The Obligatory 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 221 of 249
    Yeah! The Cup is coming home!

*InactionMan Punches stranger in the face*

Go Flames Go! Whooooooo!

*InactionMan Throws burning trash can at BuonRotto*

Yeaaaaah! Stanely's coming home! STANELY IS COMING HOME!!

*InactionMan Runs in circles till he passes out*
  • Reply 222 of 249
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I can't fucking believe it. WOO HOO!!!

Seriously, you have no idea how happy this makes me. I've been a diehard Flames fan since I can remember... this is just unbelievable. I feel like a kid at Chrismas.

They've taken out 3 division champions so far. Canucks (Northwest Division Champs), Red Wings (Central Division Champs), and now the Sharks (Pacific Division Champs). Pretty freakin' impressive.

Bring on the Flyers!

• Reply 223 of 249
    gorebuggorebug Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Yeah! The Cup is coming home!

*InactionMan Punches stranger in the face*

Go Flames Go! Whooooooo!

*InactionMan Throws burning trash can at BuonRotto*

Yeaaaaah! Stanely's coming home! STANELY IS COMING HOME!!

*InactionMan Runs in circles till he passes out*

Gorebug lifts shirt to show off the pointy fat bags.

(too bad i'm a man)
  • Reply 224 of 249
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, as the token San Jose fan, I offer my congratulations.

This is now the time that I embrace the fact that I actually have more Canadian than American relatives. Bandwagon, here I come!
  • Reply 225 of 249
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Well I was at game 6 (flyers vs lightning) what a game to be at I couldn't believe it when Primeau scored with a minute and a half left in the third to tie it up.

The crowd went nuts I couldn't hear myself think!!!!

If we can play game seven like we played the overtime period then Murbot will have a hard time on his hands... heheheheh because the flyers are coming!!!
  • Reply 226 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It will be interesting to see how a rather young and inexperienced team in Tampa will respond in this game 7. They almost lost the lead in game 5, they did lose it in game 6 simply because they're not used to the mindset of closing the deal in the palyoffs. I wouldn't be surprised ot see them take an early lead, but they'll have to protect it much better. If they don't take an early lead, who knows how it will affect them. -- wil they try too hard and lose focus, or will they see it as a more approachable and familiar task to handle?
  • Reply 227 of 249
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    If anyone knows who Tampa Bay was playing in Game 7, let me know. I'm not sure what team that was
  • Reply 228 of 249
    The Flyers started out well. Ironically, the Bolts had to withstand a 10 minute flurry in their end to start a home game. But a few minutes before Tampa's second goal, they started to skate the puck in, and Tampa Bay stood them up rather well the rest of the game. There were times in the third when the Flyers' to line did a decent job cycling the puck down low, but it wasn't consistent enough. In the last few minutes, there was way too little of that because players tried to take it upon themselves to break in for the game tying goal. That's the weakness of Philly's offense: it takes a lot of time to generate goals, so late in the game, the clock either runs out on them or they throw out their system, where they aren't as good. I think the Bolts were a little lucky that the score wasn't tied in the third though. They sort of sat on the lead for a time, just clearing the puck to center ice. I think the line changes were a little too quick for that reason. They picked it up in the end though, managed to light a fire under their own butts.

The way it basically played out was this: Tampa was nervous to begin with, Philly was nervous to end with. The first period for the Bolts was them staring at their skates, taking too long to make decisions, sort of standing still because they were intimidated by the situation. Passes were behind their forwards, their defensemen collapsed too easily, etc. Once they got that first goal though, and especially in the last half of the game, Philly was too scared of losing to get an aggressive forecheck really going. The idea of losing again in the conference finals definitely minf***ed them. It's like the old Cleveland Browns that kept losing in the AFC title games to Denver. Those players just couldn't get over the mental hurdle of winning at that point because they were too preoccupied with not losing. At some point, that stigma will always be there for certain players in that situation on a given team. But that could be said about their play against the Senators and the Devils before too, and they got over their hang-ups with them. Maybe next year, Philly can get past this hang-up too.

Tampa played one of their best games defensively though. I thought at times they looked more like Philly than Philly. I saw these teams play earlier in the year, and that's how Tampa won: by beating the Flyers at their own game. The Bolts were patient on D, took opportunities on turnovers, got in front of the net and took advantage of offensive zone face-offs.

So Bolts vs. Flames for the Cup! I'm curious how these teams will match up. They can play similarly. I think it's going to be a long series with them feeling each other out a lot. Trying to be more defensive early on and create goals off of turnovers. I think at times, especially when a team is down, that they will go end to end a lot. I think Iginla is going to be trouble for the Bolts like Primeau was. St. Louis is just such a great workhorse that along with Lecavalier, I wonder who will be paired up against them, and how this will play out in Tampa Bay home games. I think that on paper Tampa Bay has a deeper team. but it's a toss up in my head. Should be fun.
  • Reply 229 of 249
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Gonna be one helluva series I think. Really looking forward to it, but already dreading the off-season. ack! Although, the draft should be fun for the Pens faithful among us. We should be a solid young team next year. Seeing what the Flames have done gives me hope the next couple of years could be better than expected, even if we don't make the playoffs.
  • Reply 230 of 249
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I'm picking Tampa Bay in 6. They're very similar to the Flames in speed, but have more playmaking talent. Kiprusoff and Khabibulin cancel each other out. Looking forward to Hockey Night in Canada's broadcast from Calgary--I love when a town goes nuts for its team.
  • Reply 231 of 249
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    The Flames are coming in the finals as the underdogs here, but really, only on paper. Watching Calgary play in the postseason, and their win over San Jose (who plays a style much like Tampa Bay)... I think they're going to take it. I honestly think Calgary simply wants it more, but it'll be a good long series for sure.

C.
  • Reply 232 of 249
    The latest standings for your amusement:

After three rounds:

scottiB: 165

CuriousBurb: 141

BuonRotto: 140

InactionMan: 132

Rageous: 132

Cam'rom: 132

Chinney: 128

Willoughby: 123

Moogs: 108 (ack!)
  • Reply 233 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    congrats to scottiB

nobody can catch him for points no matter who wins the cup

well played, dude.
  • Reply 234 of 249
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Thanks, but I was luckier than anything: 3 of my first round wins went to 7 games, and twice the lower seed won.
  • Reply 235 of 249
    Well, a few stupid penalties, but give it up for Calgary! Three more to go, and the cup comes home, baby!!!

-John
  • Reply 236 of 249
    T-minus three hours and counting...

...I'm already dreading the end of the season. Bettman has already started the "we're not going to budge on cost-certainty" posturing. The dreaded lockout looms large. He wouldn't even acknowledge a question about the possibility of training camps if there was no new agreement by that time (which is a few weeks prior to September 15 I think).

Next winter might suck badly for those of us who are NHL Center Ice junkies, that is if this whole mess isn't cleared up this summer.
  • Reply 237 of 249
    Enough politics... this thread should never leave page 1, damnit!

One more W for the Flames and Canada will have their beloved Cup once again! Saturday night is going to be every bit as exciting a game as last night's I have a feeling... although now the dread of the off-season is truly setting in. At least Six Feet Under starts next Sunday.

• Reply 238 of 249
    I can't decide if Calgary is playing better as a team or if Iginla is just willing the rest of his players to win.
  • Reply 239 of 249
    Iginla has a tremendous will to win, and you can't help but have that be a bit contagious on the bench. Everyone still has to will themselves to skate hard, finish their checks and be aggressive, but I'm sure his leadership motivates them to be that much better. We might be witnessing the passing of a torch... from Peter Foresberg to Mr. Iginla... especially if Peter signs with his Swedish club next year (like Salo just did with MoDo).

I really can't think of a better all-around player at this moment. He's responsible in his own end, he is fearless in the corners, he fights when he has to, skates like the wind and has a wicked slap-shot and snap-shot.
  • Reply 240 of 249
    I'm just thinking of how I like to go on about how hockey is a true team sport unlike other major sprots (and minor ones ) where the team concept goes farther than the great individual. But I can't tell if Calgary is this team where the whole is great than the sum of its parts or if Iginla is that Jordan-like individual who makes everyone around him look good and basiclaly carries his team on his back. They all have a great work ethic, but it seems where Iginla goes, so do the rest of the Flames.

With the Bolts' backs against the wall, we'll see if St. Louis, Lacavalier or Andrewchuk (sp?) can will their team back in it. I think they can, but I'm not sure if the first two are quite at the same level as Iginla yet. Maybe they're still a lttle young for that last push over the top.