Nick and Jessica: Newlyweds Show

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I don't think the ditzyness is an act, but I suppose there's really no way to tell.

I'd love it if it turned out it was-what a way to manipulate the game!

I've seen all the episodes and almost all of the "Jessica Moments" don't show a lack of intelligence, more of an extreme naivete or lack of wisdom about the most mundane things in life. That seems like a legit drawback to being a teenage popstar.

J
  • Reply 22 of 43
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Because we are a deeply anti-intellectual culture that confuses simple mindedness with the virtue of "simplicity".

Hell, we elected Reagan president.....

It's irony, that someone who argue for non-simplistic speech and logic, used such a blanket statement here.

There is a great lack of subtility here.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Did it ever occur to any of you that pretending to be stupid could be an act that has her and him laughing all the way to the bank?

Nick

But they might think they are not being stupid, alas, but what could be more stupid than pretending you are stupid . . .I guess pretending you are stupid for money.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Jessica Simpson isnt even hot. At all. Plus she's dumb.

Who would possibly want to watch this tripe on television?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

It did to me. Three posts above yours.

Cheers

Scott

DOH!

Great minds things alike.

Nick
  • Reply 26 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Jessica Simpson isnt even hot. At all. Plus she's dumb.

Who would possibly want to watch this tripe on television?

boobs.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Did it ever occur to any of you that pretending to be stupid could be an act that has her and him laughing all the way to the bank?

Nick

I don't know that she is smart enough to act stupid. And, it's not just blatant stupidity we're talking about. I'm talking about this "bored with the world" smugness and snot-nose attitude that she displays everywhere at all times.

addabox:

Quote:

I don't think it's gratuitous and I don't think it's off topic.

We wonder why America rewards "stupid people". I say it's because we're anti-intellectual and think of stupidity as being similar to straightforwardness.

One of the reasons Reagan got elected was his appearance of being untroubled by profound thought. Not one of those "pointy headed intellectuals" or "sophisticates". Just said what was on his mind and what was on his mind was easily intelligible to even the dimmest bulbs.

Much like Mr. Bush.

Now we can leave the actual intellectual status of these types aside, but the fact is much of their appeal is the perception that they simply aren't smart enough to be complicated, since complicated, in the American mind, equals untrustworthy.

It IS gratuitous and off-topic. This has nothing to do with politics. But to indulge you:

There is something to be said for Reagan's way of thinking. Sometimes simple answers are better and more appropriate. Often the largest of problems actually boil down to simple facts or even ideas.

I also don't think America equates stupidity to straighforwardness. I do think we reward the stupid and yes...much of the nation is "anti-intellectual". However, it seems to me that "intellectuals" can often over-think a problem or position. From a political standpoint, it is often better to examine the issue, take a position, and be done with it. Ironically, the "simple vs. complicated" argument is itself a bit difficult to define. There is of course a point where an individual doesn't understand all the facts, and makes a poor assesment as a result.

From my experience, and this is not flame-bait, liberals tend not to like clear definitions and "black and white" terms. They accuse those who take such positions or hold such ideas of being close-minded or even stupid. When did it become taboo to take a strong position such as "The Soviet System is Evil"? (just an example).
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I watched the marathon on MTV a few days ago. What a great show! Jessica might be dumber than a bag of broken hammers, but she's a sweet girl. Spoiled like crazy, but a sweet girl nevertheless. And Nick... I don't know how he puts up with it! Patience, I think.

I watched her refuse buffalo wings because she didn't like buffalo!

And talking about a scratch that Nick put in the wall moving furniture, she said they would have to "re-wall the whole house"!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Is it possible for people to lay off politics in some threads? Please? I just don't want this thread transformed into a politics thread because we have more than enough threads to dicuss those points in. Let this thread have its own identity. Not everything goes back to politics; not for a lot of people anyway.

I have to say, I like the Nick guy. Seems pretty down to Earth. Maybe he'll explode at some point after bottling it all up for too long.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    There are some TV roles that celebrate the stupid or thick-witted...

Coach from the early seasons of Cheers, and Woody from the later seasons are notable.

Both were performed by actors who aren't demonstrably stupid outside of the role.

Woody Harrelson has spoken eloquently about his later roles in Natural Born Killers and People -vs- Larry Flynt and was detailed in his analysis and self-criticism over each role's respective moral challenges. He dissected ultra-violence as well as Tarantino in NBK, and has gone on to become an activist for first amendment rights (perhaps in part due to the research he did to play Hustler's Famous Free Speech Litigant).

Having heard several interviews with him, there's no way I'd call him stupid, but the character of Woody on Cheers required 'sharp as a bag of marbles' delivery of lines as a foil for the other characters.

Hiring a real idiot to play an idiot would increase costs for a shooting script (couldn't master lines). If you were willing film it as improv and/or rewrite the other roles to thrive on the chaotic drivel from your idiot, it is possible you might not increase costs.

Far more predictable (producers love predictable) to get a professional actor to pretend to be an idiot than it is to get a real idiot and hope they can be a professional actor.

Only in reality TV, where the pressure is to use everything in the can... so as not to require more shooting days or reshoots... does the improv model (a.k.a. 'We couldn't write stuff that stupid, use what you get") stand a chance.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Only in reality TV, where the pressure is to use everything in the can... so as not to require more shooting days or reshoots... does the improv model (a.k.a. 'We couldn't write stuff that stupid, use what you get") stand a chance.

Isn't that what's happening with this show? It's not just the stupidity. It's the whole package. Oh well...at least she'd be fun to unwrap.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Jessica Simpson's stupidity is so old news she's now just an archetype. Can't say the same thing about the people around her, though.

And inside Jessica Simpson is a bon-bon fatass yearning to be free.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

1) Jessica Simpson is the stupidest woman alive.

How big percentage of all women alive do you know to make such a statement? FYI there are about 3,3 billion women alive.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why do we as a culture reward people like this?

Because a show about people like us sitting around pecking away in forums all day would really suck but wait it doesnt stop there her sister is getting a show in the next couple of months. You have to admit this show is not nearly as painful to watch as the Ozbornes. All that shaking, mumbling, money-spending and screaming drives me fucking mad.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    American Chopper is the only one worth watching.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

4) Jessica is hot, but annoying

She's like a 5. She has a butt chin and she looks like a guy. A third of the girls in my high school were hotter. And she's great at singing. Why is she famous again? It can't be her looks, she's just ugly!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    A 5?! How can you guys say she isn't hot? I'd love for you to post some pictures of your girlfriends or wives. Or are you the type that likes the anorexic look in your girls...the type of person that believes super models (the ones that are boney)

I'm not saying she is the hottest, but she is hot. I'd be impressed if you guys are doing any better..especially to rate her as a 5.

I don't mind my sister watching the show though, because it's funny how silly she (jessica) is and I'm always surprised at how down to earth nick is. He is independent and enjoys doing things himself. Like when they went camping

• Reply 38 of 43
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

She's like a 5. She has a butt chin and she looks like a guy. A third of the girls in my high school were hotter. And she's great at singing. Why is she famous again? It can't be her looks, she's just ugly!

Ok, her being dumb as a bag of hammers I can accept but she is in no way shape or form ugly. What the hell kind of High School did you go to anyway?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    No doubt she's very physically attractive, but smarts goes a long way, and her obvious stupidity probably would put her at a 5 for me too. But it's kind of an innocent stupidity, which is also a bit charming. So I'll go 6 for the overall rating.

My girlfriend may not be as physically gifted or visually stunning, but she is good looking. And she's pulling down a 4.0 while majoring in Information Systems at Carnegie Mellon University, all the while being a marine option in the Navy ROTC program. So I'd take her over Ms. Simpson any day.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

A 5?! How can you guys say she isn't hot?

It's all makeup and image management. Even with all of that, get her in the wrong light and she's a monster:

http://www.stickontheradio.com/jessica%20simpson.jpg

That site is actually a gold mine of examples like that. Example:

from this:

http://entimg.msn.com/i/75/mu/0212/m...ch_200x250.jpg

to this:

http://www.stickontheradio.com/michelle%20branch.jpg

It's all about managing the image. The same thing that keeps Jessica Simpson from being a whale (similar to Anna Nicole situation) is the same thing that has her mentioning her former virginity every other sentence.