growing up - getting a car

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Hondas are very overpriced. Explore your options, do research. The last thing we need is another boring Civic on the road with a driver who paid too much.

Proud 2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX driver I really enjoy it coming from my last car...I mean van.

CONGRATS FELLOWS. I AM SO JEALOUS <3
  • Reply 42 of 146
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I would buy a 2001. The steepest depreciation is in the first three years, so it just makes the most sense, value-wise. Have you bought consumer report's car magazine? Check your library for the 2001 issue, pick out your favorite car(s) under a certain price and go test drive some used ones, preferably from individuals and then inspected by a mechanic. According to fool, cars lose 20% of their value the first year, 15% the second, and 13% the third year.

There is no financial argument for buying new. And, uh, yeah.
  • Reply 43 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Anyone have advice on Nissan and Mazda?

The 2000-2002 models were very week. The Mazda6, introduced in 2003, is an awesome car if you are considering a Camry-size sedan...i would HIGHLY recommend test-driving one. The Protege is consistently rated very well, too.

Don't know much about Nissan. I know they tend to be the tail of the Japanese reliability pack, but that is a very high standard.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I had a nissan pickup from 92 before I got this corolla, I kind of miss , but alas 240,000 miles, 10 years later you get the idea, plus I mean they don't have a car as cool as the corolla, i mean c'mon the sentra?

Seriously dude, test drive a regular 4 cylinder, and then a v6. Think corolla!!!, 100$ dude hehe.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am going to test drive a Corolla. The guy at Charles Maund was pushing the 2k4 at $13,9

I am well aware of the depreciation, though I did not know those percentages. The Camry I drove sold originally for $28k, now it is $17,9. $10k+ in one year... yikes. I'm sure the original owner did not eat all of that, but it happened. Damn that car was nice. I know I could get it if I pushed, but I do not feel like it is worth the pushing.

The V6 loses 4mpg to the 4-cyl.

The dealer pissed me off badmouthing Hondas, though, after I mentioned everything else I was looking at. I never thought knocking the other guy's product was good strategy.
  • Reply 46 of 146
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    what are vw jetta's going for?
  • Reply 47 of 146
    One of the guys was trying to get me into a 2k3 Jetta with about 15k miles for $12,8.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    This is actually the car I test drove. sticker says $20,9, the guy on the lot says $17,9.

The Internet is a weird thing. I was sitting in that car at about 4:30.
  • Reply 49 of 146
    Quote:

I am going to test drive a Corolla. The guy at Charles Maund was pushing the 2k4 at $13,9

I test drove a pontiac vibe last year and really liked it. The vibe and toyota matrix are built in the same factory, both with a corrolla engine, so they are both toyotas, basically. However, because pontiac doesn't carry the same resale value as toyota, you can probably find a good deal on a 2003 vibe with many features. here is one at autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=69

13,900 corrolla would be nice, but don't forget about air conditioning and such
  • Reply 50 of 146
    The one he was showing me for that price had A/C and all that stuff. CD player, power windows, engine, steering wheel.
  • Reply 51 of 146
    wow, an actual steering wheel?
  • Reply 52 of 146
    Hell yeah, we do it classy here in Texas.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

[I own two Jeep Cherokee's and everyone knows I love them to death. They are very inexpensive to own as far as an SUV goes.

But my wife owns an Accord and I would buy another in a second. [/B]

Jeez, trumpt, are you sure we aren't related? I've got the '95 Cherokee Sport, my wife has the '94 Accord. (Still love my '76 Cherokee I had in high school the most though. That thing was a BEAST.)
  • Reply 54 of 146
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

I am well aware of the depreciation, though I did not know those percentages. The Camry I drove sold originally for $28k, now it is $17,9. $10k+ in one year... yikes. I'm sure the original owner did not eat all of that, but it happened. Damn that car was nice. I know I could get it if I pushed, but I do not feel like it is worth the pushing.

The V6 loses 4mpg to the 4-cyl.

The dealer pissed me off badmouthing Hondas, though, after I mentioned everything else I was looking at. I never thought knocking the other guy's product was good strategy.

I did good on my trade in value for the 2003 Dodge Ram truck... The sticker when I bought it was about $28,000 Dodge had a $7,500 factory rebate at the time, I paid $21,000 for it.

The acura dealer came back after looking at my truck with an offering price of $20,000 for the truck!!!!!!!

I paid $21,000 for it drive it a full year and 19,000 miles later it only is going to lose $1,000 of value!!!!

How did Howard Dean do it? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHRRRRRR

Not only did I get more than could have expected for the truck trade in as KBB.com (Kelly blue book) had my truck "trade in value" at about $18,400 and they are giving me $20,000 for it... BUT

They also came way off MSRP sticker for the S Type..

The S Type is about MSRP 23,900 and I am paying $ 22,000 for it!

Yip yip yip YEAH!!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 55 of 146
    how do you do it fellows?
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

how do you do it fellows?

I just don't know

Not only that, my insurance is cheaper on this car and I will be getting a rebate check in the mail for the difference. As well I will buy half as many gallons of gas per week / month / year as this car gets twice the fuel milage as the truck

Yep I am pretty happy about it all

Fellows
  • Reply 57 of 146
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well, speaking as a Volvo wagon driver, I must say this:

I don't care what car you get, get Volvo seats installed. My experience with a wide range of car seats has lead me to believe that the ultimate car seat for anyone's a$$ is a Volvo car seat.

As for the cars themselves, I love em. If you can find one, and they are rare indeed, get a Volvo 850 T5-R. I don't know when they were discontinued, but man is that a sweet machine running ~240 HP, and until the SRT-5 it was the fastest stock production FWD car in the world. But the T-5R is my fantasy so...

I'd look into slightly used WRXs, 2000 Nissan Maximas, (You may be able to find) used Volvo S-60s, and Accords if ya like to go with the flow.

<More Volvo fanboyism> The Volvo/Porsche inline 5 engine: Fuel economy of a 4 cylinder with the power of a V-6. <End fanboyism>
  • Reply 58 of 146
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Nonetheless, Volvo's Turbo Wagon is a "haulin"' set of wheels. You could understand its 0-60 mph in 7.4 (6.4 with a T5-R) seconds time if a five-speed manual gearbox was on board, but a four-speed automatic is the only way this thing comes.

In addition, the seven cars that were faster were two or four passenger sports cars. And with the exception of the Mazda RX-7's turbo twin-rotary engine, all were six or eight-cylinder powerplants that were bigger than the 850's 2.3-liter five-cylinder engine.

The Turbowagon is a derivative of the Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan, with ensuing body modifications to make it a station wagon. With the squared- off back end of a wagon creating what must be considerable air drag, it is not hard to visualize what the heart of this vehicle is doing in the way of developing power.

The engine is an in-line 5 that carries twin-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. The 2.3-liter engine is actually 2,319 cubic centimeters, or 141.4-cubic inches, not exactly monster size when compared to the 350-cubic inch V-8s the wagon was up against.

Volvo rates the engine at 222-horsepower. According to Lamon, a limited-edition T5R model is rated at 240-horsepower, "and by making a little change in a (computer) chip it goes to 270 (horsepower)."

From cars.com

• Reply 59 of 146
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

The only reason to get a hybrid right now is as a political statement, unless of course the hybrid offers something more than increased mpg.

Doing one's part for a freaking clean environment. Not everything is about money you know.

For the record, I drive a Honda Insight. I can out-acclerate anything almost everything on the road.

Groverat, please consider a hybrid. Test drive a Prius, a Civic hybrid or an Insight. You'll love the fuel economy, acceleration/responsiveness and utter quiteness.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Doing one's part for a freaking clean environment. Not everything is about money you know.

For the record, I drive a Honda Insight. I can out-acclerate anything almost everything on the road.

I will not get the fuel milage you get but I am happy the Acura RSX Type S is a LEV vehicle.

I agree more people need to drive cleaner cars.

Have to race ya someday

Fellows