Apple's ugliest designs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    kjm1863kjm1863 Posts: 20member
    The ugliest without a doubt...the All-in One (Beige) G3/266. Not only ugly, but it must be the heaviest also!
  • Reply 42 of 45
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Apple's ugliest design? That's easy, Mac OS X.

Hm, I would have REALLY voted for Classic. Anything before 7.x.

Another point: Everything is bound to its time. It is not fair to pick a model from the 1970s or 1980s and tell it is ugly. It may be, to today's criteria - but to tell with its time whether it was ugly or not, you have to know what the other computers looked at that time. A Mac of the 80's may look ubly, but if the VIC-20s, Commodore-64s, or Spectravideos don't turn you on .. is it fair to say it was ugly? If it was uglier than something by that time, maybe then.

For some reason, I like the 1980s box models. And for a reason I don't quite comprehend, I like even the Quadras (from 1991-2). I would like to buiuld a G4 or a G5 inside a Quadra, just .. to have the punk attitude. Just to prove that you can build your own lego Macs, and are not limited to the designs you get as default.

And to prove that not every design has to please everyone. You might hate the Quadra look, but I might like the Quadra for its guts - a G5 inside could make a difference.

Similarly, a dalmatian iMac or some other, more .. design solutions did not have to please everyone. By that time every computer had looked the same (ugly beige boxes from the PC world), and the 5 iMac colors were not new any more.

Cube is sweet. I would probably vote that as the sweetest design. If it could / when it can have a G5 inside, I want one.

Probably Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) would get my vote as one of the ugliest. Just because I've never been a fan of that tonality of blue, and the desing just does not turn me on.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    The apple 1 or I whatever it was and it's ridiculous wooden box followed closely by the lisa

In no way, shape or form can you call OS X ugly!! Even window users want to emulate it.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Almost everything Apple has done has some merits to it. I really liked the beige models of the 1990s. They were handsome and friendly in a humble way. The one I don't like was the Mac IICX, which was just a boring square. In terms of software I would say the Quicktime 4 player and Sherlock 1 and 2.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Worst:

4400 - I had one, and it grew on me initially. I wondered why everybody hated it. It wasn't that bad on the eyes. Then, I tried to open it up to work on it... Now I have eternal understanding.

The G5 - Yeah, it is well built, an engineering feat, a work of art, every detail thought of... but it is still uglier than Steve Ballmer in a thong.

Best:

The Power Mac 86/9600 case.

The El Capitan case.

The MDD case. (No, it is not an El Capitan. It is radically different internally, and very different externally. A drop down door does not automatically make any case an El Capitan.)

IIsi

LC/LC II/LC III