Why don't more home have urinals?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Ah yes, i seem to have struck a chord with this topic.

The urinal / bowl combo is best if you have the space (and money) i suppose.

The alternative is this:

http://www.urinal.net/dairy_queen/

• Reply 22 of 44
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Well I must say this thread has really grossed me out but it is comforting to know other men are having the same issue as I. Geez you'd think toilet design would have changed by now to accomodate those "overshoots" cleaning that back part is a bugger.

Toilet design hasn't changed because it's mostly women doing the cleaning! ....and mostly men doing the designing. If more *men* had to clean up their own mess, toilet design would currently be something right out of A.D. 2500. Funds would have been diverted from NASA, the D.O.D., and the W.O.T. to the "toilet project", as a matter of national urgency (haha - no pun intended).

If *this* thread grosses you out.....hahahaha.....sorry, but as I said, I'll never be the same after participating in those earlier threads. After those, hardly anything could ever gross me out again.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Well hey! Good morning, Stephen. 9:00 AM Monday morning? Urgh.

No, I'm not from New Zealand (haha); but I always wanted to visit there. And no particular interest in sheep either.

You probably never saw the "bidet" thread here, from a few months back. After reading and posting in it, I'll never be quite the same.

I think I saw it, but I wasn't interested enough in procrastination at the time to read it?

Quote:

Along the lines of cleanliness, as was discussed at length in that thread, I just got an image of the tube arrangement (mentioned above) having a little "washing-up" device, activated by the press of a button (on the side of the tube). The washing-up issue would also tie in with the circumcision thread (and links) that appeared at about the same time.

The bidet thread had links to a toilet seat called "Select Comfort", or something like that. Bodily-function threads always seem to do well here. Not sure why.

Which reminds me of one of my gay friend's horror (he was a very delicate young man) when he discovered some of the personal hygiene devices used at some of Canberra's gay saunas. He described it as like a little tube used post-coitus to spurt forth water in order to lave the innermost nether regions. He looked almost as horrified at the thought as he was the time we walked in on a couple of friends one night at a debating IV... (it's a mark of what a gentlemanly young man he is/was that all he could say was "Oh, my goodness!" I, not being so gentlemanly, collapsed laughing)

I think he may be a little less innocent now, however.

Mmm, sweet sweet beer. If only I hadn't drunk all the single malt?
  • Reply 24 of 44
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Ah yes, i seem to have struck a chord with this topic.

The urinal / bowl combo is best if you have the space (and money) i suppose.

The alternative is this:

http://www.urinal.net/dairy_queen/

Always a guaranteed winner Satchmo.

Quote:

The funnel-like device that is is shared by everyone using the urinal also proved not to be a popular feature.

Jeez I wonder why!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Toilet design hasn't changed because it's mostly women doing the cleaning! ....and mostly men doing the designing. If more *men* had to clean up their own mess, toilet design would currently be something right out of A.D. 2500. Funds would have been diverted from NASA, the D.O.D., and the W.O.T. to the "toilet project", as a matter of national urgency (haha - no pun intended).

If *this* thread grosses you out.....hahahaha.....sorry, but as I said, I'll never be the same after participating in those earlier threads. After those, hardly anything could ever gross me out again.

Of course, if you had asked my mother (by strange coincidence also named Carol), she would have said that the shower really was the best place of all.

Did I mention my family is a bit? odd in some respects?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I live with four other guys. (It gets too lonely alone, and none of us are married yet) We are moving to a new place in Florida pretty soon.

Now I know what the first project is going to be.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

Urinals aren't needed. The best thing we men can do is learn to pee sitting down. This helps keep things clean and you never have "seat down/seat up" fights.

I honestly can't see *any* guys on this board agreeing with you on this one. Maybe if a few had fallen into the bowl in the middle of the night after the seat had been left up, it might change their tune.

To get this to happen, the wife/gf could disable the bathroom light(s) a few nights in a row. hehe .....and serve prunes for dinner. >>evil laugh<<
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I live with four other guys. (It gets too lonely alone, and none of us are married yet) We are moving to a new place in Florida pretty soon.

Now I know what the first project is going to be.

Be nice if you guys could rent that house from the Real World Florida, dontcha think? Great living room, pool, view. Probably already *has* urinals.

Are these guys ones that you are in business with? Just wondering. Bet you can hardly wait.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

I live with four other guys. (It gets too lonely alone, and none of us are married yet)

You make it sound like marriage is a normal thing to do. *shudder*

wheeeee... run out of beer, onto the shiraz (out of teacups ? I'll be a real academic one day, goddamnit!) See what happens when you live alone? Mind you, last time I lived in a group house I was even worse ? but I was living with French people... damn French wine and hash!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    what I mean is that three of them have steady girlfriends, though they are long-distance jobs. So we'll see, but I'm pretty sure that at least one of my roommates is going to get married fairly soon.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

what I mean is that three of them have steady girlfriends, though they are long-distance jobs. So we'll see, but I'm pretty sure that at least one of my roommates is going to get married fairly soon.

Ah. That makes more sense.

Insofar as it can in my current state of mental incapacitation.

Well, as Carol says, good luck in Florida. There's a place called Melbourne in Florida? (I read your place-description as an obscure reference to AFL ? a football code vaguely related to Gaelic football centred on Melbourne, Aus.)
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

You make it sound like marriage is a normal thing to do. *shudder*

wheeeee... run out of beer, onto the shiraz (out of teacups ? I'll be a real academic one day, goddamnit!) See what happens when you live alone?

Chapter in. Procrastination. Academic. Hmmm. Velly intellesting.

So I take it you are a grad. student?

Procrastination. You have no idea of the levels to which I have raised the art of procrastination. Even *I* have no idea of the levels - that's how high I have raised the art.

Right now I have 130 short stories to grade. That's why I am online, posting on a messageboard. heh (The stories were written by 13-year-olds - to whom the concepts of "paragraph", "punctuation", and "accurate quotation", are as if a foreign language. )

I love *not* being married. It's great. I'll never be married again. Once was enough.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Chapter in. Procrastination. Academic. Hmmm. Velly intellesting.

So I take it you are a grad. student?

The freaky Australian university system works like this:

? pass degree => fulfill all degree req'ts after normal term of degree (us. 3 yrs; in my case 5 years for a combined BA/LLB);

? honours => extra add-on year if you want that extra piece of distinction, and intend to go on to a doctorate; graded from top to bottom: first class; second class div a (2A); second class div b (2B); third class (aka why did you bother?). Generally involves 1/2 coursework, 1/2 thesis (c. 15K words)

? masters => if you fail your honours (>=2A) and can't go straight to PhD; assessed either by coursework or a 30K word thesis;

? Phd => usually progressed to straight from honours. 100K thesis.

I'm told that vis-a-vis the rest of the world, this is quite an unusual arrangement. Apparently in the rest of the world its usual to do a masters on the way to your doctorate, but the honours year effectively doesn't exist.

So what am I doing? I'm doing my second honours year, in Arts this year (Law was last year). This is theoretically more-or-less equivalent to a Masters in many other parts of the globe. I may be wrong on this. At any rate, it involves a 15-16.5K word thesis of original research - which I just got to length on. I need to have a chat with my supervisor tomorrow about it. Joy.

On the plus side, he seems to think that it would be a very good idea for me to apply for a PhD scholarship this year. I take this as a good sign.

As for academia: that's the ultimate goal, but its probably still at least 3-4 years off at least. I was actually referring to the slovenly alcoholism endemic amongst the academic classes. I doubt I'll finish studying before I'm 30. At some point I'd like to do a Dip. Ed. as well... not sure quite where this will fit in.

Quote:

Procrastination. You have no idea of the levels to which I have raised the art of procrastination. Even *I* have no idea of the levels - that's how high I have raised the art.

Right now I have 130 short stories to grade. That's why I am online, posting on a messageboard. heh (The stories were written by 13-year-olds - to whom the concepts of "paragraph", "punctuation", and "accurate quotation", are as if a foreign language. )

From my experience I'd add to that list "complete sentence" and so far as non-English languages go "declension", "conjugation", "agreement", and "syntax in general".

My brother's comment on marking when he started teaching IT Law was that he had never thought that he did much work at uni, until he started marking other people's papers. I can only imagine what teenagers turn out. What can I say? Better you than me. ;P Tutoring 16 year-old private school students is bad enough.

Quote:

I love *not* being married. It's great. I'll never be married again. Once was enough.

At 24, I'm extremely happy to have never been married. Long may it never happen.

It's not that I've got any problem with commitment (I've been in a relationship for 3 1/2 years) ? I just don't see what business the State (or religion, for God's sake) have to do with it.

Hmm. How can I relate this autobiographical information to toilets? Um... My Degree As a Toilet? Sounds too arthouse. This may require thought.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Of course, if you had asked my mother (by strange coincidence also named Carol), she would have said that the shower really was the best place of all.

Did I mention my family is a bit? odd in some respects?

Nah. Everybody does it. Anybody who tells you different is a liar. A LIAR I SAY!

Hell Staphbaby an early morning joint is one thing but hitting the bottle before the sun is over the yard arm is just plain uncouth.

Honours in Arts and Law.....

That good people is what you call a sucker for punishment.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vice108

My parents had urinals installed in two bathrooms in their house when they had them redone a few years ago. I must say - I like it. The primary benefit, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the bathroom stays much cleaner. Lets face it - it's the men that create most of the mess. Middle of the night misses and what-not. I hope my wife doesn't see this admission.

Vice

You should see my 3 year old son---it's like holding a machine gun on full auto in one hand.

Duck!!!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Nah. Everybody does it. Anybody who tells you different is a liar. A LIAR I SAY!

Hell Staphbaby an early morning joint is one thing but hitting the bottle before the sun is over the yard arm is just plain uncouth.

Ughhh... I'm getting my comeupance now, let me tell you... Those fucking birds better shut up, or I'm going to go out and bite their heads off.

Quote:

Honours in Arts and Law.....

That good people is what you call a sucker for punishment.

Yeeesss... so they say. Did I mention that I'm eligible to do double Honours in Arts as well (in History and Latin)? Bleh, back to bed: it's only 4:30 in the afternoon.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Did I mention that I'm eligible to do double Honours in Arts as well (in History and Latin)? Bleh, back to bed: it's only 4:30 in the afternoon.

Eeeek! I did Honours in History. If you're at the ANU, I hope the History department is still run by rabid lefties. (They used to make us call him Father Marx).

Grand days. Totally useless when it came to real life but still, grand days.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Eeeek! I did Honours in History. If you're at the ANU, I hope the History department is still run by rabid lefties. (They used to make us call him Father Marx).

Grand days. Totally useless when it came to real life but still, grand days.

Yep, I'm at the ANU, and what few staff are left are still pretty left. John Tillotson is my supervisor ? he's not exactly a raging pinko leftie, although he is pretty left-wing. He retires at the end of this year, for what it's worth, and they're actually replacing him (thank Christ). Other notable retirements recently include Doug Kelly (a sore loss) and Bob Barnes (who is, however, still teaching, and laughing all the way to the bank). Both were replaced, which surprised us all, I must admit.

I'd have to say that they seem less Marxist and more Foucauldian these days. I haven't actually done an undergraduate history class since 2000 tho' due to the bizarre way I've gone about my degree , so I'm a bit out of the loop.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

Yep, I'm at the ANU, and what few staff are left are still pretty left. John Tillotson is my supervisor ? he's not exactly a raging pinko leftie, although he is pretty left-wing. He retires at the end of this year, for what it's worth, and they're actually replacing him (thank Christ). Other notable retirements recently include Doug Kelly (a sore loss) and Bob Barnes (who is, however, still teaching, and laughing all the way to the bank). Both were replaced, which surprised us all, I must admit.

I'd have to say that they seem less Marxist and more Foucauldian these days. I haven't actually done an undergraduate history class since 2000 tho' due to the bizarre way I've gone about my degree , so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Ah sad, so sad. I knew they'd been hit hard but to hear the phrase "what few staff are left" drives it home. Back then they were all ex-Communist Party members who'd spent most of the sixties being shadowed (rather inexpertly it seems) by ASIO agents.

And of course, I didn't mean the crack about History being useless in real life. I often think in these troubled times, if historians ran the world we'd all be a lot better off.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Urinals aren't needed. The best thing we men can do is learn to pee sitting down. This helps keep things clean and you never have "seat down/seat up" fights.

i sit down. a few years ago i noticed that pee would splash up on my legs. i never recall this happening when i was younger. weirdness