The New G5 PowerMacs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 195
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Is the liquid cooling system on the new 2.5ghz macs using that technology

from Cooligy or was it whipped up by Apple directly?
  • Reply 82 of 195
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I could give a crap about Apple cooling technology. Water cooling is old news.

I can configure it in just about any system if I wanted it, but you don't really need it. Unless you burning a hole through your other components like this 970FX is @ 2.5 GHz.

PowerMac G5

? Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

? 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9800 XT w/256MB DDR SDRAM

? 56k V.92 modem

? 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

Not very expandable, or configurable for.

Subtotal $3,749.00

All of these systems look better $ vs. $

Alienware MJ-12 4500 Extreme

Dual AMD Opteron? 250 2.4 GHz 64-Bit

NVIDIA Quadro® FX 4000 256MB 8x AGP w/Dual DVI

AlienIce? Video Cooling System

Corsair 2GB DDR PC3200 (2x1GB) Registered ECC Server (upgradable)

Plextor PX-712A 12x DVD±R/W Drive

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround

Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard - Microsoft® IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - USB

AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System _

High-Performance Heatsink/CPU Fan

Latest Qualified Drivers Installed

Performance Benchmarks Documentation

Personalized Owner's Manual

FREE Custom Alienware® Mouse Pad

Free Alienware® T-Shirt

AlienCare: Advanced Technical Support

Free Shipping!*

On all Alienware systems!

Systems Shipping Within 7 Days!*

Purchase an Alienware system today!

FREE 90 Day Subscription to GameSpot Complete!*

On your next system purchase.

Six Months Same As Cash!

On your next financed purchase!*

Alienware Gift Cards!

Not sure what to get them?

So much room to upgrade, and add here it isn't even funny.

3.5" bays 6 - 1used = 5 open\t

5.25" bays 4 - 1used = 3 open

AGP = AGP

Memory slots = 4

PCI = 5 - 1used = 4 open

Firewire 800 = 3 open

Graphic ports = 2

IDE = 4

USB = 8

SATA - 4 1used = 3 open

Audio Ports = 3 + (7.1 surround = 8 out)

Network ports = 1

$5,625.00

The system is also down configurable with an ATI FireGL? T2 128 8x AGP (Better than the Mac) for 4,479.00

You can also downgrade the processor to a Dual AMD Opteron? 246 2.0 GHz 64-Bit for $3,525.00.

Still better, and highly configurable

The base System Alienware MJ-12 Extreme

Dual Processor - AMD

Opteron? 246 2.0 Ghz 64-Bit

1GB DDR PC3200 Registered ECC

NVIDIA Quadro® FX 1100

$3,545.00

I think I'm buying the first system I configured. I'll keep my current PowerMac for FCP, and something, but what I still have to figure out.

In your choice of colors too:

I'm partial to the bottom row, and I think I'll be going with either the green, or the black. Blue looks good too, but the green is probably my favorite.

I had to bring the colors down in photoshop to make the image less strenuous for dial up users to load. They were much more vibrant.
  • Reply 83 of 195
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I think you're forgetting the June 1999 update to the Blue and White G3s. Apple, in June 1999, boosted the speed by 50MHz and changed specifications of it's Blue and White G3s in early June of 1999 as a move to clear inventory. Then, in September 1999 Apple introduced the PowerMac G4 that began shipping in October of that year.

It can happen. This update screams "Let's clear our inventory for the next generation."

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner here folks.

Think about it, why else would the 2.5Ghz tower need liquid cooling unless IBM and Apple are streching the chip to the max?

Like Existence said, this feels very much like an interm 'solution.'
  • Reply 84 of 195
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

I wish Apple wasn't lying to us.

This claim cannot be defended

period

so true
  • Reply 85 of 195
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner here folks.

Think about it, why else would the 2.5Ghz tower need liquid cooling unless IBM and Apple are streching the chip to the max?

Like Existence said, this feels very much like an interm 'solution.'

stretching the chip to the max?

i sure as hell hope not as the 2.5Ghz is the first chip of the next generation
  • Reply 86 of 195
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

They are not even comparing the right Alienware setup against the dual PowerMacs. Try a Dual AMD, from the DCC workstation $3,545.0. before applicable rebates, and discounts. Comes with w/1GB ram <base/standard>/ a QuadroFX 1100, <base/standard> and other configurable options up the wazzooo.

These are Lightwave tests we are talking about here right? (duhhh 3D) Wouldn't you naturally configure the Dual Processor DCC workstation, rather than the single processor Gaming station?

The benchmarks Apple uses are often a little mind boggling. They often leave off the faster machines such as the AMD FX53 64 bit processor, which even though is only a single is pretty damn quick in many of these benchmarks. Plus can we see some more extensive bench tests with other programs aside from just photoshop I think this bump was necessary but the next series of revisions should include things that will still be current in 2-3 years like the upcoming pci-express and sexier video card options. I agree that the ram is not a big issue. How many of you are actually utilizing 8gig of ram for anything more than bragging rights.
  • Reply 87 of 195
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The comparison that counts is as a workstation to workstation (mostly in the graphic arts)

None of the systems I see mentioned as comparison units feature 8 RAM slots. That's the most significant feature right there.

Between the 64 bit CPU's, and the fact that you have two of them on hand, the 8 RAM slots in the 2 and 2.5GB models are the best future proofing feature we've seen in a PM in a long long time.

The PCI slots are adequate, PCI-e isn't ready yet, but will probably added in the next update, but still. 8 slots are a very cool feature.

You can add 4GB to your machine for quite a reasonable cost by populating all the slots with 512MB dimms. Funny, a mac that's cheaper to upgrade than a PC!

Yes, that means you have to throw away some RAM if you ever want to jump past 4GB, but the same would be true on any of the other machines peope have compared to the PM, only there, you hit the limit sooner, or have to use a much more expensive part to get the same result. If you're playing with video, or big 2-d projects, or any large data set, RAM, lots of it, is the best investment you can make. The PM's actually let you do this on the cheap, pretty cool...

The one glaring inadequacy is the lack of 4 HDD bays. The cases should include 4 hot swap bays (possibly Xserve type) right at the front of the unit. This really would not cost much to do, and by the looks of it, the new mobo allows the room, you just ship the units blanked out, and can even charge customers to order the sleds later on.

And where is a 1299 single G5 machine? If they can sell a single G4 1.25Ghz tower for that money, it's about time we get a 1.6-2ghz single G5 for the same cost.
  • Reply 88 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I totally agree with this. The 970fx 90 nano has only seen the Xserve, and the PowerMac, it's been in trouble since it's existence, and it's only seen a one time 500MHz update. THe thing is already liquid cooled. It sure looks like IBM is having as much trouble as MOTOROLA was. How do you know there is anything other than this in the works? It's all rumor. This is the exact situation Apple was in when I waited for the G4 to come around. Never happened. As a matter of fact. When the G4 came out AMD was still almost a laughing matter in x86 processing. Now they are the only ones giving intel a hard time, and I think they have the best processors today. Not MOTOROLA, or IBM.
  • Reply 89 of 195
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

The new Dial 1.8 has the 1.6 board...!

4 Gig RAM max and PCI!!

A shambles.

if you need 4 gigs of ram then you shouldnt be buying the 1.8 to begin with.
  • Reply 90 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

None of the systems I see mentioned as comparison units feature 8 RAM slots. That's the most significant feature right there.

It's not that significant. Who needs more than 4GB of ram? Not many people, and anyone that has it it's just for bragging rights. Actually - I think the 8 ram slots are probably the most insignificant, and over rated feature of the PowerMacs architecture. If they were to remove 4 of the slots they could probably add another 600GB of storage which is what most people would rather have IMO.

When you actually consider who needs 4, and 8GB of ram, and why you'll realize that it's the other features that the PowerMac does not have available which is what is most important to them. Not 8 theoretical GB of useless ram in a featureless UnderPowerdMac.
  • Reply 91 of 195
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    RAM is far more important that HD space. HD space does nothing for running a DB quickly. Hell screw the internal drive bays those whining about that are crackerjack prosumers. Digital Audio and Video guys use external RAID or FW drives. I wouldn't mind seeing more internal bays but those who complain do so because they want drives as cheaply as possible.

Funny that people bicker about clock speed when it's RAM that will make your computers sing. I'd take a computer with 8GB of RAM anyday. You want to do stuff truly in Realtime it's RAM that enables that.

The Opteron is fast not just because it's a good design. Hell it's marginally faster than the smaller 970 at the same clock. The Opteron derives it's speed benefit from it's ondie memory controller. Apps that respond well to the lower latency of the Opteron reward users with snappy results.

I'm not too dissappointed. We've become a bit too acclimated to our newfound speed and have forgotten the woefully days of the G4 stuck at 500Mhz. Look how far we've come.

WWDC approaches and yet the new displays have not been announced? That's interesting as they are rumored to be DVI. Could Apple be waiting for more graphic card choices before announcing them? I think that's a probability. The 2.5Ghz Powermac would look alot better with a DVI card option for a FireGL or Quadro and their new LCD.
  • Reply 92 of 195
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm not too dissappointed. We've become a bit too acclimated to our newfound speed and have forgotten the woefully days of the G4 stuck at 500Mhz. Look how far we've come.

WWDC approaches and yet the new displays have not been announced? That's interesting as they are rumored to be DVI. Could Apple be waiting for more graphic card choices before announcing them? I think that's a probability. The 2.5Ghz Powermac would look alot better with a DVI card option for a FireGL or Quadro and their new LCD.

I have to agree about not being too disappointed, except for the seemingly glaring lack of pro video cards, STILL!

At work, I have a Quadro FX 1000 (a lower end workstation card) and it spanks my G5's Radeon 9800 Pro in Maya.

If Apple is serious about pros using these machines, then they really need to do something about this. I hope your speculation about announcing something with the new displays is right.

Then they can make more money by selling those ADC to DVI adapters to people with older Macs who upgrade to a pro video card!!
  • Reply 93 of 195
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    If, as I've heard, IBM solved their 90 nano process problems 3 months ago, how long would it take for real hardware to hit the streets? I'm looking to see if my source jives with what's now on the street and vice versa.
  • Reply 94 of 195
    Shredded Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

RAM is far more important that HD space. HD space does nothing for running a DB quickly. Hell screw the internal drive bays those whining about that are crackerjack prosumers. Digital Audio and Video guys use external RAID or FW drives. I wouldn't mind seeing more internal bays but those who complain do so because they want drives as cheaply as possible.

That was my point hmurchison. From what I see in there, and elsewhere, is people complaining about prices, and the reduced internal drive bay space for expandability.

I think the majority of people "want drives as cheaply as possible." That's basically exactly what I mean when I said that 8 ram slots were over rated.

Even when I'm using Maya, with it's built in rendering, or mental Ray. Both renderers stop using additional ram resources when they need no more. I've loaded up scenes with pixels in the Multi millions, and they have never used close to 4GB ram they don't need it. Neither does Photoshop, Painter, ZBrush, Alias Sketchbook Pro. UT2K4, Americas Army the list go's on. . I cant think of an app I use that's actually asked for that kind of memory, but then again that was not my original point. It was about what most people were interested in, and I think it's Cheap HD expansion over another 4GB of RAM.

Take a poll. I think they A) #1 don't have the ram filled, but B) want more drive space. I think I'm right.
  • Reply 95 of 195
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    For those knowing French and interested, here is the ongoing discussion and reactions on the Power Mac update at Macbidouille. What a riot in France . I have the feeling that this time it is not simply whining, there is a real problem with the value of this update.
  • Reply 96 of 195
    stecsstecs Posts: 43member
    Just consider the outcry if Apple had been using Intel chips. Only a 400 MHz Jump in 12 months (13%)!!! Those lucky sods running IBM chips have increased 500 MHz (25%) in the same time...
  • Reply 97 of 195
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Roadmaps show it as the last of the current generation.
  • Reply 98 of 195
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    People are venting because they really wanted to believe that Apple would be at 3Ghz right now. IBM would have had to be flawless. I think they found that heat wasn't going to be defeated. Liquid Cooling portends a faster future.

Onlooker- I'd be happy to see a better card. Now not only do 3D enthusiasts need good GPU performance but video pros are going to want Motion to run as good as possible. I will keep my faith that higher end ati nvidia hardware is coming.

HW is only one way to speed up a computer. Tiger is going to be more efficient in ways. We're looking good here. Computer fans are high strung sometimes because it's a competition for bragging rights. The Pros making making don't care as they have to look at things through $green$ tinted lenses.
  • Reply 99 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I could give a crap about Apple cooling technology. Water cooling is old news.

I can configure it in just about any system if I wanted it, but you don't really need it. Unless you burning a hole through your other components like this 970FX is @ 2.5 GHz.

PowerMac G5

? Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

? 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9800 XT w/256MB DDR SDRAM

? 56k V.92 modem

? 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

Not very expandable, or configurable for.

Subtotal $3,749.00

All of these systems look better $ vs. $

Alienware MJ-12 4500 Extreme

Dual AMD Opteron? 250 2.4 GHz 64-Bit

NVIDIA Quadro® FX 4000 256MB 8x AGP w/Dual DVI

AlienIce? Video Cooling System

Corsair 2GB DDR PC3200 (2x1GB) Registered ECC Server (upgradable)

Plextor PX-712A 12x DVD±R/W Drive

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround

Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard - Microsoft® IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - USB

AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System _

High-Performance Heatsink/CPU Fan

Latest Qualified Drivers Installed

Performance Benchmarks Documentation

Personalized Owner's Manual

FREE Custom Alienware® Mouse Pad

Free Alienware® T-Shirt

AlienCare: Advanced Technical Support

Free Shipping!*

On all Alienware systems!

Systems Shipping Within 7 Days!*

Purchase an Alienware system today!

FREE 90 Day Subscription to GameSpot Complete!*

On your next system purchase.

Six Months Same As Cash!

On your next financed purchase!*

Alienware Gift Cards!

Not sure what to get them?

So much room to upgrade, and add here it isn't even funny.

3.5" bays 6 - 1used = 5 open\t

5.25" bays 4 - 1used = 3 open

AGP = AGP

Memory slots = 4

PCI = 5 - 1used = 4 open

Firewire 800 = 3 open

Graphic ports = 2

IDE = 4

USB = 8

SATA - 4 1used = 3 open

Audio Ports = 3 + (7.1 surround = 8 out)

Network ports = 1

$5,625.00

The system is also down configurable with an ATI FireGL? T2 128 8x AGP (Better than the Mac) for 4,479.00

You can also downgrade the processor to a Dual AMD Opteron? 246 2.0 GHz 64-Bit for $3,525.00.

Still better, and highly configurable

The base System Alienware MJ-12 Extreme

Dual Processor - AMD

Opteron? 246 2.0 Ghz 64-Bit

1GB DDR PC3200 Registered ECC

NVIDIA Quadro® FX 1100

$3,545.00

I think I'm buying the first system I configured. I'll keep my current PowerMac for FCP, and something, but what I still have to figure out.

In your choice of colors too:

I'm partial to the bottom row, and I think I'll be going with either the green, or the black. Blue looks good too, but the green is probably my favorite.

I had to bring the colors down in photoshop to make the image less strenuous for dial up users to load. They were much more vibrant.

Your post has made me seriously reconsider if it's worth it to switch.
  • Reply 100 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Roadmaps show it as the last of the current generation.

What roadmaps? Post one as a visual reference. Don't just expect people to believe you. H3ll I don't even know you!

I know my roadmap says Alienware,/2x AMD Operon 64 Bit 2.4GHz/Quadro 4000, and Maya Unlimited. It had to be done. 8 years of disappointment, and dissatisfaction was far to much time invested into this relationship.

[edit] I didn't even include the gaming possibilities. I've been wanting to play Starwars galaxies for the longest time, and that's just for starters.

Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I love Apple's OS but their hardware is overpriced and underperforming.

I'll echo that comment from the post below in this post. I love Mac OS. It's by far the my favorite operating system. I've played with, and occasionally used them all. There is nothing remotely close to the experience, but the hardware just isn't there.