Coffee Drinkers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    i used to be the classic tea drinking Englishman until i met the missus who doesn't drink the stuff. For the last few years we've only ever bought FairTrade coffee, all the varieties we've tried taste great and you have the benefit of knowing your money goes to the growers and their communities and not to some git in The City. They also do FairTrade tea which i quite fancy a cuppa of now.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I average out at one cup of $1 coffee from the street vendor between the subway and my office plus two 16oz redeye's from Starbucks a day. The vendor coffee is truly awful, but I need somthing to open my eyes before I hit my desk and rarely have time to stand in line in the morning. I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks, but it's the only halfway decent coffee near my office. The staff at the one I go to most often seem to know me by now and give me every third or fourth cup for free. Which is nice.

On a Saturday or Sunday morning the first thing I do is start the coffee maker. I recently got a gift of a Krupps espresso machine that makes a passable cup, so if I'm feeling up to it I'll make espresso too. It's never as good as the real thing though. Nothing beats proper espresso made in a big-ass cafe machine (pref. a Gaggia or Reneka) by someone who really knows what they're doing.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    This thread inspired me to see if I could find a really good espresso machine for not much money online...I didn't find a machine yet, but I did find this site:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/
  • Reply 24 of 32
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I drink at least one double short latte a day. Then again I don't pay for it, so I can have unlimited. I frequent a local place mostly, but hit the Starbucks from time to time. Since Starbucks machines have become automated, I'm not such a big fan of theirs. Shots are weaker and coffees is worse than ever and cost more than ever.

I frequent the local joint that has couches, coffeee, food, and and a real community. Not a place with a name and pretty people standing around drinking 4 dollar drinks. Here in Seattle if i need coffee and Starbucks is the closest option...I hit their new drive-thru concepts. They are popping up more and more here in Seattle and look to become the true MC Coffee of coffee.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

This thread inspired me to see if I could find a really good espresso machine for not much money online...I didn't find a machine yet, but I did find this site:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/

http://www.casainrete.com/shop/caffettiera.htm

these are the real kind of.

That kind is good, lasts year. blue is ugly, and bialetti is not the only option. Check the local big italian markets, groceries, and delis. They have them.

That is what you find in most Italian homes. The electrical machines work if you have a bar, but the taste of these small ones is better if you don't make tens of cups a day - with the electrical you are supposed to throw away the first cup of the day, it tastes too metallical.

Go for a 3 cup version if you need for you only, get the 6 for when you have friends around.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I actually used to have one of those (not sure who made it though) and they make great coffee...but I never used one for making espresso. Are there specific ones for making espresso or do you just put in less water?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I drink many coffee per day : 1 to 3 if i am in the operative center. I never drink a cofee the morning, because it made me sick. I must be waken up for more than two or three hours in order to appreciate a coffee.

The best coffee is arabica or moka (more sweet), robusta sucks. The best coffee i ever drink was from Hawai : blue montains, expansive but great stuff.

I will also add that great coffee are better when the grain are molded just before the expresso.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

I drink at least one double short latte a day. Then again I don't pay for it, so I can have unlimited. I frequent a local place mostly, but hit the Starbucks from time to time. Since Starbucks machines have become automated, I'm not such a big fan of theirs. Shots are weaker and coffees is worse than ever and cost more than ever.

I frequent the local joint that has couches, coffeee, food, and and a real community. Not a place with a name and pretty people standing around drinking 4 dollar drinks. Here in Seattle if i need coffee and Starbucks is the closest option...I hit their new drive-thru concepts. They are popping up more and more here in Seattle and look to become the true MC Coffee of coffee.

Cafe Vita (5th and Denny or Pike (Pine?) and 12th) has some of the best bean juice in Seattle IMNSHO. Until I found a great roaster locally here in Chapel Hill, I'd have my caffeine source shipped from CV a pound of whole bean at a time. People thought I was nuts, but it was only $1/lb more (*after* shipping) than the mediocre stuff at Starby's, and once they tasted it, they understood.

Now? Strong's 161 Roast. Damn it's nummy, and a flat $10/lb.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I actually used to have one of those (not sure who made it though) and they make great coffee...but I never used one for making espresso. Are there specific ones for making espresso or do you just put in less water?

you fill it max with water. and fill the cup for the coffee full. not too full, just to level (too full makes it test burned).