Power5 based 975 90nm chips to ramp in May?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

I probably can, and then some. Take a 1 GHz singe core POWER4 and compare it to a hyperthreaded dual core POWER5 at 2 GHz..
  • Reply 142 of 148
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Sure it is a good vector processor but so is the G4.

Its vector performance is also aided by its much more impressive FSB. A modern interconnect (compared to the G4's MaxBus) and a decent FPU are probably the 970's strong points.
  • Reply 143 of 148
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

I probably can, and then some. Take a 1 GHz singe core POWER4 and compare it to a hyperthreaded dual core POWER5 at 2 GHz..

You can probably compare dual core to dual core and still see the 4x performance improvement. On the tasks IBM is measuring their SMT implementation runs 2 threads at full speed, so the POWER5 has 4 threads at double the clock rate plus various optimizations like an on-chip memory controller.
  • Reply 144 of 148
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

You can probably compare dual core to dual core and still see the 4x performance improvement. On the tasks IBM is measuring their SMT implementation runs 2 threads at full speed, so the POWER5 has 4 threads at double the clock rate plus various optimizations like an on-chip memory controller.

4 threads. Twice the clock. Sundry optimisations. On Chip memory controller. (Is that what the Athlon 64 has?)

If the PowerPC variety 9xx has two thirds of that then it will eat the 970 and Prescott and Athlon 64 for breakfast.

I pray to Gawd that Apple's 3 gig busting 9xx is ready by the fall.

Awesome. Could be. (Imagine the snap on X? )

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 145 of 148
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

On Chip memory controller. (Is that what the Athlon 64 has?)

I think this is an Opteron feature.
  • Reply 146 of 148
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

If the PowerPC variety 9xx has two thirds of that then it will eat the 970 and Prescott and Athlon 64 for breakfast.

It wil eat current processors for breakfast.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

It wil eat current processors for breakfast.

I find you comment rather cryptic. Could you elaborate a little more?
  • Reply 148 of 148
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The CPU market will not stand still is all it means. Of course, there might be some specifics behind it.