Big Updates on 4/6/04

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Would that be 4th of June, or 6th of April? Some of us doesnt live in the US u know...

Yeah, but Apple is an American-based company and the poster above is - I'm assuming - from America. It probably didn't cross his mind to take the entire ****ing planet into account when posting the date.

Most of us don't.

If were were talking about a new BMW factory opening or some exhibit at the Louvre, you can post the date in whatever way you're accustomed to and us Yanks would account for that and figure it out and probably not get the least torqued up over it.

No biggie.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Hell, stick some sort of NAB-related graphic up there. Put the iPod minis back. Put the G5 Xserve and rotate all the three, even! But the G5? By itself? For three weeks?

pscates: I'm sure the soccer moms of the world (including the ones at IKEA on Saturdays) are happy that you didn't cut off your left nut too.

Seriously, my fear is that the PowerMac G5 is still on Apple's main page because there's plenty of them left to sell. The supply of G5s is higher than demand for them. Sure, it would be nice to see the iPod minis up there. But demand for iPod minis far outstrips supply, so there's no point in putting them up and increasing demand even more. \

Escher
  • Reply 43 of 70
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The attempt to market the G5 right now, is probably in vein, it is too old and still the same price so nobody would or should buy it at this point in time.\
  • Reply 44 of 70
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tikiman

... Given that this is the first time doing this kind of digging, it will be interesting to see what the characteristics of an Apple product "about to be updated" are. ...

Last year when we were all expecting the 15" Alubook, somebody was giving us numbers like these, and we all watched them go down as the months crept by... down, down, all the way to zero... and then it was another month after that when it finally appeared.

Based on that concept, we aren't going to see any updates for a long time.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Last year when we were all expecting the 15" Alubook, somebody was giving us numbers like these, and we all watched them go down as the months crept by... down, down, all the way to zero... and then it was another month after that when it finally appeared.

Based on that concept, we aren't going to see any updates for a long time.

If, by a long time you mean WWDC.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm REALLY glad I didn't make any sort of foolish "if that G5 graphic is there in three weeks, I'll cut off my left nut" wagers...

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that thing is still there! I thought SURELY last Tuesday it would be replaced. Then another whole week, thinking "okay, Tuesday the 6th...".

Nope.

What the hell? At least ROTATE some things. I just think it's supremely idiotic to give exclusive, static front page status to 10-month-old hardware that probably nobody is buying.

I don't get it...

Hell, stick some sort of NAB-related graphic up there. Put the iPod minis back. Put the G5 Xserve and rotate all the three, even! But the G5? By itself? For three weeks? Ugh...what gives? Someone explain that to me. May as well put the 15" iMac up there or the iSight. Or the Panther box. They're all about equally as relevant or timely.

\

The thing is pscates, only us Macheads waiting for new product releases, have Apple.com setup as our homepage. That's why it seems like an eternity.

I'd love to see them rotate it as well, just to give the perception of change and that they acknowledge us!

The normal Joe, probably hits Apple's site once or twice a month. Not enough to register any tiresome look.

• Reply 47 of 70
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Average Joe hits Apple's frontpage every 5-6 years or so. Maybe.

Brought in through Quiktime, for the trailers or something.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Yeah, that's a good point, Satchmo. You're probably right.

Well then, they should have a super-secret "iZealot" front page that idiots like us can go to and stuff is rotated every 14 seconds or so, just for our amusement and reassurance that the company isn't in a coma. And so I won't have to bitch about it anymore.

http://www.apple.com/geek

I don't know, now that I think about it: with all this iPod/iTunes/iTMS stuff going on, I'm imagining quite a few "non Mac-geek" types are probably visiting Apple now more than ever. THEY'RE probably even saying "okay, enough with the G5 graphic already!!!"

• Reply 49 of 70
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BZ

More wood on the fire...

Haha...but croquer is a crock o' shit.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

There is much buzz surrounding product line updates in the reatil channel on or around 4/6/04. Any predcitions. Just watch you will see.

Wow, this was quite an update. Nemesis, you da man
  • Reply 51 of 70
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

The attempt to market the G5 right now, is probably in vein, it is too old and still the same price so nobody would or should buy it at this point in time.\

<Grammar Police>Vain, not vein unless you are talking about the bleeding kind.</Grammar Police>

At least we didn't have to get into a duel about dual, which is my favorite pet peeve.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Another Tuesday, another rumor bit the dust!
  • Reply 53 of 70
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Most Europeans wouldn't use slashes, either....so they know what he's talking about.

Yes, things are strange. Either something huge is brewing......or else Apple is making enough money with the products as they are and doesn't want to change immediately.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

<Grammar Police>Vain, not vein unless you are talking about the bleeding kind.</Grammar Police>

At least we didn't have to get into a duel about dual, which is my favorite pet peeve.

actually this was rather an orthographic error, and not a grammar mistake. 8)
  • Reply 55 of 70
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Haha...but croquer is a crock o' shit.

Quite probably, but you forget perhaps that they predicted correctly the last security update, a la Think Secret. This makes me think they have indeed some sources, since no one else talked about this update.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

actually this was rather an orthographic error, and not a grammar mistake. 8)

[Waving of hand] <Thought Police>Ignore that post, we don't need corrections on this board</Thought Police>
  • Reply 57 of 70
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I assume the 4th of June as its now the 7th of April and nothings happened.

Either that or 3004.

Dobby.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    I did a Powerbook 17" supply check at the Seattle area Compusa's. They are all out of them. Two stores very "limited" quantites.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Quite probably, but you forget perhaps that they predicted correctly the last security update, a la Think Secret. This makes me think they have indeed some sources, since no one else talked about this update.

It's been a little easier to predict security updates and minor software updates than hardware updates in the past 5 years.

I don't think many rumor sites bother predicting security updates.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Sorry, guys...I couldn't help myself.