Help in Setting up ADSL modem (newbie)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi - I received my new ibook today and took my first steps in apple world!

I have a problem though in setting up my ADSL modem which I had previously been using with my PC. I got the modem as part of a broadband package with BT (UK here). I have all the original set up cd's from them so thought it would be quite simple.

However,the set up process runs along and says its installing the drivers and stuff and then restarts the computer.

It comes up with a icon on the desktop saying ADSL modem, but nothing esle, it is not in my network places, the only thing I see there is the internal 56k modem and something to do with ethernet???

I realise this probably isn't enough information to analysis the problem, but is there anything obvious I am doing wrong???

I know the modem is working as I am typing this on the PC and using it!

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Did you run the setup process on the PC or the iBook? It's not so clear, and I'd be surprised to see a company writing installers for OS X, especially when you don't need them.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151979

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 30
    oisleepoisleep Posts: 14member
    I phoned the company that provides me with the broadband service and they say that the USB ADSL modem that I have will not work with Panther (I bought the modem about a year or so ago)

Does this make sense?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Is there any other output (RJ45-LAN) other than USB?

What kind of a modem is that? Post manufacturer/model, so it will be easier for anyone to help you out.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    USB modems often require specific drivers and it is quite likely that there is no driver for Panther if the company didn' write one.

Buy a DSL router. You configure it via HTTP and and computer can use it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    My heart sinks every time I see someone who got a USB modem for their broadband internet connection.

*sigh* \

If at all possible, see if you can exchange it for a real ethernet-based modem. ethernet modems are much more "plug and play" worthy. Literally anything with an ethernet port can plug into it. No need for special drivers or installations on the Windows or Mac side.

When I had DSL service a few years ago, I had to make a special request for an ethernet modem. They made some BS claim about not supporting something with it, but it was all a bunch of lies. Once I got the modem, I simply plugged it in and it worked no questions asked. I honestly don't know why they try locking you into proprietary USB devices like this.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Is there any other output (RJ45-LAN) other than USB?

What kind of a modem is that? Post manufacturer/model, so it will be easier for anyone to help you out.

All i know is that it is a "BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem"

I used to use this with my PC broadband connection so was hoping it would be compatible when I switched across to mac

In laymans terms what is a DSL router, is it the same thing as an ethernet router, if so what is that? If I buy a router do I also have to buy a modem, or does it all come as one thing?

I told you I was a novice
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Router is a device which "routes" network traffic, it simply takes a pocket and sends it somewhere.

A DSL router is a router with built-in support for DSL connection management.

Basically you can have your broadband connection being handled in 2 ways:

---------------------------

1. You have your DSL modem connected to your computer.

Your computer handles the connection (it "dials in"), in other words it controls the dsl modem.

Your modem can't be controlled by your mac as there are no drivers for OS X for that particular modem. Since it uses USB connection, OS needs to know what's being connected to USB ports, etc...

SO IT WON'T WORK.

What can you do?

You can call your provider and check if they can give you a different model with a LAN port instead of USB. your mac won't have any problems with a modem connected through LAN port.

------------------------------

2. You can get a wired/wireless dsl router + you still have to exchange your modem

A dsl router can do the following for you:

a) it controls your modem, so your computer won't have to do that. You can set it up so it is always on-line, turn on your mac, and you're on the internet, no "dialing". Always on connection.

b) Additionally often dsl routers provide more than one lan ports, so you can connect multiple computers to it and have them all share your internet connection.

c) Often dsl routers offer additional services such as firewall, DMZ, port forwarding, traffic logging etc...

------------------------------

To sum it up:

You will have to exchange your modem for something non-usb (you need a LAN port and not USB). If your provider won't do it for you, you can buy one cheap i'm sure.

You don't have to use dsl router. It's up to you.

Personally i like to use it, as they are not expensive, and give you lots of options, plus always-on connection is really convenient.

Since you're using an iBook, consider wireless dsl router.

With that you can walk around with your laptop and be connected to the internet at the same time.

Once you do that, there's no coming back to wired connection, it's just soooo convenient.

Consider if advantages are worth the cost. And remember that you DO NOT have to buy apple base station as your wireless dsl router, there are many many others, cheaper and with more options. They are harder to set-up, but you'll save some cash.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    segovius, i was replying at the same time as you were, so i did not see your reply.

I didn't mean to say that apple base stations are bad (i use one myself at home, and have 18 of them here at work), i was trying to say that there is a cheaper hardware out there doing the same thing.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    many thanks for the reply piwozniak (or should I say dziekuje bardzo!)

If I got any 802.11g wireless dsl router would this be compatible with the airport extreme card (which I assume I would have to get)

Do you recommened any wireless dsl routers other than apple's one (which looks a bit pricey)

Many thanks again for the help

I think its not just first steps in the apple world for me but first steps in any computing world, i'll get there
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Hi

Start with the DSL modem :-)

Yes you will need an airport card for your iBook.

As far as wireless routers...

personally i like linksys, they look like crap :-), but they work well.

There are many others, and in theory ;-) they all should work.

If you want to spend a bit more, apple base station is good choice as well.

With apple BS you can connect your printer to BS' USB port, and print wirelessly. Just make sure your printer is one of the supported ones, or if you planning to buy one make sure it will work with apple BS.

Apple BS pros:

- easy to set-up (hey, it's apple)

- rendezvous support,

- USB port so you can print documents from your sofa :-)

- status of DSL connection displayed on menu bar (not a big thing , but nice)

- easy management through AirPort admin utility.

did i mention easy set-up and configuration? (this can be really painful on other hardware, where you have to use web-based interface, and something does not work, or you have all these options and you don't know what are they for etc...)

-WDS (you can extend range of your network by adding additional base stations, and they would connect wirelessly to a main base station, without the need of running the wire to each one, not big deal in a home environment usually though)

- they look cool :-)

- the ones with a modem can be connected to an outside phone line allowing you to "dial in" and access your network from any place. (but that can be also accomplished without using a phone line, so again, not a big thing)

Apple BS cons:

- price (compared to similar hardware from different manufacturers)

- range (usually shorter than of the other routers, depends how big your place is, can be a problem, you can extend it using a bs with an antenna port, but then you would have to spend more money to buy the antenna, plus you would have to buy a BS with a port...)

- one LAN port, you will be able to connect ONLY ONE computer using LAN (don't confuse it with wireless), if you have only one iBook, then it's OK, but if you plan on or already have couple computers, you will have to either buy a hub, or equip them with WIFI cards to connect them all to a BS)

- no built-in firewall, and many other options found on other dsl routers. Most people do not use DMZ, and since you're using mac firewall is not as big of an issue as on a PC side, (you can always use one built into OS X), but still..)

It all depends how much you want to spend.

If price difference will be acceptable for you and you don't feel to confident in setting-up your router, Apple BS may be a good idea.

I use one because i'm 100% sure it will work with my mac, i can monitor all my base station using one application, i can upgrade them all in one shot etc...

It really depends what your needs are.

Or to put it that way: If you live in an apartment building, or a small house, you're not interested in all the advanced features of some DSL routers, or have 1-2 computers, you will not regret $$ spent on Apple BS.

On another hand if you need more configuration options buy something else.

I hate to tell people to buy all that stuff, but when you go wireless, you won't look back. It's amazing. iTunes sharing, iPhoto sharing, browsing the web, and printing wirelessly is really something worth spending the $$$ on.

Good Luck.

(Nie ma za co, powodzenia :-) )
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Thanks again for all the help.

I think i'm tempted to go with the Apple BS sounds a bit easier to get up and running on it.

However, two things I am not quite clear about.

If I buy the Apple airport extreme base station, do I also have to buy a DSL modem, or does this come as part of the base station.

My girlfriend has a windows laptop, would this PC be able to use the wireless connection from the base station using a notebook card?

Appreciate all the help (and patience)!

• Reply 12 of 30
    Hi

Before BUYING dsl modem, check with your provider first, maybe they can exchange it for you for free.

Whether you go with apple BS, or 99% of any other dsl routers you will still need dsl modem.

Apple BS is WIFI certified, so it will work wit any wireless card in either 802.11b, or 802.11g standard. (short answer, yes, it will work)

HTH
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Hi - Welcome to Part 2!

So I have ditched the USB route, and yesterday bought a DSL router with built in modem.It's a D-link DSL-G604T.

I set it all up using DHCP and everything seems correct, but I can't make any connection to the internet.

When I look under network preferences, It has "Built in Ethernet" with a green light next to it. It also says "Built in ethernet is currently active and has the IP address of 192.168.1.2.You are connected to the internet via Built in Ethernet"

Which all sounds as though it is working however if I try to load any webpage in the browser it says it can't find server

In the router management page in status for WAN it says it is connected (using pppoa or pppoe) and gives me an IP number for that (81.155.149.225).It also says the LAN DHCP server is running.

In the tools section there is option for OAM test which has 4 options for testing F5 End/Seg which returns success but F4 End/Seg returns failure. I have no idea what this means.

Also all the lights on the router are confirming that all the connections are working, and the broadband service I know is working as I used it earlier on a PC.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Many Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Open up terminal application (go to applications -> utilities -> terminal

type in this:

ping yahoo.com

what's the output?

Does it say reply from.....?

If it says unknown host, try this, type in:

ping 216.109.127.30

Again what does it say?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    ok, for ping yahoo.com it says unknown host yahoo.com

for pint 216.109.127.30, it says

PING 216.109.127.30 (216.109.127.30): 56 data bytes

• Reply 16 of 30
    OK...

hey can you get on some sort of iChat/AOL chat, or something?

When you ping something, you should get a response from the remote host, in your case i don't think it works, which can few things.

1. your modem is not connected.

2.your computer is not grabbing proper IP from the router

3 dns

or something else:-)

If you are able to jump on iChat, then it would be much faster, as we can go over the setup, etc..

My nick is: piwozniak ([email protected])
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Hi there - unfortunately I don't have i-chat/aol here.

When I pinged the number instead of yahoo, what did that reply mean?

I'm really not sure what to do, I can phone the technical support on monday I guess.

Everything that I look at with the set up seems to suggest that everything is connected and working ok, all the lights on the router are on in the right places, and the router management panel shows the dsl connection and the LAN connections are all ok.

Do you think it could be an actual problem with the i-book itself?

Very much appreciate your time and patience!
  • Reply 18 of 30
    OK...

Steb by step:

1. make sure your cables are properly connected: DSL from wall jack into DSL port on your modem/router, and LAN from LAN ports into your LAN port on the iBook.

2. Press and hold reset button for 5 seconds, this will ensure that all settings are at their factory defaults.

3. On your iBook, open System Preferences , go to Network , from show drop-down, choose Built-In Ethernet. Make sure your setting are as follows, Configure IPv4: Using DHCP:

If you don't see this option, go to PPPoE tab, and uncheck Connect using PPPoE checkbox, then go back to TCP/IP tab and, make sure you have Using DHCP in IPv4 now.

Click on Renew DHCP Lease.

Make sure in your IP Address it says 192.168.1.2

In Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

and in Router: 192.168.1.1

IF IT DOESN'T STOP AND POST BACK.

Leave DNS Servers, and search domains blank, and click Apply Now.

Close system preferences.

4. Open up your web browser. Type: http://192.168.1.1

When you see login screen:

type: admin as username and admin as password.

Verify that DSL status is Disconnected

Lan IP is 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: Running.

5. Go to Setup Screen:

Click on Wireless settings.

Check enable AP box, and enter name of your wireless network in SSID box. (it can be anything you want, no spaces and better to keep it short..)

Click Apply

NOTE: At this point your router can accept clients oner wireless connection, dsl connection is not active yet, but wireless network is, right now IT IS UNSECURED, so anyone in range can connect.

It is always a good practice to secure it, check in the manual, they explain it there. Any questions, ask.

6. OK, now click on Connection 1 button (big square button, towards the bottom.

Enter your username and password in appropriate boxes. (check with your ISP if you don't know it, usually they give you some sort of a booklet with that info)

Make sure Nat box IS CHECKED, Firewall is optional, i would leave it UNCHECKED, until you verify all is working, then turn it on.

Click on Apply

7. Click on tools tab, then click on system commands, then click on Save All.

Router will restart, Go to Status tab, see if beside WAN it says connected, if it does, GOOD, if it doesn't.... the fun begins here, it can be many different settings, beginning with wrong PPP type (PPPoA instead of PPPoE), or one or more of these extra properties. First change PPPoA to PPPoE in Connection one, basically go through step # 6 again, but use PPPoE instead of PPPoA.

After you change it, do save all again, and check status. If it's connected, good, if it's not, you will have to call your provider and verify the settings for you.

8. If status shows wan as connected, go to Tools tab, and click on ping test button (on the left)

type in this in IP address to ping:

click on test.

it should say something like xx bytes from 216.109.127.29, xxxxxxxxxxxx

If it works, check if you can open any websites on your powerbook. If you can't post back.

NOTES:

As you can see there are many things that can be configured in different ways, Apple BS don't have most of these extra settings, so it is easier to make them work, but they are not as flexible, and you would need to use external modem.

DON'T FORGET to enable firewall if all is working well. AND DON'T FORGET to secure your wireless network. (check the manual, or post here)

Good Luck!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Piwo - many thanks for your time and effort so far with this, very much appreciated

ok, so far

at point 6 when I click on the NAT box and press apply, the check tick disappears?

at point 7 when i try to ping the address it says Network is unreachable

Other than that everything else checks in with what you said below, all the signs that it is working are there, it's just not!

What does the NAT thing mean?

I know the broadband connection is working as I have used it up until now with a PC

At least i'm learning plenty by going through all this!

Cheers
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I also meant to give you this information which I got from my broadband provider, doesn't mean much to me but it may be relevant.

It says (the original PC broadband modem I used) conforms to the following software default settings to be compatible with the BT broadband product

>RFC 2364: PPP over ATM (PPP over ATM)

>VCMux Encapsulation

>ADSL Standard Compliance ITU-T G.992.1 (G.DMT) (default)

I noticed in the modulation type in the router management control it is currently mmode and if I try to switch it to GDMT and apply it just resets back to mmode.

The same if I try to set up PPPoa connection and click VC encapsulation it resets back to LLC.

Does this mean that my broadband service is not compatible with this setup?