4th Gen iPod--revolution or evolution?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know there have been theads about the next gen having a colour screen and video out. In essence almost a new product segment VideoPod.

But short of that happening, what else can you add to an iPod without turning it into a whole new animal. I can only see maybe a built in tuner or recorder. Perhaps the iPod has reached it's threshold in what it was intended to be...the best MP3 player possible.

So does that mean the next iteration of the iPod is simply evolutionary? In other words, just a larger capacity with the new all in one scroll/button wheel?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I suppose it could have a MIDI output, and function as a sequencer... what's the market for that? Nah.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I tend to believe that it will have the same basic form, but will incorporate the wheel & buttons from the mini. I expect (hope?) that the dock size will remain because of the investment in dock/speakers.

I also tend to believe that the iPod will move to a color screen, just as PDAs did while back. This allows for integration with iPhoto (Mac users only) and short QuickTime clips.

Larger disk capacity also allows for use as a data backup - sufficient for me to use on long business trips without taking another portable disk.

Pricing will probably have the same price points, but a lower end version with a 10-15 gig disk might be possible.

Revolution or evolution won't really count as you will probably WANT one as soon as you see it - that's what Apple is all about.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Everybody keeps assuming the iPod either has to "stay the same" or morph into a full-blown videoPod. It's what's in between that's much more likely: the photoPod.

Adding a color screen and iPhoto integration will be far simpler and more cost effective than jumping directly to video capabilities and iMovie integration. Consumers love digital stills, and far more of them have extensive iPhoto libraries than gigs and gigs of digital video footage.

Besides, no one wants to watch movies on a 2 inch screen, but stills are a different story. I fully expect the iPod with your entire iPhoto library on it to replace the wallet size photos we've all been carrying around for the last 80 years.

Lastly, I can't imagine a videoPod that didn't have still image/iPhoto integration also, but why do both in one revision? Nobody else in the industry has done "digital pictures in your pocket" right yet, so let that be the killer feature of the 4G 'Pods and leave video for the 5th generation.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Or split into 2 products...

My personal wish list:

Colour Screen.

iPhoto sync.

Built-in camera, mobile phone style but decent pixel count.

Blutetooth to swap pics with other iPod/phones/computers.

Bluetooth to use my mobile to dial up to sync with .Mac

Video output for photos to TV
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I'll take one of those.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    and I still think robster has one of the best signatures known to mankind.

~carry on~
  • Reply 7 of 22
    e-thore-thor Posts: 11member
    Part of the color screen benefits will be to display the album artwork of the "now playing" song, not only your iPhoto library.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Everybody keeps assuming the iPod either has to "stay the same" or morph into a full-blown videoPod. It's what's in between that's much more likely: the photoPod.

That's a nice thought but I'm not certain Apple has that luxury. The video handheld is already a reality. Archos http://www.archos.com/ has been doing it now for some time. Now MS is getting into the game. It will be integrated with their WMP software. Video handhelds are not one or two years away. They are now. In two years, they will be refined and cheap and not associated with Apple. iPhoto linkage is both obvious and late. IMO, the 3G iPod was a punt. They should have been more aggressive at that time. If Apple wants to remain the industry leader, they have to lead. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will make such a big move. I think they will try and make as few changes as possible, limiting their update to case design and interface tweaks. That is very dangerous though, because it gives everyone else a chance to catch up and introduce the next big thing. Apple does not want to be seen as playing catch up.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

That's a nice thought but I'm not certain Apple has that luxury. The video handheld is already a reality. Archos http://www.archos.com/ has been doing it now for some time. Now MS is getting into the game. It will be integrated with their WMP software. Video handhelds are not one or two years away. They are now. In two years, they will be refined and cheap and not associated with Apple. iPhoto linkage is both obvious and late.

Sorry Mac Voyer, while I agree with your last line, I've gotta agree more with Pulver here.

Pulver's vision jives with what Uncle Steve has been saying; based on what I've seen in the video business, I'm not convinced dragging your home movies around with you is a huge selling point. No way in h**l the MPAA's gonna let even Uncle Steve pull an iMovie movie store, methinks.

OTOH, dragging around your entire iPhoto collection around -- or editing it down to some slideshows with music -- is a no-brainer, at least to me.

I think the 4G iPod, however, when it hits, will let you play QT movies, but most assuredly not at full NTSC resolution. This is logical, if you guess that some scaled-down version of iPhoto will be working with it. Whatever movie-playout capability just won't be touted as a BFD, major selling point, or what have you.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Am I the only one here that thinks the idea of having a "VideoPod" is a really stupid idea? Someone please tell me i'm not alone on this.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by utmostcertainty

Am I the only one here that thinks the idea of having a "VideoPod" is a really stupid idea? Someone please tell me i'm not alone on this.

Yes very stupid. Adding video to a musicplayer is what I expected from PC companies who are bereft of orginal thought. Steve Jobs has stated quite poignantly that video is a foreground task. Consumers are already condition to feel comfortable playing video at home and music on the go(car, portable etc). While I do not dispute that there is a small faction of geeks who would like video portability I doubt the market is substantial and I'd hate to see Apple muddy up the iPod UI adding video functions.

Create another device if you have to.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    The thing no one has said anything about in this post is Keynote integration. Just think, instead of bringing your laptop to a presentation, all you have to do is bring your iPod, plug it into a projector's s-video or a tv's rca video in jack to deliver your Keynote presentation.

I really wouldn't care if the iPods came with the ability to play videos on a small color screen, who cares, it's 2 inches, what are you gonna see on that?

I would rather seen just an iPod that was capable of displaying video on a TV screen, via a minijack to RCA or S-Video cable. You can allready save video and pictures onto the iPod using it's firewire disk mode. so why not have a way to bring them to life on a TV screen or projector.

just my $0.02
  • Reply 13 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Apple is actually going off on a totally unexpected tangent. Steve's going to be friggin' pissed too - the fools at a major Mac news site have just leaked info on the new product.

Heads are gonna roll, baby.

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxxaddict

The thing no one has said anything about in this post is Keynote integration. Just think, instead of bringing your laptop to a presentation, all you have to do is bring your iPod, plug it into a projector's s-video or a tv's rca video in jack to deliver your Keynote presentation.

This would be awesome *IF* the iPod clickwheel could be used to control the presentation. Plug it in via the dock connector, get an on screen menu of displayable content, navigate that menu with the scrollwheel, and then advance the Keynote presentation with the forward and back buttons.

It would open up iPod usage in corporations and provide a "killer app" for the Mac platform at the Enterprise level.

In fact, the iPod could just *BE* the remote control for the TV or projector it's hooked up to for many apps. Display album art and iTunes visuals as you DJ, present photo slideshows (with music) from your iPhoto library and MPEG-4 videos from iMovie all controlled directly from the iPod clickwheel.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I think the overwhelming success of the mini has proved to Apple that the public prefers the simple and inexpensive iPod. It would be stupid for Apple to overlook this trend. I don't think that they will add much in terms of hardware.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I think the overwhelming success of the mini has proved to Apple that the public prefers the simple and inexpensive iPod. It would be stupid for Apple to overlook this trend. I don't think that they will add much in terms of hardware.

I couldn't disagree more. The mini is a great product due to its simplicity, small size, multiple colors, and yes, low price. Right now the only reasons the full size iPod line is still selling well is because the general public still has no idea the mini even exists. Aside from a few magazine ads three months ago, Apple has done ZERO advertising for the mini since it would be a waste of time and money, they could have sold three times as many as they already have (all with no advertising) if the could've gotten enough drives from Toshiba.

At least by the time of the Rev B minis roll around with 8GB drives and/or lower prices, Apple's going to have to do something beyond sheer storage capacity to differentiate the iPod line. Using that inherent greater storage capacity to do things other than music is the only way to do that.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not sure what part you are disagreeing. We both seem to agree how much demand there is for the mini. We both seem agree that the reason for its success is because of its simplicity and low cost.

You do add to the fact that Apple needs to do something to use up the extra capacity. I agree to that too. But my point is that Apple will probably add more software features (Home on iPod, etc.) that will help use the extra gigabytes. Making the hardware more complicated (adding mics, card readers, etc.) will increase the cost per unit when the industry trend seems to prefer simple, cheap units.

But of course if Apple can upgrade the current hardware (like a color screen) with minimal price increase (maybe an additional $10 per unit). I think it will be a worthwhile improvement.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I'm not sure what part you are disagreeing. We both seem to agree how much demand there is for the mini. We both seem agree that the reason for its success is because of its simplicity and low cost.

Seems we were talking at cross purposes. I thought you were implying the iPod should not have an increased feature set. I completely agree that it needs to stay as uncluttered as possible from a hardware design perspective, but that's the beauty of the proposed "iPod as remote" concept: it's all in software.

The 4G iPod should get the mini's clickwheel and a slightly larger, color screen. The ability to display album art, iTunes visuals, iPhoto images, MPEG-4 videos and Keynote presentations can all be achieved without changing the controls to the iPod at all. Best of all, these features are completely voluntary. If you have no use for them, you are free to ignore them and continue to use the 4G iPod as a pure music player with no penalty or extra cost.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxxaddict

I really wouldn't care if the iPods came with the ability to play videos on a small color screen, who cares, it's 2 inches, what are you gonna see on that?

I would rather seen just an iPod that was capable of displaying video on a TV screen, via a minijack to RCA or S-Video cable. You can allready save video and pictures onto the iPod using it's firewire disk mode. so why not have a way to bring them to life on a TV screen or projector.

just my $0.02

Oooooh. Ahhh. Hadn't thought in the least about Keynote integration. You make an excellent case for NTSC/PAL video out, though. I just can't see the MPAA agreeing with you. For all I know, though, you may be right.

While we're on the subject of 'things people hadn't thought of', what about adding a Bluetooth module for wireless remote control of your laptop? Or downloading ringtones to your phone?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Damon

While we're on the subject of 'things people hadn't thought of', what about adding a Bluetooth module for wireless remote control of your laptop? Or downloading ringtones to your phone?

Bluetooth? Not yet. Too limited in use and it will probably just drain the battery. But there may be more use for it next year.

Why is it beneficial to use your iPod to download ringtones to your phone?