This Tuesdays Prediction:

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

You all bashed me when I said months ago that Apple would wait for WWDC before updating PowerMacs, but all I heard was incremental update, incremental update, and there is no way Apple would go from 2.GHz straight to 3GHz,,and they needed an update in between. It's just not going to happen.

Honestly... What do you think now?

Do you really think they will speed bump them, and then release faster ones in 2 months?

I was probably one of those who bashed

I think just what the AI article says... "something has gone terribly wrong". Now they must resort to plan b. If they announce anything below dual 2.8ghz then there will be a problem. If they announce something big to give a wow factor then they will recover from this. Apple's sales on Powermacs are HURTING very badly right now. No one wants to buy them because they KNOW they will be outdated very shortly. Who wants to pay 3k for outdated hardware?

The only part that doesn't make sense to me is...

If they did hit a problem in manufacturing... why didn't they lower prices on existing PowerMacs? Its pointless to keep them the same price when everyone KNOWS they will drop 1/2 price as soon as its pulled out of the box!

Just a thought.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Its been almost a year since these G5's were introduced. What I wish Apple

would do is after 6 months of the same product for sale, lower the price.

The deals they offer where you have to spend an additional few thousand dollars to save 500 is not appealing to me. I'd rather see todays dual G5 2Ghz going for 2699 instead of 2999.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

...Apple's sales on Powermacs are HURTING very badly right now. No one wants to buy them because they KNOW they will be outdated very shortly. Who wants to pay 3k for outdated hardware?

How do you know this? We'll find out with the quarterly report this week. I suspect Power Mac sales haven't been all that bad, but you might be right.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

How do you know this? We'll find out with the quarterly report this week. I suspect Power Mac sales haven't been all that bad, but you might be right.

I'm too lazy to look it up. But it was on Macnn about a month ago... maybe less actually. PM sales are down to about 200k units a quarter... which is extremely low compared to other powermac units a quarter.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I'm too lazy to look it up. But it was on Macnn about a month ago... maybe less actually. PM sales are down to about 200k units a quarter... which is extremely low compared to other powermac units a quarter.

If Apple reports sales of 200,000, it means sales are holding steady. They reported sales of 220,000 or so for the quarter after the G5 was introduced, and that included G4 towers and Xserve.

Fred Anderson said when the G5 was introduced that they did not expect to get back to the 300,000 units per quarter the Power Mac saw in its prime; some of the market has shifted to portables. He said they hoped to get back above 200,000 (in the last quarter before the G5 was introduced, the G4 towers and Xserve sold only about 125,000).
  • Reply 26 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Its been almost a year since these G5's were introduced. What I wish Apple

would do is after 6 months of the same product for sale, lower the price.

The deals they offer where you have to spend an additional few thousand dollars to save 500 is not appealing to me. I'd rather see todays dual G5 2Ghz going for 2699 instead of 2999.

Yeah, me too. Just seems that so much of their stuff - out of the gate - is a bit pricier, considering...and it never really changes. And you're right: when they DO have some sort of promo or special, it hinges on you buying a bunch of other expensive shit - that you may not even need or want - to save a few hundred bucks on something you WOULD like to have.

"Buy a Dual 2GHz G5 with a 23" Cinema Display and get $15 off an iSight!"

\

Gee, thanks...if I could AFFORD a dual 2GHz and 23" Cinema in the first place, then I'm probably not gonna give too much thought to $15.

A slight exaggeration, of course, but I do indeed wish some of their promos were a bit more straightforward and useful, with no strings or contingent upon buying an unrealistic amount of crap. How about just a nice, out-of-the-blue "Save 20% on all Apple hardware from now until midnight!" and let the chips fall...
  • Reply 27 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well that is one way to interpet the situation. The other is that the guliable have be4en taken by Apples marketing team while those with half a brain sit back to see is Apple wises up with their pricing.

Let face it folks unless you are desperate for a specific Mac application, there is little likely hood that you will shell out the money Apple is asking for. Apple needs a good health 50% price cut or 100% faster machines to really attrack people at the price point they have the PowerMac sitting at. As a PC it isn't worth its price unless you have the specific need that will allow it to pay for itself.

Apples greatest problem is that they are selling into a captive market that simply takes the next performance increase to drive sales for part of a year. Then we all watch Mac sales slip untile the next performance increase comes out. Probally would be OK if that captive market was growing but it isn't.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

• Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I'd rather see todays dual G5 2Ghz going for 2699 instead of 2999.

If Apple dropped the 2GHz to $2,699 ($2,399 edu), I would seriously consider buying now rather than waiting. For me it's not so much about having a machine that's a few hundred MHz faster; it's not wanting to drop a lot of money on a machine that, if history is any guide, will be $1,000 cheaper with the next revision.

There are only two reasons I can imagine for keeping prices where they are: sales are strong enough that Apple sees no need to drop them, or they don't want to establish a new pricing structure and have to raise the price when new machines are introduced. Well, I guess there is also the possibility that component prices are still high and Apple can't cut prices without cutting profits, which I suspect is the case with the iMac...
  • Reply 29 of 46
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

If Apple dropped the 2GHz to $2,699 ($2,399 edu), I would seriously consider buying now rather than waiting. For me it's not so much about having a machine that's a few hundred MHz faster; it's not wanting to drop a lot of money on a machine that, if history is any guide, will be $1,000 cheaper with the next revision.

There are only two reasons I can imagine for keeping prices where they are: sales are strong enough that Apple sees no need to drop them, or they don't want to establish a new pricing structure and have to raise the price when new machines are introduced. Well, I guess there is also the possibility that component prices are still high and Apple can't cut prices without cutting profits, which I suspect is the case with the iMac...

That's the same situation I'm in... I want to buy now, but prices will drop too soon. Prices must drop for me to buy, because I will suffer from guilt if 3Ghz comes and replaces the 2Ghz at WWDC or whenever, at the same price
  • Reply 30 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm certainly not an expert on pricing...but it has always been my contention that Apple has never been serious about marketshare. Profit margins remain high, yet hardware components are off the shelf and often outdated stuff every PC manufacturer uses.

For once, I'd like Anderson to just say, we're making a healthy profit and that's our main concern. Spare us any crap about market share aspirations. That will never happen under Apple's pricing strategy.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i predict this tuesday a fireball from the deepest corners of space will come down and destroy the fishkill plant. no new macs for you!
  • Reply 32 of 46
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

According to the Appleinsider front page, Apple explained to resellers that they would be updating professional products (PowerMac G5s, Displays) at WWDC at the end of June. [......] Personally I think they have planned to do it this way since January.

umm if you read the article then you know apple was aiming for a mid-march release.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    This tuesday's prediction:

Judge smails says, "You'll get nothing, and like it!"
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Is it a sign of my growing dementia that I have now taken to actually clicking through the G5 promo on apple.com to see if they have quietly changed the speeds?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Between Apple's bizarre Power Mac release schedule and this business of washing my hands 30 times a day, I will soon be certifiable!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Is it a sign of my growing dementia that I have now taken to actually clicking through the G5 promo on apple.com to see if they have quietly changed the speeds?

HAHA... I do that too
  • Reply 38 of 46
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Apple Marketing head looks at log Analyzer.

"Wow look at all the interest in our current G5s! They keep clicking through that graphic. Let's hold off on updating them for a few months."
  • Reply 39 of 46
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Prediction for Tuesday, April 13th, 2004.

Nothing changed.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

...[A]nd this business of washing my hands 30 times a day, I will soon be certifiable!

And soon thereafter, certified.

Remember to curb your compulsion to pick up the soap!