iTMS/Pepsi Promotion Ends March 31....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
.... do you think there will be an extension due to slow roll out of the yellow bottle caps in some markets? My hunch is yes. We'll see!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

.... do you think there will be an extension due to slow roll out of the yellow bottle caps in some markets? My hunch is yes. We'll see!

As has been stated many times before, you have until the end of April to redeem the caps. I would assume that no more bottles are going to be produced at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    at my college we got the bottles on time, and as of yesterday, there are no more iTunes bottles stocked. I am glad I have to April to redeem songs though.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

at my college we got the bottles on time, and as of yesterday, there are no more iTunes bottles stocked. I am glad I have to April to redeem songs though.

What I am not so sure about is if iTunes will allow you to enter new codes after tomorrow or it will only allow codes that have already been entered to be redeemed.

I guess we'll find out on Thursday.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think it was pretty much a non-event and a bust, wasn't it? I asked the other week, but has anything really changed? Maybe an extra iPod or two were purchased worldwide?

But it wasn't anything worth the hype and build-up.

They could've saved the money and just made a couple of nice 15- or 30- second iLife 04, iBook or general Mac/Apple commercials, maybe even premiering one during the Super Bowl, featuring 30 seconds of drool-inducing footage Apple hardware, the OS doing its thing (people dig the Genie!) and making it clear what iLife 04 is and how it rocks (along with a well-written and compelling voiceover) to, gee...I don't know, cause people to actually, say, think about or investigate Apple a bit further once the game ended? This IS the 20th anniversary, after all. Would've made some sort of sense.

Oh wait, I forgot...it's a mystery, and a cool, exclusive club!

Instead, we get some surly-looking, marble-mouthed teens acting all put upon by The Man, while shilling for the shittiest, worst-tasting soft drink ever invented.

Yes, makes me want to buy a G5 or iBook! Put me down for a "yes".

• Reply 5 of 25
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

i hope not... pepsi is a scab to apple and the idea was good but it screwed apple
  • Reply 6 of 25
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The promotion ends on 3/31 and you have until 4/30 to redeem. However, because of the slow roll out I still wonder if the promo will continue an extra month.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    No.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think it was pretty much a non-event and a bust, wasn't it? I asked the other week, but has anything really changed? Maybe an extra iPod or two were purchased worldwide?

But it wasn't anything worht the hype and build-up.

They could've saved the money and just made a couple of nice 15- or 30- second iLife 04, iBook or general Mac/Apple commercials, maybe even premiering one at the Super Bowl, featuring 30 seconds of drool-inducing footage Apple hardware, the OS doing its thing (people dig the Genie!) and making it clear what iLife 04 is and how it rocks (along with a well-written and compelling voiceover) to, gee...I don't know, cause people to actually, say, think about or investigate Apple a bit further once the game ended?

Bust or not, I now have a dozen friends that are running iTunes that would not listen to me before the Pepsi promotion. They are now locked into iTunes for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Well then, I take back everything I said.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

But it wasn't anything worth the hype and build-up.

They could've saved the money and just made a couple of nice 15- or 30- second iLife 04, iBook or general Mac/Apple commercials, maybe even premiering one during the Super Bowl, featuring 30 seconds of drool-inducing footage Apple hardware, the OS doing its thing (people dig the Genie!) and making it clear what iLife 04 is and how it rocks (along with a well-written and compelling voiceover) to, gee...I don't know, cause people to actually, say, think about or investigate Apple a bit further once the game ended? This IS the 20th anniversary, after all. Would've made some sort of sense.

Instead, we get some surly-looking, marble-mouthed teens acting all put upon by The Man, while shilling for the shittiest, worst-tasting soft drink ever invented.

Yes, makes me want to buy a G5 or iBook! Put me down for a "yes".

Apple didn't pay a cent for the free tunes (well, unless songs still cost Apple more than 99¢). They were purchased by Pepsi. No loss. All gain. Otherwise, I don't think Steve I-Hate-Soda Jobs would've gone for it.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Well then, I take back everything I said.

Why? You were right on the money about lack of quality ads. However, don't under estimate the power of legitimacy Pepsi brought to iTunes. Before the Pepsi promo, iTunes was "yet another Apple thing that HOM, the Apple geek, was trying to get them to use." Now they use it and love it. They are also locked into iTunes because their songs aren't going to play in any other player*.

*Assuming that Real and VLC don't get their act together or Apple blocks them.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

i hope not... pepsi is a scab to apple and the idea was good but it screwed apple

that is so untrue, i know 4 people who now are iTunes junkies because of the promotion. all are now buying tracks (the yellowtops are long gone) and one is asking me all sorts of general questions about apple products. did i mention they are all pc users?

i think it was a successful promotion. unless you'd like to illuminate us on how exactly it screwed apple.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I bought at least 10 songs with the 2 I redeemed.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm not so sure we want to call it a bust until Apple tells us how many were redeemed and how many NEW users signed up for iTMS to redeem the caps.

What did you expect anyway? What kind of pomp and circumstance could be had with a promotion like this? Apple has had no shows to say, "The promotion is going very well," and the promotion hasn't ended yet. What else do you want? It's not like all the big celebrities in Hollywood are going to go on Entertainment Tonight and proclaim what a wonderful promotion it is.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm not so sure we want to call it a bust until Apple tells us how many were redeemed and how many NEW users signed up for iTMS to redeem the caps.

What did you expect anyway? What kind of pomp and circumstance could be had with a promotion like this? Apple has had no shows to say, "The promotion is going very well," and the promotion hasn't ended yet. What else do you want? It's not like all the big celebrities in Hollywood are going to go on Entertainment Tonight and proclaim what a wonderful promotion it is.

yeah i guess getting the word out was important but i mean ugh that still 99million dollars if all of it was redeemed
  • Reply 16 of 25
    first, i'm sure pepsi paid apple for the promotion. second i agree with torifile,

even though i reddemed my free tracks my spending during the promotion was more than normal.

take it from someone who wasted, oops i mean spent his entire working life in retail......the hardest part is gettin' 'em in the front door.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i have yet to win any songs (and i havent cheated, obviously) wanna be a pal and send me a pm with a code? \
  • Reply 18 of 25
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Read folks! Pepsi paid Apple 99¢ for every song redeemed. Apple lost no money on the deal. They gained money.

There is no downside. Where is all this FUD coming from?

Quote:

From the Official Rules

13. SPONSOR:
    This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc., is not a sponsor of this promotion.

• Reply 19 of 25
    I did get a Pepsi one day, a month ago (the Coke machine beside it was completely sold out, so I thought I'd get a Pepsi). Saw the yellow lid when it dropped, took it off and BAM. First-time winner.

I bought "Somebody to Love" by Queen.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Read folks! Pepsi paid Apple 99¢ for every song redeemed. Apple lost no money on the deal. They gained money.

There is no downside. Where is all this FUD coming from?

Where is all of this Pepsi paid Apple 99¢ stuff coming from? I would think that when you are dealing with that many songs, Apple would have offered a discount of some kind. I mean, the costs for this are lower for Apple anyway because they don't have to pay the credit card processing fees. Right? Or did I miss something?

I'm not saying that Apple isn't going to get a significant chunk of change out of this, but the $99,000,000 that PS5533 suggests is a little high, IMHO.