cats and dogs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Unless you've lived in the Australian bush and seen the damage that's been done by introduced species, I'm not sure you're really in that much of a position to comment.

• Reply 22 of 81
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Thanks for reminding me of what I said Powerdoc. But I hadn't forgotten.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Dude, if any dog can do that, it means you should be getting a dog. I mean, think what it says about the species....

No. Your average mut is not the brightest animal with with all those neutrons for smelling. It's widely known cats are on average smarter than dogs.

Plus there's no way you can take a drooling stinky dog to bed with you to use as a self-heating cuddling pillow. Cats are the best cuddling pillows (especially when they puuuuur) with the possible exception of obese hamsters.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    cat: the other white meat.

In his youth, my dad had a male weimeraner. A pretty big one at that. It would actually attack and eat cats. . . ever since he told me that story, I've wanted a male weimeraner. If you have some land, weimeraners are awesome. But they need land, and do not make good house dogs at all.

Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

No. Your average mut is not the brightest animal with with all those neutrons for smelling. It's widely known cats are on average smarter than dogs.

Plus there's no way you can take a drooling stinky dog to bed with you to use as a self-heating cuddling pillow. Cats are the best cuddling pillows (especially when they puuuuur) with the possible exception of obese hamsters.

I've heard the opposite. Whatever. Anyway, dogs are social creatures. Cats are not. Generally speaking, the most intelligent animals are pack hunting carnivores. There are a lot of dumbass dogs out there, via years of inbreeding (aka purebreeding), and mutts are generally quite intelligent so long as the breeds involved aren't generally known for being retarded.

Most labs and lab-like dogs are truly retarded. They are also fat, ugly, and irritating. The species canis canis is ridiculously varied. Some variations suck. Others exhibit intelligence far beyond that of any cat, don't shed all over the place, and look good. Why people in America like labs and "retrievers" is anyone's guess. (I put that in quotes because no retriever I've ever seen is capable of the act.)
  • Reply 25 of 81
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Dogs... to be precise an American Staffordshire Terrier....
  • Reply 26 of 81
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

No. Your average mut is not the brightest animal with with all those neutrons for smelling.

Just because a creature has a large nose and many neurons for smelling does 'not' mean that its brain must therefore, of necessity, be depleted of its powers. Coyotes and wolves have long noses, yet they are successful predators and are very smart.

Quote:

Many dogs don't drool. My dogs never did. And when they're sleeping, their mouths aren't open anyway. Also, they're only dirty if their owner allows them to be.

Samoyeds (large, white, fluffy sled-dogs) were bred to be sweet-natured and loving, because they were used as sleeping companions in the far north (Eskimos?). Each person in the family had a samoyed to sleep with for warmth. Any sammie with a bad disposition quickly became a fur coat.

I do like cats too; though if not raised right, they can become aloof and self-absorbed. A kitten that is well and truly loved and handled can become the kind of sweet, purring cuddler you mentioned above.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    I think all animals are wonderful. I had a kitten and a puppy who played together, rough and tumble. When they grew up, and I would walk the dog on a leash, the cat would walk with us, all over the neighborhood. I think it was really cute to see this little cat and this enormous white, fluffy dog walking together so companionably.

My dog was a wonderful friend. She was an enormous Samoyed, with black shining eyes, a black nose, and a happy black smile. She was stunningly gorgeous with her thick, white fluffy coat, and her full, fluffy tail that curved over her back. She had the sweetest temperament. One look at her sweet, friendly face and people would fall in love with her. She remembered sitting in my lap as a puppy, and sometimes - as an enormous full-grown dog - she would still try to sit in my lap...a truly funny sight.

I won't get another pet because I plan to do a lot of traveling in the not-too-distant future. But I love all animals. If you get them young and raise them lovingly, they will be sweet-natured and loving pets. Even cats can be sweet and affectionate - some more than others.

Cats are easier to take care of. And if you *NEVER* allow them to jump up on the kitchen counters, you won't have that problem. A cat on the kitchen counter is just unacceptable.

Dogs are more companionable. But they like to be walked, and that can take a lot of your time on a daily basis. If you *have* the time, then that shouldn't present a problem.

Go to the library and read up on dogs. The breeds have definite characteristics that you should be aware of beforehand. I did that, and picked the sweetest-natured, most beautiful dog. I never regretted my choice.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

As I'm an animal lover, I don't actually mind cats that much. But I would like to see them eradicated from Oz.

Feral cats have done some terrible damage to the delicate ecology of this country (far worse than wild dogs). They're one of those animals (along with foxes and rabbits) that should never have been allowed to come here. And, IMHO, we'd do better to get rid of them. The native animals are defenceless against them.

There's an environmentalist dudey name Dr John Walmsley who goes around killing feral cats and making "Cat Hats" out of them (basically involves wearing the cat skin on your head - bit more of a cat mantilla than a hat really but neat anyway).

So you are telling that the cats have changed the environment in Oz more than humans? The term "animal lover" on the pargraphs above seems to be in a wrong use.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Cat.

Unless you can get this dog (Windows Media).

crazy stuff!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 81
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    cat. i spent my youth picking up sh!t in a kennel for our dog. plus now if you take them for a walk you have to carry a bag of sh!t around with you. plus dogs slobber all over you. plusi just don't think they are that intelligent

cats do show unconditional love for you, at least my cats do
  • Reply 31 of 81
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Well sure, but do remember that the instant your eyes close the cat begins its night long ritual of stealing your soul.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

cats do show unconditional love for you, at least my cats do

This is what I'm saying here, you have to earn a cats respect, but once earned they can be just as devout as dogs.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Well sure, but do remember that the instant your eyes close the cat begins its night long ritual of stealing your soul.

• Reply 34 of 81
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    When getting a pet....don't forget that they sometimes get sick, and veterinarian's bills can be astronomical...

Dogs have owners, and cats have staff.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

When getting a pet....don't forget that they sometimes get sick, and veterinarian's bills can be astronomical...

Dogs have owners, and cats have staff.

Absolutely.

I've held off getting a dog cause I don't want one I can't care for properly (regular visits to the vet, plenty of exercise, not left alone too much, etc).

Ever see that "Animal Precinct" show on, I think, The Learning Channel? SPCA cops taking away pets that literally dying from lack of care.

From the ones I've seen, it appears that straight up abuse is less frequent than just stone stupid fools that can't figure out that that huge growth on the side of their pet's head might be a bad sign. Or that leaving a dog chained to a gutter down pipe in sub zero weather is, like, bad for it.

Why do the poorest, most ignorant people on earth always seem to have a dog? (as opposed to the craziest people, who always seem to have cats)
  • Reply 36 of 81
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Also keep in mind that dogs are a lot higher maintenence than cats. Make sure you have the time for a dog too.

If you're frequently busy or work all the time, it's going to be tough on the dog.

I have cats. Love them. Tons of personality.

All I have to do is put down food and fresh water for them. Extremely low maintenence.

I'm not fond of dogs. Mainly because my neighbors can't seem to control their pets and the dogs never stop f-ing barking.

Hell with that. I like my nice quiet furry cats.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    cats are good, and doglets are good (doglets=little dogs, ie weiner dogs, chihauha, or however you spell that, etc...)
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

cats are good, and doglets are good (doglets=little dogs, ie weiner dogs, chihauha, or however you spell that, etc...)

Reminds me of an old far side cartoon: and enormous wooden dachshund has been wheeled up to the gates of the walled city, and the guard on the wall is shouting to the gate keepers "Open up! It's one of them giant wiener dogs!"
  • Reply 39 of 81
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i don't think i've ever seen that one, my fave is the "inconvenience store" where the only shelf is at the top of the store near the roof.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    When I met my wife, she had an old cat. We do have now our second dog (the first one died after getting a stroke). We got both from an animal shelter. We live at the (literal) edge of the city, the woods are only a few 100 feet away, so walking the dog is not much of a problem.

You have to take a walk with them, (several times) each day, no matter if it's raining or ice cold - no excuses. As I am sitting the most days in a bureau, I use it an 'enforcement' to get a bit fresh air every day, so I always do at least the late night walk.