Real world pics of iPod minis?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'd like to purchase an iPod mini and I can't decide the color. There are no Apple stores near me (8+ hour drive).

Does anyone have any real world pictures of any of the iPod minis? I'd like to see the different colors in normal lighting and not the pristine pictures on the Apple website so that I can see what they look like in everyday life. The color of some devices can be so different once you get your hands on them.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    To partly answer my question, here are two pics of the gold one:

http://www.powerpage.org/images/appl...s/DSC00433.htm

http://www.powerpage.org/images/appl...s/DSC00438.htm

I'm mostly interested in the silver, green and pink ones (I know, I know).
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Blue mini pics:

http://www.how2mac.com/gallery/index...lbum=iPod+mini

And from the "Where's all the iPod minis" thread, link from Nico for the silver:

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/test/ipodminic/
  • Reply 3 of 26
    niconico Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

And from the "Where's all the iPod minis" thread, link from Nico for the silver:

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/test/ipodminic/

Thanks MCQ, you're faster then me

Nico
  • Reply 4 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, the gold one actually doesn't look as bad as I've imagined. It's true...the beauty shots on Apple's site NEVER do the products justice, and this is just another example in a long line of that.

The toilet seat iBooks actually looked BETTER in the photos than in real life, particularly the tangerine (in the famous "pup tent" shot, the orange arc of color spanning the iBook was made to look as gel-like, glossy and lickable as the orange surfaces of the iMac DV...yet in real life, it was a matte-finished panel sporting an unfortunate shade of orange that didn't exist in nature, except perhaps on discarded 30-year-old traffic cones lying in a landfill somewhere. Quite a shock to this fella!).

However, the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs looked MUCH nicer in person than in the official pics. So you never can tell, I guess.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i promise you the minis look different in person than in ANY picture. for example, the blue is much more of an aqua than i could have imagined. go to an apple retail store.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    No photo can properly show the color due to the fact that the aluminum reflects light to some extent in any photograph. They look much "richer" in person. I have a green one.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Thank you for the pics. They are at least giving me an idea of what they may look like in person. The silver one looks pretty cool. The gold one looks better than I thought, I'm fairly indifferent about the blue one (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone.)

If anyone has shots of the green and pink ones, I'd be very grateful if you could post them. Or if you can't host them anywhere and you email them to me, I'll be happy to post them.

Again, thank you.

PS: If I could go to an Apple Store, I would. But unless I fly somewhere, I don't have access to one. Plus it doesn't look like there are any iPod minis in stock anywhere anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David R

Plus it doesn't look like there are any iPod minis in stock anywhere anyway.

Well, my local Apple Store (Tyson's Corner, VA) has iPod mini display models in all of the colors. I didn't ask whether they had any in stock for fear that I would break down and buy one.

Unlike the white iPods, the minis actually fit in your hand. They're super ergonomic. The hardware click works even better than I imagined. I don't mind a trackpad (no moving parts) wheel. But buttons absolutely need mechanical feedback. To me, the mechanical buttons are the biggest advantage of the iPod minis, even more so than the smaller size and cooler looks.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Here are pics of my green mini.

Imo Green is the best.

Silver is cool but is boring and everyone will have it. Pink is for girls, gold is a bit overdone, blue is not bad actually.

I would say blue and green are best

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Misc/Mini%20Pics/
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Thank you so much! It's amazing how much the color varies depending on how light hits it.

Now if anyone can own up to admit that they have pics of a pink iPod, I'd be able to make my decision. Pink is the new black I just like it because it's different.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by David R

Thank you so much! It's amazing how much the color varies depending on how light hits it.

Now if anyone can own up to admit that they have pics of a pink iPod, I'd be able to make my decision. Pink is the new black I just like it because it's different.

Actually, I've seen the pink one and I have to say it looks pretty nice. If they didn't have greed I would probably have gotten pink.

It shouldn't be a girl colour because what is to define colours as girly anyway? Lavender for example is one of my favourite colours.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Unlike the white iPods, the minis actually fit in your hand.

Just how small are your hands?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Lavender for example is one of my favourite colours.

Yes, and it's apparent since you're looking at the Lorna's Bridal website. Kind of an overload of pink there.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I read an article shortly after the release of the mini that said the silver is the natural color and the other ones would fade over time if used in bright sunlight.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I read an article shortly after the release of the mini that said the silver is the natural color and the other ones would fade over time if used in bright sunlight.

would it fade to silver?

man, that would be kinda cool actually, wouldn't mind it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Wrong.

They are anodized, which is an entirely different process. The color actually fuses with the aluminium, and can't be brought off - except you scratch the surface away?duh. The color thickness is only about 20 µm (this is the anodized coat). But it's actually see-through, and that's why it keeps looking shiny. But it doesn't fade.

Silver is not the natural color of aluminium, at least not that silver they used on the iPod mini. They're all anodized.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Wrong.

They are anodized, which is an entirely different process. The color actually fuses with the aluminium, and can't be brought off - except you scratch the surface away?duh. The color thickness is only about 20 µm (this is the anodized coat). But it's actually see-through, and that's why it keeps looking shiny. But it doesn't fade.

Silver is not the natural color of aluminium, at least not that silver they used on the iPod mini. They're all anodized.

I would definitely agree. Moreover, Aluminium oxidises really easily and really fast, like instantaneously, no kidding. The aluminium oxide which is transparent keeps it from oxidising more but when you rub that off, it ill continue to oxidise.

My question is how strong the anodisation is.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    It seems as you're getting some things confused, mainly oxidation and anodization.

So? Metallurgic' 101 for Aluminium:

Aluminium is a silver-white metal with roughly one third the density of steel. If exposed to air, it becomes covered with a corrosion layer, although that layer isn't resistant against acids and caustic solutions.

Aluminium in pure form is not usable for any technical applications. Small amounts of alloy enhance it and bring a rise in tensile strength and hardens.

Through electro-chemical anodization, very dense and corrosion resistant oxide coatings are made with the part itself. These can be dyed with any color.

Now, this process works as follows: The part, which is made from aluminium, is switched in a sulfuric acid electrolysis bath as anode. At the aluminum part, atomic oxygen separates, which reacts with the outer zone to a close Al2O3-layer. Now, this is a layer which is hard and very strong, very corrosion resistant and completely joined with the original part. So called inseparable. The layer itself is about 20µm thick, and pretty strong.

However, the anodization (electro-chemical anodization) is inseparable from the original part. Except you scratch it off, but in that case you'd also be scratching off a lot of aluminium, and the original layer would be seen again. And I said 'scratched' off, because that's what you'd need to do in order to get your iPod mini in another color. You could also call it damaging.

Any questions?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    so are those old aluminium windows anodised? (they look yellowish)
  • Reply 20 of 26
    What windows? On the iPod? Please specify.