Apple is aggressively going to update soon

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

No, this is NAB! Broadcasting professionals!! I wager all three hint at updates to the Pro apps. FCP, Shake, DVDSP, Soundtrack.

AI is probably correct that an iPod will debut around the 28th.

Screed

moving pictures, sound and industry might be a catch all for al of the products

Well how about moving pictures: isight to go capture your video and audio in this mini camera with an ipod-mini sized hard drive inside. Import it into FCP/FCE/iMovie and edit and go. Target market war correspondants man on the street interviews..and the ever popular quick and dirty video stream

moving sound: the set top box for music, pictures and movies included firewire, ethernet and wi-fifor inputs and s:video, vga to output (and the RCAs to hook up your entertainment center.

moving the industry: FCP and Shake updates.

A new media organization software...like project management for your digital media (supports meta-tags). This software will also handle the transfer of your files to the set top boxes, other computers on your network, and easy project based archives. Think of typing a project name in and all of your associated FCP, FCE, iMovie, DVDSP, audio files and everything show up. You can also make a to do list and reminders to link up with mail and other apps. From here you set up security levels, trach changes, revisions and edits and assign duties. It also offers a real time preview mode so you can see what you have without launching the App. One place for quick encoding to the set top box, and compression for web or TV. Could be called iMedia or Media Closet or maybe Studio Space.

And some new hardware to complete the shiny-new experience.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    hey guys, maybe i'm crazy, but what Apple product uses a Radeon 9700Pro?!

Look here

It clearly says Mac OEM version. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 63 of 97
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Look here

The only thing I have heard is that the new rev of PowerBooks is supposed to have 9700s...?
  • Reply 64 of 97
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Look here

I think you have found a whole in Apple's update universe. The eMac is using an ATI Radeon 9200. The base configuration card for the current PowerMac is the 9600Pro.

That's probably the base card for the new G5 PowerMacs. Nice find.

The thing that's fishy about it is ATI knows Apple hates to be jumped on updates, and announcements. I think it's a sign that PowerMacs are not going to be immediately updated. I think Apple, and ATI both new that page was going up.

I'm just not totally sure why yet. The truth will reveal itself shortly. Only a few day's till NAM anyway. I cant wait!

:EDIT:

Quote:

Originally posted by machem

The only thing I have heard is that the new rev of PowerBooks is supposed to have 9700s...?

That's a thought. What a cool ass NAM announcement too. THen PowerMacs at WWDC. That would be an ideal update scenario for Apple if it were the case.

For now I'm going to go watch GHOST in the SHELL. See you guy's in a while.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Professionals aren't going to get a G5 iMac before they get a G5 PowerBook

I suspect the iMac is not a 'pro' machine, whatever its configuration is. Its design suggests mainly home/office use. However, a G5 @ 2GHz would not hurt its sales, especially if all PowerMacs go dual.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Moving Pictures - "Moving" as in "selling". New Apple Movie Store.

nah.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

It's all crap to me unless we get some kind of verification. ...

i don't want to bother you, but ... er ... it is rumor, isn't it? Some sort of intellectual stretching ...
  • Reply 68 of 97
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Look here

Sorry to disappoint, but the last rev MDD machines (the FW800 ones, not the dual-boot ones currently available) had the 9700 as a CTO option.

-s
  • Reply 69 of 97
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SPF Jeff

iMacs & iBooks may be updated as soon as in the next few weeks. They are to be updated with 7457 and 7447 processors in the range of 1 GHz and 1.25 GHz on the iBook and 1.25 GHz and 1.5GHz for the iMac. The iMac is in generic tower casing, suggesting a change in enclosure. [/B]

apple would be silly to make base imac speeds same as emac, maby 1.3 but most certinly not emac speed, they would want the emac handycaped somehow and consumers see bigger #s and ASSume that it is better.

sorry for the typeo which is now fixed - typeing fast b4 leaving for school, but i am here now so I can take my sweet time on ai
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

apple would be silly to make base imac spees same as emac, maby 1.3 but most certinly not emac speed, they would want the emac handycaped somehow and consumers see bigger #s and ASSume that it is better.

I hope you're just typing fast... If the iMac remains a G4 even in light of a new enclosure then it should be at least a 1.5 Ghz. I really expect it to be a G5 though but perhaps Apple wants to start differentiating between the pro and consumer lines with processor types again.
  • Reply 71 of 97

"5 (3.38 posts per day)"

Why does it say SPF Jeff has made five posts when he has only made three?
  • Reply 72 of 97
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I guarantee that NAB will be software only.

Those thinking there will be hardware are in fantasy land right now.

Apple did spoil my prediction of no hardware shipping this quarter by releasing a weak eMac update yesterday.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Sorry to disappoint, but the last rev MDD machines (the FW800 ones, not the dual-boot ones currently available) had the 9700 as a CTO option.

-s

I double checked, and I don't think it ever did. It was announced in Jan '03, but as of NAB '03 (April) it still hadn't shipped, and by June the MDD/FW800 was EOL'd. The G5's were announced (no 9700) and the 'step-back' G4's took the place of the MDD/FW800.

And, neither Lowendmac nor apple-history makes any mention of Radeon 9700Pro as options for those G4's.

Maybe the page has been up since Jan '03, but I don't remember ever having seen it before, which is why I figured there might be something brewing.

[edit]nevermind, i still can't find any proof that it actually shipped (there can't be many of them, for the reasons above) but it's clear that it isn't a new product. I wonder if it'll make it's way into something that ships for more than a few weeks?[/edit]
  • Reply 74 of 97
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I double checked, and I don't think it ever did. It was announced in Jan '03, but as of NAB '03 (April) it still hadn't shipped, and by June the MDD/FW800 was EOL'd. The G5's were announced (no 9700) and the 'step-back' G4's took the place of the MDD/FW800.

And, neither Lowendmac nor apple-history makes any mention of Radeon 9700Pro as options for those G4's.

See here. Or here.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

See here. Or here.

It's pretty funny to see the second link, dated Jan '03 (when they announced it) and then see the other link that says it's finally available (April '03). And other reports from NAB said it wasn't actually shipping yet, despite being listed on apple's website as CTO. I wonder how many they ever shipped? And, do you think that's the kind of thing that cools ATI's efforts in bringing new stuff to the Mac platform? ATI clearly spent months getting that ready for shipment in the FW800 G4's, and only weeks after it shipped (if it ever did) Apple kills the machines, and doesn't offer the card in any subsequent machines.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Re PCI-Express: as has been said many times, it is not the same as PCI-X.

ATI is supposed to release some PCI-Express video cards sometime this month. I don't know if they'll support Mac; I suppose probably not (does anybody besides me think it's grossly stupid to have firmware on add-in cards? why can't on-card software be loaded into card RAM by the driver?). They are supposedly variations of the 9600 Pro and 9800 Pro.

I think it's unfortunate, but the recent eMac update makes it more believable that the iMac will stay G4 for another generation. Jeff's information is believable, but doesn't excite me at all.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Re PCI-Express: as has been said many times, it is not the same as PCI-X.

ATI is supposed to release some PCI-Express video cards sometime this month. I don't know if they'll support Mac; I suppose probably not (does anybody besides me think it's grossly stupid to have firmware on add-in cards? why can't on-card software be loaded into card RAM by the driver?). They are supposedly variations of the 9600 Pro and 9800 Pro.

I think it's unfortunate, but the recent eMac update makes it more believable that the iMac will stay G4 for another generation. Jeff's information is believable, but doesn't excite me at all.

Is the problem with compatability something that Apple can address on their end? From what I have read the difference is the firmware and clockspeed (software controlled) that the cards work at.

I would imagine that it would be in Apple's best interest to have plug and play with all upgrades/peripherials. That way Apple can pick up off the shelf parts, and there isn't that perception that there are fewer and more expensive video options for the Mac. Of course it is in ATI's best interest to be able to charge the premium for their Mac cards, but not Apple's or Apples customers.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by SPF Jeff

I have it under good authority that Apple will be updating most of their product lines at or before the WWDC.

Towers will be first with the introduction for the first time into the lineup, 90 nm 970FX's. Speeds are widely spaced at 2.0 GHz, 2.5 GHz, and 3.0 GHz.

question: who or what is "very good authority"? (macosrumors and spymac don't count.)

secondly, aren't IBM having difficulty building a 2 GHz G5? that kind of shoots down the 2/2.5/3 idea.

just sayin'.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Dual G5 Xserves *are* shipping, btw. Don't know if that fuels or retards the fire.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by bratling

question: who or what is "very good authority"? (macosrumors and spymac don't count.)

secondly, aren't IBM having difficulty building a 2 GHz G5? that kind of shoots down the 2/2.5/3 idea.

And do you think this comes from a "very good authority"?

Please,Its just another wild rumor started by someone with more time on his hands than is healthy for him.