Warts.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
On my fingers.

Liquid nitrogen hasn't done the trick.

Wart cures, please, wartorabillia, reminiscences, old warts' tales, whatever.

A discussion about WARTS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    try the chemical treatment which is basically salicylic acid in a gel base forced onto your skin by a tight bandaid... most brands will do the trick... it involves increasing the blood flow to the area...
  • Reply 2 of 44
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    From what I understand, wrapping a wart in a vinegar soaked cloth(or guass, or tissue paper) overnight will dissolve it. I'm not sure if it will dissolve it for good though.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Salicylic acid is (forgive me, Kirkland) gay. These bastards can't get enough of it. They LOVE it. I tried wrapping them in extra-strength plantars wart pads, the kind you put on your feet under a plaster, and no dice. Tried 'Bazuka' on them ('Bazuka that veruca!' my arse.)

They are now wrapped up in duct tape, which is apparently the best cure yet discovered.

But I'll try anything now.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    give the vinegar thing a shot.

I have heard that duct tape works well too though.

(funny how my knowledge of warts comes from a recent wart thread on another forum I frequent )
  • Reply 5 of 44
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    There are plenty of very effective methods that would help... but the number of options is rather severely reduced if you're picky about retaining the use of your fingers.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I recently had one in the crease of a joint on a finger. Pulled it out with a knife. Hurt like a bitch because there was a little nerve in there, but that's life. I just looked and can't even tell what finger it was on.

I probably wouldn't have chopped it out myself if it was on flat skin. That would likely have left a scar for 30 years.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh man, you want to talk to someone about warts, I'm your man. I have two very LARGE clusters of warts on the inside of the first and second toes of my left foot. They rub against each other constantly spreading the virus from one toe to the other. I've undergone three liquid nitrogen treatments and the last one finally did something. It was also the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced in my entire life. I mean, getting one or two warts removed kinda sucks, and it does sting for a while afterwards, but it's nothing compared to having large areas of your foot blasted with liquid nitrogen for a minute or two.

So, the two clusters are each about the size of a dime. Perhaps slightly larger. After two treatments, the warts were actually larger than they were before I started. I went in a third time and the doctor hit them a lot harder that time... I think my pain tolerance has gone up a notch since then because now a lot of things that used to bother me just don't anymore.

The warts have been beaten into submission. It took about two weeks for my toes to heal, but once the blistered skin peeled off, it revealed some heavily reduced wart growth. There's almost nothing there anymore. Next time I will insist on anesthetic though, because I just cannot go through what I did that last time.

The key with warts is persistence. There is no special secret method to getting rid of them quickly, otherwise the doctors would let you know. You can't cut them out, because they are living tissue and you'd be left with a big area with no skin at all, and it would get infected. A vaccine has been developed but apparently it doesn't work very well. Acid, freezing, burning, and laser treatments all take time and multiple treatments to really work. The rumored "duct tape" cure (cover the warts in duct tape 24/7) doesn't work either. Sometimes they'll just go away on their own (a couple of mine have done that).

How many liquid nitrogen treatments have you had, and how big are the warts?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    I've had three liquid nitrogen treatments ('cryotherapy': dig it) and still no dice. They're on my fingers. They aren't large but one or two of them are actually on the palm-side of my fingers, right where the prints should be. I have ten of them in all.

The thing is, I wrapped one of them in duct tape last week and kept it taped up for three days solid and that wart is, looking at it, black and (I think) dying.

Looking at some medical papers online it looks like duct tape therapy actually might work. My fingers are all silver-tipped, so typing is difficult.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I've had three liquid nitrogen treatments ('cryotherapy': dig it) and still no dice. They're on my fingers. They aren't large but one or two of them are actually on the palm-side of my fingers, right where the prints should be. I have ten of them in all.

The thing is, I wrapped one of them in duct tape last week and kept it taped up for three days solid and that wart is, looking at it, black and (I think) dying.

Looking at some medical papers online it looks like duct tape therapy actually might work. My fingers are all silver-tipped, so typing is difficult.

i was going to suggest duct tape
  • Reply 10 of 44
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Burn them off
  • Reply 11 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    This did it for me: http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/librar...p?hwid=hw61525

I had a wart on the back of my right hand as a young teenager that was nearly 1/2" across and 1/4" high, and the root went almost all the way through my hand. You could press on my palm and feel it. Nasty fscker. I was really embarrassed by it. It had been frozen a couple of times, hit with acid, cauterized, you name it. Nada.

*THIS* stuff did the trick first time out. The wart tissue is porous, so this seeps through it, but the wart tissue can't blister, so this stuff just continues through until it hits live tissue, at which point it causes the mother of all blisters... forming a liquid barrier between the wart and the tissue that provides it nutrients. The body moves to wall off the blister, and in doing so walls off the wart, starving it. Then the skin starts to heal the blister *from the inside out*, pushing the wart right out. Took about three weeks, but I don't even have a scar. Just a spot without freckles.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

This did it for me: http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/librar...p?hwid=hw61525

Now that's what I'm talking about.

On a lighter note, have you ever tried rolling a spliff with your fingertips covered in duct tape? Sisyphus I feel for you.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Hypothetically speaking.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i had a wart on my nose recently, don't laugh! seriously. they cut it off. it was a tiny bugger, but it stuck out sort of far imo, most people wouldn't have noticed it i bet. so far it hasn't come back.

when i was kid i had this huge one on the palm of my hand. the doctor scooped it out with this tiny scoop, luckily it never came back. i also had tiny one's on my fingers but luckily compound w did the trick..eventually
  • Reply 15 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Now that's what I'm talking about.

On a lighter note, have you ever tried rolling a spliff with your fingertips covered in duct tape? Sisyphus I feel for you.

Well there you go: God hates drugs, ergo, warts.

See also, the Holy Bible, the Book of Exodus. The Egyptians were notorious stoners, a fact often overlooked by biblical scholars. That, far more than the imprisonment of Moses' people, accounts for the severity of His wrath.

Imprison the Jews, lay off the weed, you get an unseasonable cold snap, max.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
  • Reply 17 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Stump water.

That's easy

Me: "What has four legs and flies?"

Water: "I have no f*cking idea"
  • Reply 18 of 44
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    I had a wart outbreak on my hands when I was a kid. It was a real job getting rid of them. One of these two methods finally worked but I don't know which because I did them both at the same time (I know poor scientific methodology).

The first involved the salicylic acid thing. OK I know you pooh poohed it already Hassan. Don't buy frickin' wart products. Just use some crushed up aspirin under a bandaid, maybe mixed with a little water. I was told, if you can get rid of the first wart that appeared or the biggest (often the same thing) all the others will go as well. Well, I did and they did.

But around the same time I also (under the advice of a little old Italian lady) did this Italian folk cure that involved collecting the same number of pebbles as I had warts then standing with my back to a waterfall while throwing the pebbles over my shoulder into the pool at the base of the waterfall and reciting an incantation.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the incantation. Maybe one of the resident Italians can help you out with that.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Of course, warts seem to be one of the 'diseases' most susceptible to the power of suggestion... which explains why so many fold remedies seem to work, and why no one knows by what mechanism various medical cures work. (Short of physical cures like cutting.)

If someone tells you method A will work, and you believe them, chances are it will.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    duct tape or a sharp, steril knife both work quite well. one is faster, one hurts less.

that blister stuff sounds cool though kick, i'll have to take a look into that, wife has one on her foot that she can't stand. she's not the knife or duct tape kind of gal.