The new USA Military Draft......

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Faust9:

Maybe you can answer this. It's a question I've had for a while but have been unable to answer: does the miilitary do its PR/advertising in-house, or does the DOD contract it all out? I ask because the commercials for the past few years have gotten MUCH better than they used to be ("be all that you can be"??), and now that they're employing multiple forms of media (the by all accounts very good video game).

Cheers

Scott

Military advertising is farmer out. The military has been getting Hollywood directors and writers to make the commercials for a couple of years now. I'm sure if you dig around on google you can find more informatio. I'd do it but I have a headache...
  • Reply 22 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Military advertising is farmer out. The military has been getting Hollywood directors and writers to make the commercials for a couple of years now. I'm sure if you dig around on google you can find more informatio. I'd do it but I have a headache...

That's what I had figured. I ask because a few years ago (when the Army had a new ad campaign) one of my students got really interested in this question, and at the time we were unable to find much on it even in the major advertising journals.

Sorry to hear you have a headache!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Sorry, I wont be dying for corporations. If you want to take your life for CEOs and politicians then I wont have any sympathy.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    ftwftw Posts: 3member
    Using the info at http://www.bastapictures.com and doing a lot more reading, I'm a little weirded out by the whole thing

I really gotta tell you...It seems like one of those things that will never happen, but I get this creepy feeling it will.

Spread The Word!

Raise Awareness!
  • Reply 25 of 37
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea that's gonna happen Is this thread a joke I'm not getting?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Kerry supports the draft? I assume that by "National Service" he means a compulsory stretch in the military?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in598867.shtml
  • Reply 27 of 37
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Kerry supports the draft? I assume that by "National Service" he means a compulsory stretch in the military?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in598867.shtml

No, he doesn't mean compulsory service in the military. What Kerry is proposing is no more a requirement than Bush's proposed Freedom Corps. It campaign chatter--building a better America thing.

Jeez people. Of all the things to worry about today, tomorrow or next week this is not it.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

It's on its way....

Damn, I knew I should have invested in real estate in Canada.

Seriously though, what age is considered "too" old? I'm 27, only child, married w/ no kids.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    They could set it to whatever ages they want, but I believe that it's 18-25 now.....
  • Reply 30 of 37
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    FUD
  • Reply 31 of 37
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

FUD

DOBBER
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Right now, those being sent to the most dangerous places are kids, many of color, mostly working class, many who only joined the military because they couldn't get jobs. One positive thing about the draft would be to level the playing field somewhat. Kids from middle class and wealthy families would get their chance to fight for our corporations, or perhaps our country . Would that not be a good thing?

from what i can tell, a lot the people join to pay for college, like Jessica Lynch
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

from what i can tell, a lot the people join to pay for college, like Jessica Lynch

Except that the military pays squat unless you go into obscure areas which have little to no civilian/industry experience crossover value. You'd be better off going to a state school with full-time summer jobs and work study during fall/spring semesters. If you're really smart, you should have scholarships.

The military preys on minorities who don't know any better (due to institutionalized racism and hypersegregation) by giving them a sense of hope/independence/dreams of college.

http://www.objector.org/before-you-e...reallyget.html
  • Reply 34 of 37
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Even though I'm not 18 yet and that you don't have a choice were you go when you are drafted. If I was drafted I would hope to be a fighter jet pilot for the air force or navy.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Except that the military pays squat unless you go into obscure areas .... If you're really smart, you should have scholarships. ... The military preys on minorities ...

If you are trying to use the linked article to justify your statements, you are guilty of either not understanding what was said or misinterpreting to prove your point.

Actually, the higher paying jobs are those that require skills that do cross over to industry.

You have no statistics to back up your "military preys on minorities". As a recruiter in California in the early 1990s, minority recruiting was low enough that minorities were targeted because their numbers were not representative. Statisitics at a time when there was a draft cannot be compared with the composition of the military in "all-volunteer" mode. The Marines require a high school diploma and while other services do not necessarily require a diploma, the number of recruits that are accepted without diplomas is very limited (usually occuring in small numbers at the end of the month).

Having said that, your linked article could have pointed out some other reasons that many veterans do not get to use their benefits. One is that in order to use the benefits, one must have a high school diploma (not just a GED). Another is that the benefits must be used within 10 years of discharge. It is true that benefits are generally paid monthly (although without going into detail, they can be received all at once per quarter or semester). They are paid at a half-rate, three-quarters rate, or full rate, depending on the class load, so many students might require more than four years to collect the full amount. Actually, the benefit is divided over 36 months, not four years. so if some one goes to school full time throughout the year, they "could" get the full amount in three years (not to say that anyone actually does that).

The statement in the linked article about obscure jobs referred to those for which the Army/Navy College Fund are offered (i.e., we'll offer you expanded benefits if you accept a job that might make you cannon fodder). Those that accept the A/N College Fund are not given "advanced training" (including such specialties as a cook) until after they fulfill the obligation incurred by signing up for the A/N College Fund.

Additionally, there are benefits that service members can use while in the service that are independent of their veterans' benefits.

Yes, most people do not take advantage of their veterans' benefits. Yes, people are sold on programs for which they never take advantage. The facts used to criticize (or praise) the military stand on their own and don't need anyone's spin or political agenda mixed in to obscure the situation.

P.S. Who said you have to be really smart to get scholarships?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Even though I'm not 18 yet and that you don't have a choice were you go when you are drafted. If I was drafted I would hope to be a fighter jet pilot for the air force or navy.

Unfortunately, people who are drafted go into the army. During Vietnam, some people would avoid infantry duty by enlisting in the Navy or the Air Force before being drafted.

The enlisted route is an unlikely way to become a jet fighter pilot (in spite of what some unscrupulous recruiters might have you believe). Pilots have four year college degrees (except for Army warrant officer helicopter pilots). There is some obscure program for Navy enlisted to get into a pilot program (at least there used to be), but I believe you'd have to be enlisted for at least five years before applying.