Do Not Back Into Stall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why do people care if you back your car into a parking space or not? You see signs in lots that say "Do not back into stall"? Why? What does it matter which way the car is facing? I remember an old episode of LA Law where one of the new lawyers was told to pull in only as some sort of status ding. I also remember a guy that was fired from a tire shop for backing his car into the parking spaces (straw that broke the camel's back?).

What's the reasoning behind this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    A lot of people suck at driving. So they shouldn't be backing their car into a space, cause they'll usually hit someone. It's easier to back out than it is to back in.

I always back into spots though, especially when I'm expecting high traffic in the parking lot when I'm leaving (like at school). It's much easier to get out that way.

But I imagine that the signs are there as a result of high damages in the parking lot due to people being backed into when someone tries to back into a space. Either that, or it is one of those lots with the one way lanes and the spaces on a diagonal, so when they pull out of the space, they are facing the right way.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea maybe. Next time I see it I'll look for a poorly placed wall or drainage pipe that someone might hit if they were backing in and not pulling in.

I find backing in so much easier in tight spots. When the part of the car that steers is going in last it make is easier. Plus like you said pulling out is a snap.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't ever back in -- never really thought about it before -- but I will pull through if the option's available.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Why do people care if you back your car into a parking space or not? You see signs in lots that say "Do not back into stall"? Why? What does it matter which way the car is facing? I remember an old episode of LA Law where one of the new lawyers was told to pull in only as some sort of status ding. I also remember a guy that was fired from a tire shop for backing his car into the parking spaces (straw that broke the camel's back?).

What's the reasoning behind this?

I have wondered about this before too, Scott. I've looked around those parking lots for some obvious reason why backing-in might be a problem, but I've never noticed anything.

Have you ever pulled any kind of trailer? I wonder how hard it is to get used to backing up with a trailer on the hitch. I'd love to get a 15' fiberglass (lightweight) travel trailer and take it to the mountains. I've looked at the Scamp, and am interested in the Burro (but their website sucks).
  • Reply 5 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I thought this thread was going to be about someone who pulled down their pants and sat on someone's lap in a public toilet.

Anyway, I would think it would depend on how the parking spot is angled. If it's angled with traffic, obviously you don't want to back in.

One thing I hate is when people pull through in parking spaces in order to face outward when they leave. A couple of times I've pulled into a parking space only to see someone else coming right at me as they're pulling through from the opposite parking space.

And in that situation, if it's a one-way parking lot, they're facing the wrong way when they come out.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I practice it both way
  • Reply 7 of 24
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    backing into spaces is obnoxious especailly if it's holding me up from getting parked
  • Reply 8 of 24
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Why do people care if you back your car into a parking space or not?

Well obviously in a garage, your exhaust gases will blacken the walls...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Well obviously in a garage, your exhaust gases will blacken the walls...

No my car have a particle filter
  • Reply 10 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I love it when people back into a parking space because it's "cooler" and they leave a huge gap because they can't drive for shit.

I will back into a parking space in certain situations. In the city I have a parking space in a tiny private garage. In the morning when I arrive, the other spaces are empty, so it's possible to back-in without too much effort. When the garage is full and I've parked headfirst into the stall, then I'd have to back out of the garage onto the street, which is far less convenient.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I think it's because of license plate visibility. You probably don't see signs like that in states that require front and rear plates. Just a guess....
  • Reply 12 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    perhaps to prevent this?

kind of confirms the 'bad driver' theory
  • Reply 13 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    interesting idea about the license plate issue.

here in MN i've never seen a sign saying you can't back into a spot, but the state requires plates on both the front and back of the car.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    In my apartment complex, back-ins are prohibited because the lot abuts the units' bedrooms. The logic being that when you start up your car, you might fill a person's bedroom with exhaust. If I lived on the first floor, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer that to having someone's headlights shining in my window at some ungodly hour of the night/morning. It'd probably trigger an alien abuction nightmare.

Anyway, it's a pain for me, because my spot is near the far end of an ever-narrowing lot. The space across from mine is open, so it would be a cinch to back-in; but to pull front-in is a three-to-four point project thanks to the narrowness of the lot.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

I think it's because of license plate visibility. You probably don't see signs like that in states that require front and rear plates. Just a guess....

Could be. In Michigan we have no front plate.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

In my apartment complex, back-ins are prohibited because the lot abuts the units' bedrooms. The logic being that when you start up your car, you might fill a person's bedroom with exhaust. If I lived on the first floor, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer that to having someone's headlights shining in my window at some ungodly hour of the night/morning. It'd probably trigger an alien abuction nightmare.

Another good point. That's what my complex is like. In fact my bedroom used to get blasted with headlights all the time. Not good when your bed is a futon and your eyes are at the level of the headlights.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

perhaps to prevent this?

kind of confirms the 'bad driver' theory

In that Beemer's defense, the car was hit by another car driven by a valet who was supposed to brake but accelerated instead. It was kept from falling by being stuck to the pickup's bumper. Still not a good driver.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    We used to HAVE to back in ....

In MN in the winter, with an old car, you planned for things like maybe needing a jump-start.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Backing into a parking space is MUCH safer (for pedestrians --not necessarily property) then backing out of one...

This is reason enough for me to try to back into parking spaces when possible...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

We used to HAVE to back in ....

In MN in the winter, with an old car, you planned for things like maybe needing a jump-start.

My brother and I used to park at the tops of hills or the up hill side of parking lots just in case we needed to push start the car.