Will 12" PB ever become 13.3"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know the PB's were just revised and they're pretty good. But I've always thought the 12" models were a tad small (yes, I have poorer eyesight). And I know there are those who prefer an even smaller screen like 10". To each his own.

But I think 13.3" (or thereabouts) widescreen hits a sweet balance between portability and usability. I also realize that size also begins to encroach on the 15" PB territory.

In that case, perhaps new G5 PB's in 2005 could be 13.3", 16", and 18" respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    just improving the 12" resolution and brightness would be sufficient.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

But I think 13.3" (or thereabouts) widescreen hits a sweet balance between portability and usability.

Absolutely. I am currently owning a PowerBook 15" and would switch to a 13.5" screen in a second - provided they up the resolution from the current 12".

1400 x 900 on 13.5" - my dream-book Just add some resolution-independent UI-features and I start drooling
  • Reply 3 of 33
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Segment the 12" offering into 2:

13.3" PB (same specs as 12") or beef up the screen on the existing 12"

and 10" PB - slimmed down, ultra lite, ultra thin and ultraportable, no [Edit: CD] drive, purely for the traveller. Make syncing with a desktop really easy (via a dock?).
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Absolutely. I am currently owning a PowerBook 15" and would switch to a 13.5" screen in a second - provided they up the resolution from the current 12".

1400 x 900 on 13.5" - my dream-book Just add some resolution-independent UI-features and I start drooling

I'm in the same boat as you. I am actually getting rid of my 15.2" AlBook as I find it too cumbersome, and I'm going back to a 12". The newly announced revisions were enough to finally convince me to switch back after only having the 15.2" for a month.

My ideal machine would have a 13.3" widescreen at the same approximate resolution as the 15.2" (but rather a true 16:10 widescreen). My eyes could handle a 1400x900 screen, but I don't think it's neccessary.

I think that Apple are making a mistake by not offering the entire range of Powerbooks as widescreens, and I bet that when we get the next form-factor they'll all have one. In my eyes, that would be the best way to differentiate the pro machines from the consumer machines.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Here's the ideal small Powerbook:

13.3" 1280x854 Display

1.5 GHz 7447a G4

Radeon Mobility 9700 128 MB Graphics

80GB 5400 RPM hard drive

$1599
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Here's the ideal small Powerbook:

13.3" 1280x854 Display

1.6 GHz G5

Radeon Mobility 9700 128 MB Graphics

80GB 7200 RPM hard drive

$1749

Revised your specs.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I think I am about to pull the trigger on a 12" powerbook purchase, but either of those above would be a nice replacement in 6 months
  • Reply 8 of 33
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I think I am about to pull the trigger on a 12" powerbook purchase, but either of those above would be a nice replacement in 6 months

Me too, but I won't be looking to replace that thing for at least two years. Methinks some of ya'll have too much money.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I wish that was the case d00d I really do, I am completely agonizing over this purchase and what it will mean in the future for me.. tiz tuff one at the mo, keeping me up at night..
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Methinks some of ya'll have too much money.

It certainly is not me, at 6:05 AM on Friday morning I will have been out of work for 11 months.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what about the 15" model being bumped to the new 15.4 LCD display?

I've seen it on a few dells and toshibas... it is NICE
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Revised your specs.

Where is that "order" button?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

just improving the 12" resolution...

The resolution of the 12" screens is perfect, no need for any changes.

Some manufacturer recently released a 14" widescreen panel (16:10) with a 1280x800 resolution. This panel is only .1 taller than a 4:3 12" and about 2" wider. If anything, I could see that as a replacement for a 12" screen, particularly for the iBook, where they might get rid of the two seperate models and just have two/widescreen models.

As for the 12", rather than make the screen bigger, they could make the rest of the unit smaller.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The resolution of the 12" screens is perfect, no need for any changes.

There are two very different opinions on this. I will not rehash the whole pro and con, but just say that Apples low-def screens are one major point why I am not buying.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

10" PB - slimmed down, ultra lite, ultra thin and ultraportable, no [Edit: CD] drive, purely for the traveller. Make syncing with a desktop really easy (via a dock?).

No CD drive??? um this is the 21st century! I think if someone needs something that portable, a PDA would be more than sufficient.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

No CD drive??? um this is the 21st century! I think if someone needs something that portable, a PDA would be more than sufficient.

Get a grip, ipodandimac, and think before you laugh your head off like an idiot!

Why do you think every major PC manufacturer offers at least one subnotebook model without an optical drive? Because people don't buy them? Ever tried to type up and edit a multipage document on a PDA? There might not be enough demand for a Mac subnotebook. But that does not mean that a PDA "would be more than sufficient" to replace a subnotebook without an optical drive. Nor does it mean that a subnotebook without an optical drive is laughable. Quite the opposite!

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the technology is almost there to get to a 3lbs computer with good battery life and an optical; certainly to get under 4lbs, but at what price?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'd buy the 10" too. Small notebooks (smaller than that!) have been sold in Japan for years, but not by Apple.

Why is the subnote better than a PDA?

(a) It'd run regular software that runs on regular computers. PDAs don't. Oh sure, there's a lot of crappy junk for the Palm, and a teeny bit of crappy junk for the PocketPC (depending on which cpu you have).

(b) People wouldn't have to learn a completely different set of methods of doing everything.

(c) It could have a pretty much regular keyboard, instead of a crappy thumb-pad or terrible handwriting recognition.

(d) It could have a screen that's big enough to realistically use for web, email and word-processing.

(e) It would use standard APIs and development tools, making it tremendously easier to program.

I could go on and on. A PDA is a hideous and cruel substitute for a real computer.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I think the 12'' is perfect already for those who want to be portable but functional.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Get a grip, ipodandimac, and think before you laugh your head off like an idiot!

Oh shit, escher just threw down the gauntlet. pwnt!