the first year even when operated well within specifications, there's a good chance that the vocal owner of a failed drive would have had the same problem regardless of temperature system design or placement.

-- Mark
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

the last revision of a product is almost always the best though, and a refurbed Ti after the Al books came out would be a great deal.

Maybe, but these problems described here are very minor compared to what the Ti paint will look like after half a year to a year of regular use.

-- Mark
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

Maybe, but these problems described here are very minor compared to what the Ti paint will look like after half a year to a year of regular use.

-- Mark

Not necessarily. I work with several people who have the last revision of the ti book purchased towards the end of 2002 and they still look great.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    as for the heat sensor issue, there were a few threads about it. it amounted to the heat sensors would never kick the fan above the lowest settings, regardless of the drive's temp. reading.

even when the drives were running at their hottest. (a few degrees still below the max value granted)

move the sensor and the fan would kick into higher gear when they were in heavy use. much better situation.