Apple's ugliest designs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    While the specs at the time were cool, the uglyest thing with an apple logo IMCO, is the 20th anniv. speacial edition, and the price, $10,000 if mem. serves.

but the uglyest macs are better than this:

http://home.c2i.net/jcg/cp5726-filer/image001.jpg
  • Reply 22 of 45
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Personally I think the PowerMac G3 All-In-One was uglier than either the 500 series or the 5000 series Performas. None of them look very good, but the AIO takes the cake for ugliness as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed! 7th grade library time was spent on those beasts.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Please explain the original toilet seat iBook to me then. In my opinion, the original ones never looked good. Not then, not now, not in the future.

Hah. I must completely agree with you on that... So glad they aren't making them like that anymore. Now of course they WERE in fact very durable, but thats about all they had going for 'em. I'd like to see (if not already done) one photoshopped onto a toilet.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    In my opinion, it was the perfect extension as the portable iMac.

As Ive said it best, "It's like the future yesterday...now what if George Jetson had a computer? That's the perfect way of capturing the problem."
  • Reply 25 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I have to second the PowerMac 4400. Ugliest. Mac. Ever. The 7100 gets dishonorable mention.

The Macintosh Portable was a pretty dubious looking thing, too.

Really, the great offense of most late-80's to mid-90's Macs is sheer blandness. The Mac II? Sure, it sold well, and the IIfx was a real powerhouse. But... meh. The 840av? A super-hot machine. But... meh. And so forth.

Even though I loved my 8600, and even though it was about as good-looking as the beige Macs got, I'll take any kind of iMac over its square beige tower esthetically.

The worst design post-iMac was the last iteration of the G3 iBook, with that spartan, squared-off shell in matte white plastic. That only looked good next to PC notebooks.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Worst Macs

---------

Original Wooden Box Apple 1

A Mac is not an Apple, dummy.

8)
  • Reply 27 of 45
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

You can't look back and call something ugly really. That was good looking for it's time. That is how computers were back then. The plain fact it had SOME curves was pretty good.

I find this reply helpfull

seriously, i don't understand that thread either.

guys open your eyes and take computer design (inc. apple) as it was and is: evolution to something better. Step by step. And don't isolate certain pieces in order to compare it with actual aestetical standards. Evolution is the keyword here.

Well, stop blaming apple for bad industrial design. This is simply pathetic. Yes it is
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Typically the solution is so understated with Apple, the nature of the solution completely belies the complexity of the problem it is actually solving....wait, I didnt say that, Jonathan Ives did.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

FLOWER POWER iMAC

That was just HORRENDOUS

With regards to actual design, the LC II and such were just big plastic rectangles that were pretty damn ugly

AMEN!
  • Reply 30 of 45
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

I find the G5 to be pretty ugly

The G5 is all sex baby.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Key Lime clamshell iBook. What the hell was Apple thinking? Not only did it look like a toilet seat, but it could be seen from the surface of the moon! *shudder*

I didn't have much of a problem with the Flower Power iMac. It was cool for the very small niche market that it served. I actually wanted a Blue Dalmation iMac for a while there. There was just something about it that I REALLY liked.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti:

The G5 is all sex baby.

Then I guess you think this is too...

Seeing as they're kissing cousins and all...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    There is no doubt in my heart that the FLOWER POWER IMAC was the ugliest mac EVAR!!
  • Reply 34 of 45
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Apple's ugliest design? That's easy, Mac OS X.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Hey... for all FLOWER POWER IMAC haters... it is treated as a collectable item now.. live with the fact.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

• Reply 37 of 45
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

The G5 is all sex baby.

Actually, I think exactly the opposite. To me, it looks like "all work and no play".

The marketers wanted something that looked like a serious machine, to counter Apple?s image as just a ?fun computer? company. I think that they achieved that with the G5, inside and out, but the design does not excite me. On the other hand, I liked the FlowerPower iMac. But I guess that I am part of the problem, not part of the solution.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

HERETIC!! *C'mon guys, let's teach this infidel a lesson!*
  • Reply 39 of 45
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

well, by no stretch of my imagination i thought about that possibility. hm.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I'm going to admit that the Dell server doesn't look bad. Not particularly good, either, though.

I thought Key Lime was a great color. It was hours of retina-burning fun.