iPod Update One Week From Today

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Whatever it is, it better make me forget that I think Steve's snubbing of Real was a big, big, stupid mistake.

A company valued at ~ $10.12Bil (with over 4Bil in cash and zero debt) snubbing a company valued at ~ 1.12B was a "big, big, stupid mistake"?

Well okay if you say so... but I still think Steve was right... (paraphrased) "Real brings nothing to the table for Apple". Heck, if Apple wanted to they could probably even initiate a hostile takeover of Real and still have a pretty good chunk of change in their cash reserve. But at this stage of the game what would be the point? I could be wrong but Real just doesn't have the industry pull that it once did and in another few years or so it wouldn't shock me to see Real fall off the radar screen entirely. Microsoft has been slowly eating their lunch and if Real does make a deal with them then my 'another few years' prediction might even need to be reevaluated...

In short - Real is in real trouble and grasping for straws... I see no point in Apple providing them one.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 77
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    It seems this March 17 article is a description of my mockup:

4th Generation iPod?

• Reply 43 of 77
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

It seems this March 17 article is a description of my mockup:

4th Generation iPod?

i'll be damned if the resolution is that high
  • Reply 44 of 77
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

In short - Real is in real trouble and grasping for straws... I see no point in Apple providing them one.

Apples refusal will only reinvigorate the image of Apple as a closed shop.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Come on, the thought is "Real brings nothing to the table". The proposal was, Apple licenses Fairplay to Real so Real can build and sell iTMS-clone online music stores. It's easy to see what Real gets out of it. What does Apple get out of it? (pause for thought) Well, that's what Steve apparently thought, too.

The mockup above is probably about right, except for the screen resolution. I wonder if the price will come down? I wonder if it'll have microphone or line in jacks? More organizer features?
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

According to www.macminute.com and this site, Apple is holding a one year iTMS anniversary conference call. We should expect some announcements, ranging from product introductions to market share data numbers. Nice!

I think you are mistaken. Apple has never introduced new products by way of a conference call. This indicates (to me at least) that Steve Jobs will release some figures, similar to the quarterly conference call, about the success of the iTMS. As I've said, I don't think the one-year anniversary of the iTMS is a big enough occasion for a new product introduction.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    No, the conference call/one year anniversary is not reason enough, but the timing would be right for a new line or update to the iPods.

It has been 112 days since the iPod mini's release alone. The top end iPod has not been updated for quite some time, and the HP iPod has yet to be released...
  • Reply 48 of 77
    sockboysockboy Posts: 29member
    My guess is that there will not be a big change to the ipod, but that they will discontinue the 15Gig ipod, and MAYBE introduce a larger 50 or 60Gig model. Prices for the 20 and 40Gig will be pretty much stay the same. This would provide greater price distinction between the minipod and ipod.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sockboy

My guess is that there will not be a big change to the ipod, but that they will discontinue the 15Gig ipod, and MAYBE introduce a larger 50 or 60Gig model. Prices for the 20 and 40Gig will be pretty much stay the same. This would provide greater price distinction between the minipod and ipod.

So you're saying it would be good if the low end choice is between iPod Mini/4GB/$250 and iPod/20GB/$400? Bad idea, IMHO. I've been considering a new iPod but the 4GB model isn't for me and I won't spend $400.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    sockboysockboy Posts: 29member
    iDave,

I'm not saying it would be good, but I'm guessing that this is the direction that they are going to be moving in. (I'm in the same boat as you, the 15gig is what I'm eyeing, and if it is dropped, I will be snatching one up in the next week from a local reseller).

I think that the minipod will become the consumer/low cost/limited to music device, and the ipod will continue to grow and add functionality, like photo viewing etc, becoming a more expensive "pro" device.

Just a hunch, but it seems to fit apple's model.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

The ipod and ipod mini was not supposed to battle each other. They both have a very clear prey. For the ipod, its prey is the Dell DJ, the big rio, and the other big companies. The mini's prey is the small rio's and the 128 MB mp3 players that sell for $190. If you would watch Macworld 2004 when the mini was introduced, you will see Jobs plan with the mini.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Think about all the crap on Apple's home page right now. Do you really think they would override all of that now that they have finally updated some products? No. Maybe throw an iTMS 100 Million splash in the rotation, but no new products. When Apple updates the iPod, they won't want the spotlight stolen from it.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

I think that the minipod will become the consumer/low cost/limited to music device, and the ipod will continue to grow and add functionality, like photo viewing etc, becoming a more expensive "pro" device.

I'll buy that idea if and when the Mini has a capacity of a few thousand songs. Until then, I doubt Apple will discontinue the higher storage $299 model. It'd be like killing the goose that layed the golden egg.
  • Reply 54 of 77
  • Reply 55 of 77
    purepure Posts: 26member
    yes, Shania's a babe
  • Reply 56 of 77
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PURE

yes, Shania's a babe

you know it!!!
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

I think you are mistaken. Apple has never introduced new products by way of a conference call. This indicates (to me at least) that Steve Jobs will release some figures, similar to the quarterly conference call, about the success of the iTMS. As I've said, I don't think the one-year anniversary of the iTMS is a big enough occasion for a new product introduction.

They've updated both Powermac's and iMac's at conference calls.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Well, maybe today is all about iTunes music store. 70+ million is the number they are showing for songs, but that says nothing about whether or not the Pepsi songs are included. Maybe that will be Steve's bomb for the press confrence. Also, the library is now 700,000 songs and counting.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    The fact the iTunes Music Store now has trailers is a key indicator to me the next generation iPod will play movies... or at least trailers.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by cpenzone

The fact the iTunes Music Store now has trailers is a key indicator to me the next generation iPod will play movies... or at least trailers.

hopefully trailers, clips, and music videos...movies = unnecessary