Smokers murder 35,000+ people a year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Restaurant = private property. Nobody has a right to go to a specific restaurant. If the restaurant wants to lose your business, that's their problem.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Public property?
  • Reply 43 of 101
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Sorry, but with overcrowded prisons, gang turf warfare, and drug cartels, prohibition of drugs has caused way more deaths and cost way more money than the drugs themselves would have had they been legal all this time. Banning smoking will just create another black market and fill our prisons even more and create more gang turf warfare. Don't be a fvcktard.

Letting smokers murder is a ****tard thing to do too. Join that club, BR.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

I would say fast food murders a lot more people every year.

That's self-induced. Don't confuse the issue.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Smoking is bad.

Total prohibition is much worse.

I've argued this before, but some ****tards around here get uptight about the thought.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I'm so sick of the BAN IT BAN IT BAN IT attitude. Seriously, go find a cave to crawl into and leave me the hell alone. I've had enough of you people.

That's because you're immature. You're evidently not intelligent enough to recognize that you're rights end when the rights of your neighbor begin.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I don't smoke. I hate smoke. If a restaurant wants to allow smoking, I won't go there. It's not the government's place to take that choice away from me.

Is it or is it not the government's responsiblity to keep you from shooting someone?
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Public property?

Public enclosed spaces. No smoking. Public outdoor spaces? Grow up and ask them to move or move yourself.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Restaurant = private property. Nobody has a right to go to a specific restaurant. If the restaurant wants to lose your business, that's their problem.

A restaurant need society's approval to exist. They open their doors to the public and need to abide by the public's wishes. If they don't, they're not a restaurant. They can't let rats run free in the kitchen either.

Deal with it.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

That's because you're immature. You're evidently not intelligent enough to recognize that you're rights end when the rights of your neighbor begin.

Ridiculous of you of all people to lecture me of all people about this mister tax and spend.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Public enclosed spaces. No smoking. Public outdoor spaces? Grow up and ask them to move or move yourself.

Even in public outdoor spaces, I've clearly illustrated the futility of "moving yourself" and the inevitability of passing through a throng of smokers- hell, even spending a significantly harmful amount of time with smokers without being able to do a thing. Rather than ironically childlish admonishments to "grow up" for having to deal with these concerns, how about some real solutions? I think it's clear that your viewpoint is weakest and unsupportable for this type of situation.

And it's real- I have to deal with it every single day going to class: outside buildings and on campus paths and sidewalks. 8 semesters of breathing that shit. 8 unconscionable semesters. At least it's warm out and the girls look hot. I could look forward to that between gasps.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as restaurants go, I do have a right to work in an environment that doesn't make me sick.

And before you tell me to work somewhere else, would you also argue that say, a textile mill has the "right" to release unregulated amounts of chlorine and formaldehyde fumes onto the shop floor because any worker that objects can simply get another job?

How about garages and toluene? Nurseries and pesticides? Chem labs and mercury vapor?

It's all about personal choice, right? So once I figure out who's releasing what (assuming I can get that information) I can plan my career accordingly based on which from of cancer or neurological degeneracy I prefer.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

As far as restaurants go, I do have a right to work in an environment that doesn't make me sick.

And before you tell me to work somewhere else, would you also argue that say, a textile mill has the "right" to release unregulated amounts of chlorine and formaldehyde fumes onto the shop floor because any worker that objects can simply get another job?

How about garages and toluene? Nurseries and pesticides? Chem labs and mercury vapor?

It's all about personal choice, right? So once I figure out who's releasing what (assuming I can get that information) I can plan my career accordingly based on which from of cancer or neurological degeneracy I prefer.

The problem is you are infringing upon the rights of those who don't mind working in restaurants that allow smoking. Frankly, all that matters is the company being up front about it. If they give fair warning that should be enough.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:

Even in public outdoor spaces, I've clearly illustrated the futility of "moving yourself" and the inevitability of passing through a throng of smokers- hell, even spending a significantly harmful amount of time with smokers without being able to do a thing. Rather than ironically childlish admonishments to "grow up" for having to deal with these concerns, how about some real solutions? I think it's clear that your viewpoint is weakest and unsupportable for this type of situation.

And it's real- I have to deal with it every single day going to class: outside buildings and on campus paths and sidewalks. 8 semesters of breathing that shit. 8 unconscionable semesters. At least it's warm out and the girls look hot. I could look forward to that between gasps.

• Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:

In California you can't smoke within 20 feet of school buildings.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:

quoting himself because he doesn't think he's been addressed

Real mature shawn.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

*Partially addressing my post- probably attributable to the inadequacy of his viewpoint*

Incremental law-- but still good. That would give me 20 additional feet for a running start, depending on which way the wind blows. Maybe I could long jump over the throng of smokers gathered by the 20 foot smoking line. Catch a lift on the hot smoke rising from the crowd- nifty aerodynamics, that's all. But I'd still have to land- probably behind some short-skirted girl with a butt dangling from her fingers. Helpless, man. Doubly helpless.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The problem is you are infringing upon the rights of those who don't mind working in restaurants that allow smoking. Frankly, all that matters is the company being up front about it. If they give fair warning that should be enough.

OK, but what about the people who "don't mind" working in a haze of hydrocarbon vapors? Is there to be a kind of brokering between the ignorant and suicidal and the free market?

I imagine certain industries could save a lot of money if they didn't have to bother with worker safety. And I imagine that there are a certain population of workers that would be glad to forgo safety if it was the only way they could get a job or if it paid a little more. So then we could have an economy that rewarded killing your employees by allowing you to control your costs. American industry could do a better job of competing with third world manufacturing, who have scant worker safety regulation.

Think of it! Slightly cheaper pet toys, and all it takes is letting the mildly retarded and thoroughly desperate inhale PVC fumes all day!

The only reason cigarette smoke don't seem comparable is ubiquity has desensitized (some of) us. A smoke filled restaurant is every bit as dangerous.

The idea that I should be obliged to compete in a job market that allows people to find there own level of lethality is insane. The market pressure would be all towards cheaper, i.e. less safe.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Existence, come on man. Where's the cave-smoking exception we talked about?

I guess we can call that prison. You want to smoke? Go smoke in a nice and isolated cell. Or better yet, let us put you in one! After all, that's where all the other murderers are.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    There's really just no solution. The affects of second-hand smoke take too long for people to be concerned about. Yeah, we know that it kills, but since it doesn't happen immediately, we can't put it together. Personally, I hate being around smokers. I hate that they gather by every entrance to every building on campus. I see them and I take a deep breath while I'm still in the clean air zone and hold it until I pass. But on the other hand, there's really no good way to regulate it. And it's been a part of culture for so long (heck, that's how half the colonies made their money!) that I think it'd take another couple centuries to phase it out. At this point, the fact that restaurants and other places are banning smoking on their own is a good start and probably the best we can hope for. But it would be a nightmare trying to enforce a prohibition and just not feasible.