Will 12" PB ever become 13.3"?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Oh shit, escher just threw down the gauntlet. pwnt!

I'd like to know how much the Subnotebook industry pulls in in revenue and profits every year compared to Apple's notebooks as a whole. Hell, I would bet the iPod would make more money than all of the subnotebooks combined.

It doesnt seem like a very profitable or practical product. I'll take a PowerBook 12'' if I want to have a small computer. It does everything a personal computer can do, subnotebooks dont do that, yet cost as much. Explain that...and dont tell me that .2 inches thinner and .4 lbs lighter is a big deal, because it is not...unless your are a ****ing pussy bitch baby.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I agree that a 12" screen really is the limit for an all round useable notebook.

I think the 12" PB will get a little slimmer/lighter, but it is perfectly manageable as is. In fact, I'd rather have any progress lightening the machine offset by increased battery capacity.

AFAIK, there aren't any 3:2 13.3" panels, or even 16:10, your choices are 4:3 12" or 16:10 14" or a selection of Xwide format screens. A Picturebook type screen could be a good size for a notetaker/remote email junkie, but the format is limited for other work.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    I would have to agree with audiopolution that a faster hard drive would be nice. There are a ton of audiophiles and DV enthusiasts out there who would love to do live location recording and editing on the same machine, the same day. By the time the form factor on Power Books is updated, the quoted specs seem more than reasonable--

13.3" 1280x854 Display

1.6 GHz G5

Radeon Mobility 9700 128 MB Graphics

80GB 7200 RPM hard drive

$1749--

Apple is pulling out all of the stops when it comes to DV. IMHO a wider, higher definition screen makes total sense, on multiple levels including differentiation between pro and consumer lines. Moving to a 13.3 wide aspect screen wouldn't make it much bigger, just a little wider. A little more rectangular, a little less square is fine with me; more space for tool palletes, etc. would be great. Add lighted keys and you the ultimate portable music/DV computer.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I agree that a 12" screen really is the limit for an all round useable notebook.

I think the 12" PB will get a little slimmer/lighter, but it is perfectly manageable as is. In fact, I'd rather have any progress lightening the machine offset by increased battery capacity.

AFAIK, there aren't any 3:2 13.3" panels, or even 16:10, your choices are 4:3 12" or 16:10 14" or a selection of Xwide format screens. A Picturebook type screen could be a good size for a notetaker/remote email junkie, but the format is limited for other work.

To add on this, 4:3 13.3" panels are out: LCD suppliers don't manufacture them anymore. If I'm not mistaken, Lg.Philips and Tottori Sanyo were the last ones to have them in their product list. They have disappeared now.

A 16:10 12.1" 1280x800 does exist however (AU Optronix)...
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

No CD drive??? um this is the 21st century! I think if someone needs something that portable, a PDA would be more than sufficient.

If you could run a full-blown version of OS X on a PDA (with a usable keyboard I might agree. Check out the IBM ThinkPad X30 - you might change your perspective on this...
  • Reply 26 of 33
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    It's possible, Winstron is manufactoring notebooks with 12.1 widescreen displays for Dell laptops this summer according to this
  • Reply 27 of 33
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RageX

It's possible, Winstron is manufactoring notebooks with 12.1 widescreen displays for Dell laptops this summer according to this

I agree on the 13"! I need to buy in the next few weeks and I'm a bit put off by the 12" PBs and iBs as it's just a bit too small for everyday use imho. I don't anticipate using the portability very often but would like that option if I go to a friends place or whatever. I think 13,15,17 inch PBs are a good lineup, each 2" apart. I can't imagine anyone wanting bigger than a 17" PB!! Will prob just get me a low-end eMac to tide me over!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hope not! I'd like to see the same size screen but a smaller unit in general, get rid of the bezel and spaces between keys but do not sacrifice features. Apple doesn't make subnotebooks because they don't have the resources or market. PBs need media drives. Having a almost subnote with a SuperDrive is happiness. Just shave half an inch of here and there and it'd be subnote, albeit on the cusp.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Well I think the 12" screen is great. Resolution should be better, but more importantly the resolution of the second monitor should be on par with the 15". That alone is why I went for a 15" PB. That and I don't mind the extra size right now.

A case in point at the coffee shops and public places, I see 12" PB and iBooks are very popular! I would advocate for your 13.3" only if that meant Apple was going to have a 10" subnotebook, too.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    morbitmorbit Posts: 1member
    AOpen already lists a two-spindle, 12,1" wide-screen (15:10) notebook.There is also a picture. Quite sweet!

http://solution.aopen.com.tw/products/nb/1551.htm
  • Reply 31 of 33
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Oh shit, escher just threw down the gauntlet. pwnt!

Got that right, LoCash. Sometimes I have to take my gloves off and even throw one of them to challenge a blasphemous subnotebook doubter.

This was one of my last posts before I disappeared from AI to concentrate on finishing up law school. I was under a lot of pressure, but didn't crumble where it really mattered. Except for walking in a funky robe to pick up a piece of paper with "J.D." and my name on it, I'm done! What a relief to post here without Damocles' sword over my head.

Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I'd like to know how much the Subnotebook industry pulls in in revenue and profits every year compared to Apple's notebooks as a whole. Hell, I would bet the iPod would make more money than all of the subnotebooks combined.

I wouldn't disagree with you, Messiahtosh. There is an obvious lack of economic incentive to make a subnotebook for the 3% Mac market. That's why we don't have a sub-PowerBook. But I can still lust after one, can I not?

Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

...and dont tell me that .2 inches thinner and .4 lbs lighter is a big deal, because it is not...unless your are a ****ing pussy bitch baby.

Here's a case in point: I just went to a wedding in Santa Fe, New Mexico. My 4.9 lbs iBook/500 stayed behind. If it had been a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, it might have made the cut. There is a difference!

Escher, aka "****ing pussy bitch baby"
  • Reply 32 of 33
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I know the PB's were just revised and they're pretty good. But I've always thought the 12" models were a tad small (yes, I have poorer eyesight). And I know there are those who prefer an even smaller screen like 10". To each his own.

But I think 13.3" (or thereabouts) widescreen hits a sweet balance between portability and usability. I also realize that size also begins to encroach on the 15" PB territory.

In that case, perhaps new G5 PB's in 2005 could be 13.3", 16", and 18" respectively.

no and no and no ah, did i mention "no"?

12" pb is a perfect solution. I even can understand the need for a 10" perhaps. It simply makes sense for people on the road. period.

sizes matters.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

no and no and no ah, did i mention "no"?

12" pb is a perfect solution. I even can understand the need for a 10" perhaps. It simply makes sense for people on the road. period.

sizes matters.

A 13.3" widescreen to replace the 12" on the Powerbook makes sense. Widescreens would differentiate the pro laptops from the consumer models.