Motion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
New splash page @ apple.com

Adobe's gotta be pissed now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    **** Adobe, if they cant do it right then they should have to fight. Competition breeds excellence.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

**** Adobe, if they cant do it right then they should have to fight.

Whatever. After Effects is very 'right'. If you're serious about motion design you've probably got more than just AFX sitting on your box.

Motion is just another tool...a tool I want very very badly to buy if they'd only post the friggin button.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Whatever. After Effects is very 'right'. If you're serious about motion design you've probably got more than just AFX sitting on your box.

Motion is just another tool...a tool I want very very badly to buy if they'd only post the friggin button.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but competition is what drives innovation. Thank God Apple is still around to force these stagnate and arrogant companies (which Apple often is as well) to actually do something with their R&D budgets.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Soon. This summer.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    What's the difference between Shake and Motion? Sorry, I've read the descriptions and they seem rather similar. I thought Shake was an AE killer.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

What's the difference between Shake and Motion? Sorry, I've read the descriptions and they seem rather similar. I thought Shake was an AE killer.

From what I can gather from the sparse Motion info, I'm thinking it's more of just an 'effects' package that ties in nicely to FCP4.

Shake is more of a compositing program, where in the case of Motion you'll probably use FCP as you're compositor.

I'm still trying to digest all of this, so I could be way off.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It will be interesting to see how Adobe responds... whether they actually make an effort to compete and improve their aging, clunky AE (esp. aging and clunky on OS X), or take a Premiere-like direction and redirect After Effects to Windows-only.

I expect the former, actually. AE is too entrenched to just roll up its stuff and go home. If so, that's win-win for designers, no matter which motion graphics tool they choose.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    merde... I was so stuck in AO and hattrick that I didn't see this before now!!!

ME WANT!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Motion is is trimmed down Shake, and yes Shake is an AE killer.

Motion from what I can tell seems more closer to Mirage than anything. I almost bought Mirage about a week ago, but decided to puck up ZBrush instead. I sure am glad I did now.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

While Motion is not exactly an After Effects Killer, it is a big blow to Adobe. My guess is it will either lead to the end of After Effects on the Mac or a price drop. Shake is in a whole other league than both of these apps.

If you check out the tech specs, you can see the difference, but it does take a little technical knowledge. The Qmaster advanced rendering and integration with 3D apps like MAYA are huge features. Also, Shake also runs on Linux. This probably sums it up the best from the Shake page:

Quote:

The Shake SDK provides access to virtually all of Shake?s power and functionality so you can fully customize processes to meet any automation or production challenge. Run Shake from its own interface, from scripts or from a Mac OS X or Linux command line (shell). For large facilities in particular, the Shake 3.5 SDK is an ideal platform for creating custom production pipelines.

Basically Motion is for video editors and DIY folks who need more advanced tools than FCP provides for their composites and titles.

Shake is a fully customizable software package that can be scripted and tuned to meet the heavy demands of Motion Picture projects.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Basically Motion is for video editors and DIY folks who need more advanced tools than FCP provides for their composites and titles.

That's it I think. Nowhere can I find any info about multiple comps or nesting, so I don't think I'll be building anything in Motion very complex.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Motion is is trimmed down Shake

From what I can tell, Motion looks more like advanced compositing for FCP than any version of Shake. They share some features, but the architecture of the UI is totally different. People who want a trimmed down Shake (or trimmed down Flame, Fire, Inferno) get Combustion

Quote:

and yes Shake is an AE killer.

I am so sick of hearing this. Shake and AE have coexisted for years (even before Apple bought Shake) and are aimed at different users/markets.

At $4950.00 Shake is not going kill off sales of anything. The average prosumer or even pro who is using AE is not going to run out and drop an extra $4000.00 for Shake.

Motion, on the other hand, will draw sales away from Adobe and Discreet. And yes this might cause the final blow to any more versions of AE on the Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Motion is is trimmed down Shake, and yes Shake is an AE killer.

Shake is not an AE killer because it's not even close in price... Motion is.

Edit: Buckeye beat me to it.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    so, it is compositing video with special effects and titles?
  • Reply 15 of 64
    I wasn't referring to it as a package war (microslop monopoly type) killer. What I'm saying is Shake is the top of the heap. It's capabilities out weigh that of AE's. That's what I mean by Shake is a AE killer. Shake is a killer app. It's totally Node based just like Maya. It's hard to compete with the unmatched flexibility of the node based architecture.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

I wasn't referring to it as a package war (microslop monopoly type) killer.

Now I'm quoting myself.. I must be crazy...

No seriously.. Motion isn't an AE killer either.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

I wasn't referring to it as a package war (microslop monopoly type) killer. What I'm saying is Shake is the top of the heap. It's capabilities out weigh that of AE's. That's what I mean by Shake is a AE killer. Shake is a killer app. It's totally Node based just like Maya. It's hard to compete with the unmatched flexibility of the node based architecture.

I agree with you, but it's not an AE killer because it's not in the same class. I can say that flame is an AE killer but it's not necessary... it's like comparing motorcycles to motor scooters.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Did anyone see the recommended system? :

Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5

4GB of RAM or more

Mac OS X v10.3.3 or later

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card or better

oh dear
  • Reply 19 of 64
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Did anyone see the recommended system? :

Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5

4GB of RAM or more

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card or better

oh dear

Real Time effects don't come cheap, in processor performance terms.

The Minimum System Requirements are:

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 processor

512MB of RAM (2GB or more recommended)

QuickTime 6.5 or later

Display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher (1280-by-1024 resolution recommended)

One of the following graphics cards:

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

? ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

? ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

? ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

? ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

10GB of disk space for application, templates, and tutorial

DVD drive for installation
  • Reply 20 of 64
    The minimum machine is my current system. But I have 256MB more ram. MY video card is a GeForce 3 TI. I think it'll do. But 10 GB of drive space for Motion. It may be a better application than we are taking it for. With all that data it's gotta have some kind of fire power.

Those Graphics cards are getting as long in the tooth as mine. Apple needs new cards, and they need pro level 3D cards. I just read a rumor at the Alias forums (Formerly Alias|Wavefront forums) that a guy from Alias said Maya isn't available as Unlimited on the Mac side because Apple doesn't have support for Pro 3D cards.

That's fvcking pitiful.