Higher resolution screen.

And of course, a G5 on a fast bus.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:

but the slots are so cool
  • Reply 4 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You already know it's not going to be a G5 so why disappoint anyone else reading on purpose?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Tray loading drive.

Higher resolution screen.

Why do you hate slot? Only reason not to is because it can not take the minidisks.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I personally hope Apple holds off on the G5 PB until they can really do it right, including a 2.0 gig G5, 1 gig FSB, faster memory and SATA HDs.

I believe that the move to a G5 for the PM should represent a significant leap in performance, just as the G5 did last year over the G4 PMs.

I have a feeling that a G5 PB that kicks @ss will also need to have a spare battery if you want 5 hours of use . . .
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I'd like to see a dual CPU or dual-core option. OS X feels so much more 'fluid' with 2 CPUs that it almost seems better to have two 1GHz (low power, low heat) G4 CPUs than one 1.6GHz G5. But perhaps the G4's slow bus speed would hold it back so significantly that a dual configuration is not worth it. Unless Freescale comes up with a better G4 bus architecture.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    fuel cell battery

upgradeable vido card

perhaps lighter
  • Reply 9 of 43
    frescofresco Posts: 26member
    A dual core G4 at 1.5 GHZ with a modern bus would be far more effective than a single G5 running at 2 GHZ.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

I personally hope Apple holds off on the G5 PB until they can really do it right

personally, I wouldnt want a g5 laptop if it means a 2+ inch case and 2 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dual G6, 256MB graphics. 16x ExtraSuperDrive, 400GB hard drive, 19" 16:9 display, FireWire 800, USB 2.0 (7 ports), 4lbs, .5" thick, black metal, blue-glowing Apple logo, slot-loading floppy drive, built-in Zip/Orb drive, GPS, surround sound, DVI and $1,199.

Anything less than that, and I'm going to have to switch to a PC because time is money and I'm an important professional, and I won't settle for anything less.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Dual G6, 256MB graphics. 16x ExtraSuperDrive, 400GB hard drive, 19" 16:9 display, FireWire 800, USB 2.0 (7 ports), 4lbs, .5" thick, black metal, blue-glowing Apple logo, slot-loading floppy drive, built-in Zip/Orb drive, GPS, surround sound, DVI and $1,199.

Anything less than that, and I'm going to have to switch to a PC because time is money and I'm an important professional, and I won't settle for anything less.

Would you poeple please stop that cynical writing. just say something plausible.

I expect some Freescale to come out with a whole lot better G4.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Lighten up. More "silly" than "cynical".

A difference. Learn it.

But since you asked nice: a mid-GHz G5, I'd imagine. Standard hard-drive bumps and 128MB graphics. Maybe a new case design (hopefully not larger/bulkier, otherwise why bother?). FireWire 800, USB 2.0, and all the usual ports.

Not rocket science. Can't be anything TOO radical or "implausible", can it? Not sure what some of you are waiting on, but I hope your Expect-O-Meter? is calibrated properly...
  • Reply 14 of 43
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

but the slots are so cool

Peter North is into slots
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Peter North is into slots

and hard drives

i thought of another one, better AE reception
  • Reply 16 of 43
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    SATA hard drives (standard 5400RPM, upgradeable to 7200RPM) with 8MB cache

better screens

Longer battery life

Other than that I like the current ones pretty well. I just want better hard drives because I feel that has a bigger oost on overall speed/feel.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Why do you hate slot? Only reason not to is because it can not take the minidisks.

That's it exactly -- I love mini CD-Rs. The small size makes them a lot easier to carry around than full sized CDs, and they hold enough information to be quite useful. They hold 210 MB and easily fit into a pocket -- I really miss using them since I got my Ti Powerbook.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

Besides a g5 and 5 hour battery life, here is what i want

Being a big fan of the current 12-inch PowerBook 1.33Ghz, I want Apple to keep improving on it. Like pscates, I'd be happy with a 1.5Ghz G5. I would like it to scale down to 500Mhz or even lower for insanely great battery life.

I was also a big fan of the Wallstreet/Pismo's curvy black plastic case. I also enjoy my iBook's rugged polycarbonate shell. So my dream new PowerBook would return to some form of a curvy plastic shell. This time it would be based on carbon fiber and resin that can take a beating and wouldn't dent like the Titanium and Aluminum PBs.

Finally, I do want a better screen, like jade. The LCD panels that Apple uses in the 12-inch PB and the 12" iBook are terrible. Sure they're not nearly as bad as the passive matrix screen on my first color PowerBook (a 520c Blackbird), but this is 2004! When my small PowerBook is plugged in, I want more brightness.

That's about it for my wish list.

C.T.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    1. An instant feeling that they are well built (no initial reports regarding white spots, loose batteries, hinge problems, overheating issues etc.). No new PB5300 fiasco, thank you.

2. An instant feeling that they are cutting edge (high end graphic cards, large, fast HD, no more G4 - even though that processor might well become an amazing one, it still carries the Moto stigma).

3. An instant feeling of ruggedness. I don't mind sacrificing some of the "slim sexiness" in favour of a 'book that doesn't get to hot, wont bend easily and can withstand a litte (unintentional) abuse. I.e. bring back the Pismo feeling...

4. An instant feeling of high-tech beauty. No Alienware/Dell tackiness.

5. An instant feeling of professionality. Better screen. Brighter, sharper and with *Higher resolution* (and you "1024x768 is ideal"-people can shut up already).
  • Reply 20 of 43
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

.5" thick, black metal,

I know it may be in jest...but I actually would prefer a slightly thicker powerbook than the current one.

Perhaps not as thick as an iBook, but even something along the lines of the 12" PB is fine. I just find the current 15 and 17" models a tad too delicate.

I recall fondly those days when I could bring a laptop (Wallstreet) to bed and not be concerned I'd roll over it and squish it. Today's iBooks are great for that, and although many here probably do it with their PB's, I would be uncomfortable.