(Rumored) XBox2 specs hint at the 976?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all!

XBitlabs has posted a brief transcript of the currently rumored XBox 2 specs at:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/...426094105.html

Check out the processor specs: 3X 3.5GHz+ cores!?! At least I'm assuming it's three cores and not three discrete processors: note the shared 1MB L2 cache.

Pretty impressive stuff. Now how does this relate to "Future Hardware"? Well, given that the rumored release date of the XBox2 is hovering around mid 2005 right now, is this the kind of horsepower that's going to be powering the next generation of towers?

Egads!

-John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Hey all!

XBitlabs has posted a brief transcript of the currently rumored XBox 2 specs at:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/...426094105.html

Check out the processor specs: 3X 3.5GHz+ cores!?! At least I'm assuming it's three cores and not three discrete processors: note the shared 1MB L2 cache.

Pretty impressive stuff. Now how does this relate to "Future Hardware"? Well, given that the rumored release date of the XBox2 is hovering around mid 2005 right now, is this the kind of horsepower that's going to be powering the next generation of towers?

Egads!

-John

I think it is more interesting that IBM is already working on 65nm chips.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Fair game -- especially given the issues IBM has had going to 90.

Just thinking about this for a second: if the processor specs are to be believed, and if the 976 scales with clock speed in a similar fashion to the 970, a (VERY rudimentary) calculation results in the assertion that a "single processor" (three core) 976 running at 3.5GHz will be over 2 1/2 times faster than a dual 2.0 G5?!?

Again, egads!

-John
  • Reply 3 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Damn where do I place my pre-order at. That's some hot stuff right there.

It's definitely looking like the Xbox 2 is going to be a "Lifestyle Device" and not simply a game machine.

I'm thinking it's going to be $500-$700 and contain just about everything but the kitchen sink.

DVD Burner

Game Player(duh)

PVR

Music Management/Home Networking

Looks like Microsofts Trojan Horse into the home. It'll go where Media PCs cannot.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

DVD Burner

Game Player(duh)

PVR

Music Management/Home Networking

Looks like Microsofts Trojan Horse into the home. It'll go where Media PCs cannot.

Last time I spoke with my contact, still no hard drive. Makes a PVR somewhat difficult.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Just thinking about this for a second: if the processor specs are to be believed, and if the 976 scales with clock speed in a similar fashion to the 970, a (VERY rudimentary) calculation results in the assertion that a "single processor" (three core) 976 running at 3.5GHz will be over 2 1/2 times faster than a dual 2.0 G5?!?

You don't have enough information to be making guesses at how performance compares to current machines.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Last time I spoke with my contact, still no hard drive. Makes a PVR somewhat difficult.

Yes understandable. I assume that MS will be offering Good/Better/Best models.

If this diagram is correct there definitely is support for a HD in the ASIC. I have to think that MS is going to tailor this much like Sony's PSX system as not "just" a game machine but a whole entertainment device.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    roosterrooster Posts: 34member
    Could the CPU be a CELL-processor jointly developed from IBM and Sony?

Rooster
  • Reply 8 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The Cell won't be so conventional.

As for the Xbox 2, it's just going to be another failed attempt for MS. XBox 1 lost them about 200 million dollars or something (maybe more). XBox 2 won't lose them as much because fewer people will buy it. People won't pay 500-700 dollars for a crappy lifestyle device, and they won't pay that much for a crappy game console.

Unless MS finds some crazy way to get *games that don't suck serious ass* on their platform, it's sunk. (and they won't, because good game programmers would rather program for PS2 or 3. . . long story, but just realize this is the case.)

Anyway, it seems hard to understand how MS is going to deal with a device that should cost in the $1200 range at least other than to simply hemorrage money the way they do with the Xbox right now.

Bottom line: I don't think the "976" is going to be in the Xbox 2.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The Cell won't be so conventional.

As for the Xbox 2, it's just going to be another failed attempt for MS. XBox 1 lost them about 200 million dollars or something (maybe more). XBox 2 won't lose them as much because fewer people will buy it. People won't pay 500-700 dollars for a crappy lifestyle device, and they won't pay that much for a crappy game console.

Unless MS finds some crazy way to get *games that don't suck serious ass* on their platform, it's sunk. (and they won't, because good game programmers would rather program for PS2 or 3. . . long story, but just realize this is the case.)

Anyway, it seems hard to understand how MS is going to deal with a device that should cost in the $1200 range at least other than to simply hemorrage money the way they do with the Xbox right now.

What is $200 million to Microsoft. It is like you or me loosing a penny. Means absolutely nothing. MS will win the game console market. Why? Because they can afford to loose a billion dollars a year and not even blink. Hell they may make an X-box with those specs and sell it for the same amount and absolutely crush the competition. MS will win, no doubt about that at all.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

You don't have enough information to be making guesses at how performance compares to current machines.

You're correct ... thus the "VERY rudimentary" qualifier. I simply went clock-to-clock.

Do you have any other information? The tone of your comment would suggest that you do ... please share, if so.

-John
  • Reply 11 of 27
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Would be nice to see IBM master 90nm first before moving on to other endeavors.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    [deleted]
  • Reply 13 of 27
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

I have lots of information, but it is all covered by NDA. Suffice it to say that I read many of these postings with a great deal of amusement.

AARRGH, bastard! We also want to know.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

I have lots of information, but it is all covered by NDA. Suffice it to say that I read many of these postings with a great deal of amusement.

This MUST be bloody entertaining for you, then!

Well, if the 976 specs are anywhere near what's shown in the block diagram, I'm impressed.

-John
  • Reply 15 of 27
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

One doesn't even need an NDA to read FH with amusement!

Agreed!

The best $46.00 spent every month is AI in broadband. The rest is gravy.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I guess it's gone to your head then. Try some humility.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Your right that it's not the 976.

Microsoft is having their processor designed for them specifically. They are doing the same thing Sony is doing with IBM only Sony is using a technology that is pretty much the first of it's kind. Apple will probably follow in this direction (integrating some CELL technology into it's brand PC's) depending on the results. I would hope they would anyway. But that is still a long ways off, and few processors past the 976.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    [deleted]