presidential speech

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Go rexamine yourselves--this is rediculous. Those questions were asked to damage Bush and get pry open further avenues for critisism. Hate him as much as you want to, that fact will not change.

What do you guys really have except hatred?

Not nice.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

"endowed by their Creator

Their Creator . . . . you mean their Mother and Father?!?!
  • Reply 63 of 124
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    My favourites:

"I wouldn't be happy if I was occupied either."

Why does he keep forgetting what question he's just been asked? Strikes me that he's not very clever.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    oops
  • Reply 65 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Go rexamine yourselves--this is rediculous. Those questions were asked to damage Bush and get pry open further avenues for critisism. Hate him as much as you want to, that fact will not change.

Not nice.

Of the questions that you pointed out the only one that seems calculated is the one asking for an apology. in fact, IIRC, it didn't directly ask for an apology but asked what Bush thought

The other questionabout mistakes was a sort of follow up on a question that was asked in a prior press conference where he answered that trading Sammi Sosa was the biggest mistake:

These questions should be opportunities for brilliant leaders to take control of the focus and say something great . . . . look back at great leaders and imagine what they would have said: Churchill, Roosevelt etc

You are blaming Bush's terrible Q&A session on 'the Liberal media' . . . . now come on . . . can't YOU look at yourself and see quite a bit of cliche?!?!?!
  • Reply 66 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Q: Why are you and the vice president testifying together to the 9/11 commission?

Bush: Duhhh, because they asked me to testify?

Q: Yes, but why do you need the vice president there at the same time?

Bush: Duhhhhh, because they asked me?

Yeah, I'm stretching...but not too far.

RFLOLRFLOLRFLOL

except that its so sad
  • Reply 67 of 124
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Wether or not Bush wants to naswer a sucker question is not news, it's not even relevant. This is not TV, Bush is not an actor, he has little IQ, and those facts aren't much more than fodder for superficial thinking.

Bush '04: It's Not My Fault...not even the movements of my own mouth.

But I agree with you on the IQ thing.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

All presidents are asked questions that are potentially damaging to them. However, most have the ability to demonstrate they have given the subject some real thought and answer on point, whether or not they admit to anything. You don't honestly see anything wrong with the way this man formulates his answers and speaks on serious issues, given that he is the President of the United States?

By the way, there is a subtle difference between "hatred" and "disgust". We can be disgusted with a person's actions and not hate him / wish hateful things upon him. Yank your head out before it's too late....
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Thanks, dmz, for reminding us that democracy means allowing the president to endlessly repeat talking points while avoiding reality.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Bush '04: It's Not My Fault...not even the movements of my own mouth.

But I agree with you on the IQ thing.

TQ, actually televsion quotient.

How the precieved image of the individual is recieved by a populace that has normalized their preceptions based on typical television presentation of individuals and incidents.

Audiances don't feel comfortable with some people on televsion---they may be perfectly normal people but body language, facial expressions---all the really "important" issues---get in the way of the message.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Thanks, dmz, for reminding us that democracy means allowing the president to endlessly repeat talking points while avoiding reality.

And thank you for more hatefull sarcasm. You are usually so good with facts---why this?

It's what presidents do---he was asked questions that were unanswerable---except to admit culpablilty, deviousness, or subtrufuge.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

TQ, actually televsion quotient.

How the precieved image of the individual is recieved by a populace that has normalized their preceptions based on typical television presentation of individuals and incidents.

Audiances don't feel comfortable with some people on televsion---they may be perfectly normal people but body language, facial expressions---all the really "important" issues---get in the way of the message.

Eerrr, case in point?

/can't wait for the debates...

• Reply 73 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

TQ

it was a joke, dmz.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    The response about his biggest mistake post 9-11 was absolutely incredible.

Just watching it now. Absoluckingfutely extraordinary.

"Maybe I need to learn to communicate better."

Oh, and why did he start quoting from testimony due to be given the NEXT DAY before stopping himself because he didn't want to 'prejudge' someone else's testimony? George ... of course it's all theatre but you're *NOT SUPPOSED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO IT.*

This man is not up to the job he has.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

And thank you for more hatefull sarcasm.

If you are going to randomly apply loaded words to views you don't understand, the least you could do is spell the word correctly.

Quote:

It's what presidents do---he was asked questions that were unanswerable---except to admit culpablilty, deviousness, or subtrufuge.

The presidents needs to be accountable. Plain and simple.

If deviousness and subterfuge are the only answers then that speaks for itself.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

It's really almost sad in some ways. He's obviously in over his head, and he looks depressed at times. He should just get out. But then the self-righteous indignation returns and I hope he's impeached.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

The response about his biggest mistake post 9-11 was absolutely incredible.

Just watching it now. Absoluckingfutely extraordinary.

"Maybe I need to learn to communicate better."

Oh, and why did he start quoting from testimony due to be given the NEXT DAY before stopping himself because he didn't want to 'prejudge' someone else's testimony? George ... of course it's all theatre but you're *NOT SUPPOSED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO IT.*

I have yet to figure out how people can watch him and not be completely appalled. Afterall, it was straight-up painful to watch.
  • Reply 78 of 124
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    How could David Sanger write this article? (NYT)
    Quote:

Facing a moment of political peril unlike any in the more than one thousand days of his presidency, George W. Bush made the case on Tuesday night for staying the course in Iraq with the language and zeal of a missionary and combined it with a stark warning that failure would embolden America's enemies around the world.

With those words, Mr. Bush drove home the singlemindedness that has become the hallmark of his presidency, his greatest strength in the eyes of his admirers and a dangerous, never-change-course stubbornness in the eyes of his detractors. He could have simply talked Tuesday evening about the crimes of Saddam Hussein or the fear that chaos in Iraq would breed terror in one of the most volatile corners of the world.

But he did far more, reaching for the kind of language about America's moral mission in the world that seemed drawn from the era of Teddy Roosevelt, whose speeches he keeps on the coffee table of his ranch in Texas. He described an America chosen by God to spread freedom. He never used the word "crusade," which touched off a firestorm of criticism in the Muslim world when he uttered it soon after Sept. 11, 2001. But he described one.

How?

I think Josh Marshall's analysis was more accurate: (TPM)

Quote:

I don't know how to give a meaningful analysis of how the president did tonight. (I didn't watch it live, but taped, later in the evening.) Perhaps my opinions of the man and his record are too set in stone for me to provide an objective take. But, even setting aside the awkward moments where the president couldn't think of any mistake he'd ever made on foreign policy since 9/11, what I saw was a man with a quiver of cliches and a few simple stock arguments. Whatever the question, he grabbed a handful of those and tossed them back.

How is that not almost universally evident?
  • Reply 79 of 124
    I have to say that I felt kind of bad for him. He looked like a man under a lot of pressure who is not getting enough sleep.

He did come across as someone who believes in what he is doing...or is at least trying to believe in what he is doing...he just didn't come across as someone who has had much say in the matter.

I felt kind of bad for him, but I feel worse for us.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It's really almost sad in some ways. He's obviously in over his head, and he looks depressed at times. He should just get out. But then the self-righteous indignation returns and I hope he's impeached.

It's just NUTS.

If you're hiring for a senior exec at an SME, you require good communication skills, knowledge of the sector you're going into BEFORE you get the job, a workaholic approach, deep media awareness of what people are saying about you and your project, POLITICAL SENSIBILITY, well travelled

This guy can't speak, thought the leader of Pakistan was called "General," goes fishing all the time, is vocal about never reading the papers, exposes the wires of the machine, had been abroad ONCE before getting the gig. I wouldn't employ him in my company as a manager let alone an exec.

I know we all know this. This is a straight-forward Bushbash. But he's the leader of the US. He's got his finger on the button. Christ.