The Bicycle Thieves Part Deux

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A year and a half ago I had my beautiful bicycle stolen. A Cannondale hybrid with Magura hydraulic brakes, a Syncros stem, a race saddle and Shimano downhill pedals. I was sad. I bought it back three days later from the bastard who stole it for £150. A bargain.

Tonight it was stolen again and I don't think I'm going to get it back. They sawed through an iron railing to get it while I was at Sadler's Wells theatre watching some a wicked dance show.

Join me, please, in wishing the fuckers bad things. Together we can make them suffer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I bought it back three days later from the bastard who stole it for £150. A bargain

\
  • Reply 2 of 32
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    My bike may be a seven year old Specialized Rockhopper, but I'd be annoyed if someone nicked it.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Sheesh, Hassan. Do you have a decal saying "steal this bike" on it or something??? I hope you have it insured. :/
  • Reply 4 of 32
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you'll need to put some kind of GPS broadcaster in your next bike. sheesh.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Maybe the thief isn't all bad. He could have just been oppressed by a stagnant post-war economy-- and forced to get a job putting up movie posters of Rita Hayworth. Maybe his bicycle was stolen? Sorry Hassan, but I have sympathy for those doomed to pawning the sheets off their beds, spending their last dime in expensive restaurants just for the hell of it, and slapping their precocious sons for complaining about something important!

Sorry to hear the stunt didn't end in tragedy for the bicycle thief of this millennium. What a bastard.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Insurance? Pah. We don't need no steenking insurance.

Oh fucking shit, yes we do.

Yeah, that 'Steal Me!' decal isn't a winner.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    It's great now there's no censorsing, isn't it?

'Fuck.'
  • Reply 8 of 32
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You Brits need some good concealed carry laws. That'd solve your bike-thievin' problem in a jiff. Here in the us, we don't have any bikes stolen. Hella homicides, but no stolen bikes. Steal a man's bike in the old west, and they'd string you up from the nearest telephone poll.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Steal man's bike in the old west, and they'd string you up from the nearest telephone poll.

no no no, that's a rope carrying permit you'd need for that.

man, get your facts straights.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

It's great now there's no censorsing, isn't it?

'Fuck.'

What now? When did this happen?!! And who's the motherfucking fuckwad that failed to notify my fucking ass?
  • Reply 11 of 32
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i have never had a bike stolen... but then again, i don't live close enough to my lab to bike in...

i have however seen bikes torn apart by thieves not smart enough to cut through a cheap lock...

hassan,

how did you find the guy who stole it last time?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hey, i'm in process of building one, and i have been waiting for my frame to arrive for over a month now.

I suspect i will never see it....

\
  • Reply 13 of 32
    George Bush stole your bike.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I got an extra bike you can have if you want Hassan but you gotta come pick it up. I got both my bikes from when I worked in a hotel a while ago. One was taken off of someone who had the bright idea of using a stolen credit card to pay for a motel room and the other was left behind by a crack whore. You can have the crack whore bike if you like. It does not have too many features but it does have two tires and maybe some brakes. It has no redeeming values except that the brand is Sequioa which is a great word. All five vowels in a seven letter word, a "q" and sequioas are nice pretty trees to boot. Otherwise the thing sucks hairy donkey testicles. But I'm generous like that.

http://www.pbase.com/image/28913982

• Reply 15 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

i have never had a bike stolen... but then again, i don't live close enough to my lab to bike in...

i have however seen bikes torn apart by thieves not smart enough to cut through a cheap lock...

hassan,

how did you find the guy who stole it last time?

Oh you missed that saga. It was great.

here's the thread from back then.

We were all happy.

Now we're all sad.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    So Hassan, what are you gonna do when you find out the same fucker who stole the bike the first time stole it and is trying to sell it....again? JK.

That sucks dude. Hope you find it intact.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    This just confirms the intelligence in getting a used, fixed-gear road bike.

You don't even need to lock it, because it's not worth the trouble for a thief to sell it, and anyone who decides to ride it away will fly over the handle bars within 30m of the place where he steals it.

Heh heh. It great when you come back, find the bike a somewhere other than you left it, but nearby, and a little bit of blood on the sidewalk. Fixed gears rule.

For those of you who have shitty bikes that are easy to steal, the pedals of a fixed gear bike ALWAYS move unless it's dead still. There's no sprocket in there, or whatever it's called, to keep the pedals still when you're coasting. Heh heh.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Fixed gear bikes are cool.

Poor Hassan! I mean, wtf? You really should?ve removed that ?Steal Me!? sticker. It's just too good of a deal when they see that to pass it up, you know?

You have a habit of getting your bike stolen, don?t you? You just only tell us the occasional story, because if you?d tell all stories, you?d be the murbot of bikes.

Well, I hope that sucker gets what he deserves, and you get that bloody insurance for your next bike.

• Reply 19 of 32
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    When I go biking, I'm like one of those crazy people: going to the restroom or at a store with my bike. \ BTW, my bike: Mongoose Zero G2.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Looking at the websites for comparable fixed-frame hybrids I see that I'm going to have to spend £799 if I want to get a machine as good. That's well over $1000.

The curse of it is that I never saw another bike like that one: it wasn't like those black Cannondale Bad Boys that you see all over the place. It was silver, sleek and beautifully minimal. Really nice geometry. I'd adjusted every damn screw on it. Changed the crank, the pedals, kept it clean and greasy.

It was fast. Even though it was a four-year-old model people still used to comment on it at the traffic lights.

Fuck.

I guess it's only an object. I'll just have to make some money and buy a better one.

Anyway. I must go because I have meeting in town and I have to GO AND CATCH THE BUS.