New Apple Monitors.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have looked back 4 pages and can't find a good thread to add this to.

I was just price searching Apple monitors and comparing prices with other similar displays. This was not a scientifically precise method, but Apple's prices seem to be a good deal right now, even if you add in the adapter.

So my question is, how hard would it be for Apple to add a second input source to their monitors? DVI and of course a removable power plug. With this and a COOL Aluminum shell, and very competative pricing, Apple could start selling displays to more PC ( I know that is a dirty word for some) users.

I would even consider adding two to my PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Ok, did I say something wrong in this thread. Is there some unwritten rule to ignore my new threads.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Well I don't know about any unwritten rule but... Apple already has done what you are asking...

1 - ADC Style Apple Display ($699 - up to - $1999) +

1 - ADC Adapter (power brick - as you call it for $99 bucks)

And any PC, Mac or "whatever" that has a DVI output card can use the monitor.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Ok, did I say something wrong in this thread. Is there some unwritten rule to ignore my new threads.

not that I know of.....

are apple's display prices competitive these days?

I didn't know about that, then maybe we shouldn't be in such a hurry for new displays. Cos then the prices would go up again, as they usually do.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Perhaps it's because the title is highly suggestive that new Apple monitors were just revealed. Suggestive if only in it's vagueness.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Perhaps it's because the title is highly suggestive that new Apple monitors were just revealed. Suggestive if only in it's vagueness.

exactly
  • Reply 6 of 25
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

not that I know of.....

I didn't know about that, then maybe we shouldn't be in such a hurry for new displays. Cos then the prices would go up again, as they usually do.

Prices usually dont go up, they usually stay the same or go down.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Well I don't know about any unwritten rule but... Apple already has done what you are asking...

1 - ADC Style Apple Display ($699 - up to - $1999) +

1 - ADC Adapter (power brick - as you call it for $99 bucks)

And any PC, Mac or "whatever" that has a DVI output card can use the monitor.

Dave

I understand that, What I am suggesting is getting rid of that extra $99 for the "PowerBrick" ADC Adapter. Change the display so that it is not required. Have it built in, integrated in such a way that with or two cables it is up and running on any computer with no extra cost.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

not that I know of.....

I saw several other 23" displays that were hundreds more. Try going to BestBuy.com and checking it out. look at the 17" and 20" at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Now if new monitors were released, then it would be in the wrong place. It would have to go under Current Hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

You are a bit impatient, don't you think?

After all, it usually takes several hours to a day until someone answers to a new thread.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

You are a bit impatient, don't you think?

After all, it usually takes several hours to a day until someone answers to a new thread.

I am only impatient online, I am a 35 year old Dyslexic with ADHD. (Gods honest truth)

I am rather patient when it comes to fishing or finding a job, I can go months and months without landing either.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I would like to see new aluminum enclosures but I think the cost of this addition would easily offset the possible chaeper costs of the panels themselves now.

Do you want a cheaper screen or a more expensive one that looks sexy?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I would like to see new aluminum enclosures but I think the cost of this addition would easily offset the possible chaeper costs of the panels themselves now.

Do you want a cheaper screen or a more expensive one that looks sexy?

I want it all cheap and sexy. Just like my women.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I understand that, What I am suggesting is getting rid of that extra $99 for the "PowerBrick" ADC Adapter. Change the display so that it is not required. Have it built in, integrated in such a way that with or two cables it is up and running on any computer with no extra cost.

So you'd want all of us ADC owning PowerMacs buyers (who pay a pretty good premium as it is) to pay for extra stuff we don't need just so PC users wouldn't have to pay out the extra $99?

Hmmm yea now THAT'S an idea!! A silly and bad idea but and idea all the same...

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

So you'd want all of us ADC owning PowerMacs buyers (who pay a pretty good premium as it is) to pay for extra stuff we don't need just so PC users wouldn't have to pay out the extra $99?

Hmmm yea now THAT'S an idea!! A silly and bad idea but and idea all the same...

Dave [/B]

PowerMac owners are a minority at Apple, I do believe Apple sells more DVI ports than ADC one's over all of their machines.

ADC also powers the monitor, yes? If that power need is not running through the PM, then you will have less heat in your PM. Maybe then we can have a contrast ration higher than 350/1. Maybe then we can see up-to-date video cards on a more timely manor.

Silly and bad is using a propritary connection and limiting your market.

This integration into the monitor will not cost Apple or you $99.00.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

This integration into the monitor will not cost Apple or you $99.00.

Well, the power supply has to cost something.

Not that I disagree with you about ADC. I think it's time for it to go. It was a pretty good idea that has, I think, actually discouraged some people from buying Apple displays. ADC made more sense in the days of the Cube, and before PowerBooks had DVI ports. While it's very handy for Power Mac users, it's inelegant for PowerBook users who want a second or bigger display, and for wintel users.

I have been waiting patiently for Apple to redesign their displays as I want to buy either a 20" or 23". I really like the current models but the fact that they aren't adjustable and can't be wall mounted keeps me from buying. (I know if it's on the wall, it's not adjustable either, but I want that option.) Soon, I'll be considering the offerings from Sony and HP if Apple doesn't revise their three-year-old design.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    I also want two inputs available on the new series of Apple's flat panels. Currently, I use a Mitsubishi monitor with BNC to my Mac and SVGA to a P.O.S. PC. It saves me desk space, and a push of a button on the monitor changes inputs.

Hopefully Apple will have two inputs on their next rev of flat panels, and they'll be available at the same time as the new PM G5's. I'm ready to buy.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Silly and bad is using a propritary connection and limiting your market.

ADC is not proprietary. It is an industry standard, although not used by very many in the industry. Their loss.

ADC is an extremely elegant solution to the problem of hooking up an external monitor. It's like the old 1-2-3 iMac commercials only here there's no 2.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I was looking to buy some type of large display.

I was considering these two:

Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Dell 23" LCD TV

Would you all help me understand the quality difference in the display. Which screen is better?

Thanks
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Prices usually dont go up, they usually stay the same or go down.

Well... I'd say RAM doesnt follow that rule closely!