Bummer: Leo Laporte Leaves Tech TV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The only reason to watch the Screen Savers was Leo. He's left as he has posted the following on his website. :

Quote:

Week of April 2, 2004...

It's true, after 10 years TechTV and I have parted company. I have nothing but fond memories of the channel and its people. I'll miss coming into your living room every night more than you can know. For the complete details read my blog entry. If you're a TV network or producer looking for a talented and knowledgable host with a serious track record of success, check my resume and get in touch. Corporate bookings are also welcome. Have IFB, will travel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That is terrible. Sounds like he didn't leave on his own accord too, but then again, I didn't read the detailed blog bit yet.

Leo is techTV
  • Reply 2 of 33
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    That totally sucks.. but if you read the blog entry.. he still might come back when the G4 transition is finished.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    for my taste leo had become a little unctuous and smarmy over time. he's turning into merv griffin.

having said that he's carried TechTv on his shoulders for many years.

if G4 is smart they'll hire him back. his support for the mac platform will be missed.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I don't think G4 will hire him back. Gamers don't care about Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    G4 is gonna be different.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    i know he was leaving tss, but he was stayingh on cfh...is this a bad april fools joke?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

i know he was leaving tss, but he was stayingh on cfh...is this a bad april fools joke?

he talks about it here.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    He seemed like a nice enough guy, if a little bit technically ignorant, and he was a bit too suave for his own good. Probably the perfect mainstream tech show host, haha. I wish him the best anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I only watch techTV cause of that Sarah chick... OMG she needs to get in playboy! LOL

and you're thinking
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Looks like I gotta lot of hate mail to start writing...
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Looks like I gotta lot of hate mail to start writing...

i may be wrong but i think the amount of money leo was paid compared to the rest of the on air talent was substantial, and although he said G4 was not a reason i can imagine comcast not wanting to take his salary on.

if you watch the show enough you hear a lot of the talent "cry poor" and leo kind of threw his wealth around. jeez i mean patrick norton has what, 5 changes of wardrobe? plus they all have to live in san francisco.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Well I think tech tv is dead. the new headquaters after the merger will be in Southern California. I imagine it will be all games, no tech. And tech tv was acquired because of high cable penetration. Give it 4 months.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    ...I have never watched TechTV
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by /mandolux/

...I have never watched TechTV

I was about to say that you are missing out... but now that Leo's gone, I just don't know.

Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i may be wrong but i think the amount of money leo was paid compared to the rest of the on air talent was substantial, and although he said G4 was not a reason i can imagine comcast not wanting to take his salary on.

I think he was paid much more then the other cast members but he had been working for much longer in that respect.

~~~~~~

Anyhow, for the past 7 months I have been blessed with not having cable. Now the only TV I watch is when I'm at a friends house. Life is great without TV... The only show I miss watching is TSS, and I liked Leo more then any other host on TechTV. He was worth the money they paid...

Come to think of it... at one point with ~600 stations via digital cable, I was only watching TechTV. This phase lasted a few months...

Leo my heart goes out to you... because it is going to be hard landing another show-hosting tech job that pays what you are acustomed to. Good luck.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I think he was paid much more then the other cast members but he had been working for much longer in that respect.

i didn't mean to imply he didn't deserve more, as i said earlier he carried TechTv on his shoulders for a long time.

i think the screensavers became a better show when leo would go away and kevin rose would take his place. the show moved along faster and the humor became a bit edgier. it just seemed like everyone else on the show was prepared and leo felt he could "walk" through the shows. maybe this was because of his workload.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Do you guys remember back in the day when TechTV went by ZDTV, this was at least 5-6 years ago... That's when I first got addicted, but after the transition to TechTV, it never seemed the same...
  • Reply 17 of 33
    God I was so glad that he took back CFH from Chris... that guy was a twat. He was just an average consumer type that could not do anything more then plug sharware Windows software. The odd time that Bret would do something on Macs was interesting but that was it.

Anyhow.

He still has his radio show, too bad I don't get it here.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    you can listen online!

plus he posts streams of his shows on his site
  • Reply 19 of 33
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well I'll miss Leo, he was the most likeable guy on the network.

Oh well, I stopped watching TTV 2 years ago so...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Hmm, well, although they do once in a while have a good computer tip or tech interview, I've always thought those TechTV folks are pretty bad actors/acresses. I guess they're just computer NERDS/GEEKS